Samsung says Apple lawsuits have put its Galaxy Tab on the map

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung officials have credited Apple's lawsuits for attracting attention to its Galaxy Tab lineup, while a new advertisement is portraying the device as "the tablet Apple tried to stop."

The head of Samsung Australia's mobile division told The Sydney Morning Herald this week that Apple's lawsuits attempting to block the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have made the product a "household name." The recently overturned injunction against the touchscreen tablet will officially end this Friday, when the Galaxy Tab 10.1 goes on sale in Australia.

"At the end of the day the media awareness certainly made the Galaxy Tab 10.1 a household name compared to probably what it would've been based on the investment that we would've put into it from a marketing perspective," said Typer McGee, Samsung Australia vice president of telecommunications.

Samsung has even gone a step further in attempt to turn Apple's legal action against it, taking out an advertisement in The Sun-Herald captured by Twitter User Martin Aungle (via Engadget). The ad boasts that the Galaxy Tab is "the tablet Apple tried to stop," adding the slogan: "It's time to Tab."

It isn't the first time Samsung has attempted to call out Apple in an advertisement. Last month, the company promoted its new Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone by mocking customers who wait in line for Apple's new iPhone models.

To overcome another injunction barring sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, Samsung redesigned the device to bypass claims of patent infringement by Apple. The new model, known as the Galaxy Tab 10.1N, attempts to avoid design-related intellectual property owned by Apple.

As for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that will be released in Australia on Friday, McGee said the device has not been changed for the worse as a result of Apple's patent infringement claims. "If you look at the specs of the device, they're identical to the global device that's available out there," he said.

Apple made the first attack in the courtroom against Samsung in April, with a lawsuit accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. That sparked a worldwide legal battle in which both companies have accused the other of patent infringement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    Quote:

The ad boasts that the Galaxy Tab is "the tablet Apple tried to stop,"

? I was just joking, Samsung? You didn't have to use my slogan.

Actually, I didn't give you leave to use my slogan. Lawsuit time?
  • Reply 2 of 135
    From now one, all tablets should look like this if they are non-Apple.

• Reply 3 of 135
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung officials have credited Apple's lawsuits for attracting attention to its Galaxy Tab lineup, while a new advertisement is portraying the device as "the tablet Apple tried to stop.

They are correct. Before this stuff started, I didn't think anything specific about the Galaxy Tab. They just were part of an undifferentiated whole of various Android Tablets.

But now, I went to Best Buy, and I noticed the Sammy specifically. And I noticed the Tab 8.9, with its perfect size.

Smart of Samsung to turn lemons into lemonade.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    So Samsung is now advertising for Apple? Kinda reminds me of political advertising. They blow the whole thing out of context to make themselves look good. It will appeal to people who are already Samsung die-hard fans and everyone else will see it for what it is. This reminds me of the of the recent political ads in Wisconsin that show teachers being *for* pay cuts and union busting. It is really pretty ridiculous and only the far right actually believes the nonsense.
  • Reply 5 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Galaxy Tab - "The tablet that nobody wants to buy"
  • Reply 6 of 135
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    You have to give Samsung credit...they are really "all in" with this. At the end of the day it comes down to this:

1) Samsung clearly copied the look and feel of the iPad and iPhone.

2) Samsung is very likely guilty of infringing on several patents in this regard.

3) Regardless of Apple's ability to stop these products from being sold legally, the iPad and iPhone will continue to dominate.

Another thought....the first thing that occurred to me when I read this headline was "it sounds like Samsung knows they are going to lose something big soon." Just a hunch....
  • Reply 7 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    It did get them lots of free publicity.

On the phone side, I dont know there phone sales numbers but I sure see lots of people buying samsung phones here in Montreal. I wouldn't be suprise if they are the biggest android phone seller.

Apple need to come up with a bigger/thinner/lighter phone soon because its clearly loosing sales here. But the smartphone market is in such a boom that Apple will still break there own sales numbers in Q4.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    In related news Jeffery Dahmer makes name for himself by stealing the lives of 17 men and boys. Sure, you can get known, but I doubt the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true when trying to sell a product. That said, if they turn a profit stealing from their betters then so be it. That's the way the game works.
  • Reply 9 of 135
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

It did get them lots of free publicity.

On the phone side, I dont know there phone sales numbers but I sure see lots of people buying samsung phones here in Montreal. I wouldn't be suprise if they are the biggest android phone seller.

Who cares?

Quote:

Apple need to come up with a bigger/thinner/lighter phone soon because its clearly loosing sales here. But the smartphone market is in such a boom that Apple will still break there own sales numbers in Q4.

You mean based on your own completely useless anecdotal evidence gathered in your neighborhood? Apple is not "loosing" sales [sic], nor do they "need" to release anything like that. No one is looking at an iPhone and saying "gee, I wish it was bigger, thinner, and lighter."
  • Reply 10 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

From now one, all tablets should look like this if they are non-Apple.

That episode came out a few weeks after I made this:

COINCIDENCE?!
  • Reply 11 of 135
    Right, like how Pac-Man put K.C. Munchkin on the map.
  • Reply 12 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Who cares?

You mean based on your own completely useless anecdotal evidence gathered in your neighborhood? Apple is not "loosing" sales [sic], nor do they "need" to release anything like that. No one is looking at an iPhone and saying "gee, I wish it was bigger, thinner, and lighter."

Amen.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    Quote:

Owners might not be saying that but I would guess that there are a lot of people who would get hooked into buying a phone because it is bigger (not sure about thinner or lighter).

So Apple would gain customers with such a phone, imo.

I don't think gains could be viewed as a bad thing.
  • Reply 14 of 135
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

image: http://i.imgur.com/pFDdO.png

COINCIDENCE?!

They probably made the episode months earlier so most likely, but you can still get points for originality as well for a great name, Triab.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    Yes it has put them on the map. As copy cats, IP violaters, tongue forked executives. Yep it certainly has put them on the map.
  • Reply 16 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

COINCIDENCE?!

Maybe, but those episodes are filmed about 4-6 weeks prior to airing.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think gains could be viewed as a bad thing.

I don't think that marketshare is everything. Apple is never going to have a greater marketshare than Android now, when it comes to phones, as a fine steakhouse is never going to sell more hamburgers than a McDonald's does. And that's ok.
  • Reply 18 of 135
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In related news Jeffery Dahmer makes name for himself by stealing the lives of 17 men and boys. Sure, you can get known, but I doubt the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true when trying to sell a product. That said, if they turn a profit stealing from their betters then so be it. That's the way the game works.

In one case we have a serial killer cannibal. In the other we have one company just trying to do business and exploiting the attacks of its competitor. Your analogy is totally appropriate, classy and accurate.
  • Reply 19 of 135
    lol

Samsung is now acting like the now-destroyed Psystar!
  • Reply 20 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Who cares?

Has an AAPL stock owner I care a lot.

Quote:

Samsung did sold MORE smarthphones than Apple in Q3. And they are not dumping them at cost, they are making big $$ on them. Maybe they copied Apple design, but it sure is working for them.