Verizon soaking high end Android buyers to make up for iPhone subsidies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 238
    I'm a big iPhone fan and everything, but the conclusion of this article is just incorrect.

High end Android buyers are willing to spend more money and wants to be able to upgrade as soon as it can, so the fact Verizon is providing a lower subsidy and higher price, let its users to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I don't see that has anything to do with Apple at all.
  • Reply 22 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

That is all Apple seems to talk about. The number one reason Apple hates Android so much. No matter what Apple does, Android keeps pulling away. I give it 5 years and the iPhone will be the Mac, very niche very little market share. Android will be everywhere and Google will be laughing.

Emoticon limit. Just pretend these continue until the post CHARACTER limit.
  • Reply 23 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

And when people spend $100 more for a phone that is supposed to be inferior to the iPhone what does that mean? The Android phones are selling, regardless of the high price.

Which Android phones are selling?

They range from sub $100 PAYG phones up to the ones under discussion here.

Google does nothing to discourage the RDF among a lot of Fandroid's who seem to think Android sales are all based on high end models.

I wonder what the price point breakdown of "550,000 activations a day" is?

btw, over here these are being dumped, there must be a lot in the channel.
  • Reply 24 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I'm a big iPhone fan and everything, but the conclusion of this article is just incorrect.

High end Android buyers are willing to spend more money and wants to be able to upgrade as soon as it can, so the fact Verizon is providing a lower subsidy and higher price, let its users to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I don't see that has anything to do with Apple at all.

It doesnt because Apple fixes its prices. Carriers CAN NOT sell the iPhone for anything different then what Apple allows it. Android on the other hand does not make these demands therefore the carriers are free to sell for whatever they can get. And right now they are getting paid. Android must be doing something right if people are willing to pay these obviouly high prices??
  • Reply 25 of 238
    I don't understand what this article is trying to convey. It costs Verizon more to sell an iPhone and an Android? The 32GB iPhone and Galaxy Nexus are the same price. And, if Verizon has to subsidize the iPhone more than others, isn't that a bad thing for consumers? Verizon has to make up that money somehow which means higher monthly service prices. Wouldn't you rather pay a little more up front to save on your month service for the next 2 years (if that was an option, obviously)? Not everyone wants an iPhone?let them choose what they want. Some people like the clean cut iPhone, others like the hard edge Android. It's a matter of choice?present the options and let consumers choose. It's as if convincing people to buy iPhone's is for the greater good of society. Seems that websites like this keep the Android vs. iPhone saga going?reminds me of Nintendo vs. Sega. Ah, the good ol' days. When we didn't have to worry about smartphones.

(Sent from my Mac so don't chew me out for being some Android hugger).
  • Reply 26 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Emoticon limit. Just pretend these continue until the post CHARACTER limit.

Of course, when all else fails break out the emoticons, kind of like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying lalalalalalala, good job.
  • Reply 27 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Which Android phones are selling?

They range from sub $100 PAYG phones up to the ones under discussion here.

Google does nothing to discourage the RDF among a lot of Fandroid's who seem to think Android sales are all based on high end models.

I wonder what the price point breakdown of "550,000 activations a day" is?

btw, over here these are being dumped, there must be a lot in the channel.

Since your Google is broken:

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...updates-first/

The top phones are highend models. I love the assumption the only Android phones selling are cheapo flip phones.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393546,00.asp

How can that be?????
  • Reply 28 of 238
    Quote:

That is all Apple seems to talk about. The number one reason Apple hates Android so much. No matter what Apple does, Android keeps pulling away. I give it 5 years and the iPhone will be the Mac, very niche very little market share. Android will be everywhere and Google will be laughing.

And Apple will sell 90%+ of all the high-end phones and garner the Lion's share of all the profits, while leading the way with almost ALL the innovation in the marketplace.

Yep, terrible result for Apple and it's customers.
  • Reply 29 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

You need to reevaluate your definition of niche.
  • Reply 30 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Show me that in 5 years then we can talk. Re-read my statement.
  • Reply 31 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Show me that in 5 years then we can talk. Re-read my statement.

You made the claim as fact with your "Android will be everywhere and Google will be laughing." so show us your proof from 5 years in the future or shut the fuck up.
  • Reply 32 of 238
    Quote:

Since your Google is broken:

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...updates-first/

The top phones are highend models. I love the assumption the only Android phones selling are cheapo flip phones.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393546,00.asp

How can that be?????

What's the 28% "other", apart from being the largest category in your limited study?

btw "550,000 activations a day" aren't happening in the US, which is where the study you linked to is based.

Android makers seem to have reverted to the old rules, once used so effectively by Nokia.

1. Release new model and charge a premium to hyped up early adopters.

2. Wait a month or so then drop prices for the bread and butter.

3 Six months or so dump the excess.

4. repeat with next big thing, e.g. Galaxy 3
  • Reply 33 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

And Apple will sell 90%+ of all the high-end phones and garner the Lion's share of all the profits, while leading the way with almost ALL the innovation in the marketplace.

Yep, terrible result for Apple and it's customers.

Innovation, sure 3 years ago. iPhone has not changed much since its debut. 3.5 inch screen, same general boring shape, same genral boring everything. Way to innovate. As Apple sits by, Samsung and HTC continue to push the smart phone to greater heights which is evident by A - People willing to spend more money (as this article shows) and B - the growing gap in market share Android continues to create with all other smartphone OS's.

As for profit, cannot argue there, Apple knows its robots will purchase pretty much whatever they produce no matter the cost. Apple is brilliant in this regard, its profits do not benefit the customer one bit.
  • Reply 34 of 238
    Quote:

Of course, when all else fails break out the emoticons, kind of like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying lalalalalalala, good job.

When you show some proof from the last five years that absolutely anything you say is in any way going to happen, then we can talk, I think.

Until then, iOS will gain more developers, Android will be shunned further, Apple and its associates will make all the profits, and we'll be the ones laughing.
  • Reply 35 of 238
    Snobby Robbers Only Steal iPhones, Refuse To Take Droids Or Blackberries

http://www.cultofmac.com/135564/snob...#disqus_thread
  • Reply 36 of 238
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"There you go again (with apologies to Ronny R)". What's with the facts already? - don't confuse the troll with facts. If we are accused of sticking our fingers in our ears, maybe he is just covering his eyes when he sees a chart like this (you know, Monkey see, monkey do, etc - with apologies to our simian friends).
  • Reply 37 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's the 28% "other", apart from being the largest category in your limited study?

btw "550,000 activations a day" aren't happening in the US, which is where the study you linked to is based.

Android makers seem to have reverted to the old rules, once used so effectively by Nokia.

1. Release new model and charge a premium to hyped up early adopters.

2. Wait a month or so then drop prices for the bread and butter.

3 Six months or so dump the excess.

4. repeat with next big thing, e.g. Galaxy 3

The difference though is that Nokia really did not have much compitition when it used this strategy. Android has massive compition and yet still sells phones at crazy prices. They must be doing something right.
  • Reply 38 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

"There you go again (with apologies to tricky dick)". What with the facts already - don't confuse the troll with facts. If we are accused of sticking our fingers in our ears, maybe he is just covering his eyes when he sees a chart like this (you know, Monkey see, monkey do, etc - with apologies to our simian friends).

What I see is Android having 44% of the market. That is one fact I see. I also predicted that in 5 YEARS iPhone would be niche, how does your 2011, fact driven chart have anything to do with that statement? Oh it doesnt. Lets see what that chart looks like this time next year??? Because a year ago that chart would have had Android at around 25%, so in 1 year it nearly doubled.
  • Reply 39 of 238
    Quote:

Innovation, sure 3 years ago. iPhone has not changed much since its debut. 3.5 inch screen, same general boring shape, same genral boring everything. Way to innovate. As Apple sits by, Samsung and HTC continue to push the smart phone to greater heights which is evident by A - People willing to spend more money (as this article shows) and B - the growing gap in market share Android continues to create with all other smartphone OS's.

As for profit, cannot argue there, Apple knows its robots will purchase pretty much whatever they produce no matter the cost. Apple is brilliant in this regard, its profits do not benefit the customer one bit.

Judging by the language you use and due to the myths you are attempting to perpetuate, I have a question.

How much are you being paid to write that crap?
  • Reply 40 of 238
    There were two reasonable comments in this entire thread.

I hope they get addressed.