Verizon soaking high end Android buyers to make up for iPhone subsidies

Comments

• Reply 41 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Judging by the language you use and due to the myths you are attempting to perpetuate, I have a question.

How much are you being paid to write that crap?

I wish I got paid for pointing out the obvious. If you can dispute what I wrote do so, but the facts are the facts, the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut. Screen size, demensions, nothing.

Apple's massive innovation:

• Reply 42 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The difference though is that Nokia really did not have much compitition when it used this strategy. Android has massive compition and yet still sells phones at crazy prices. They must be doing something right.

Brainwashing g-sheeps with hype, or is that g-robots (to keep with the whole androidy theme thing)?
  • Reply 43 of 238
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I can't even start. It is sad.
  • Reply 44 of 238
    Snobby Robbers Only Steal iPhones, Refuse To Take Droids Or Blackberries

http://www.cultofmac.com/135564/snob...#disqus_thread
  • Reply 45 of 238
    The Android "High End" market consists of contrarians who a) ignore facts and cling to their beliefs that android is "open." (how's that NFC working out for you?) and b) by supporting Android, they are the "occupiers" of a higher calling ... and of course, only they are smart enough not to fall Apple's iPhone "hype."

Never mind that the iPhone hardware, software, ecosystem and Ui are vastly superior (there has not been one Android review no matter how positive where the words clunky & sluggish UI get tagged with Google's copycat OS).

Or the only proof anyone needs. iPhones are never discounted - even after 20 months until the next one comes along while an Android phone never stays at "full subsidized price" after 3 weeks. Consumers worldwide speak the only truth and cuts through the clutter.

Of course, everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned money on whatever but know that you are payng for the "best" Android phone at a higher price because you are so-anti Apple that you are willing to spend an extra hundred or two just to carry a "different" phone and that's fine, as long as you realize that is the ONLY REASON. That you are purposely paying extra for an inferior phone.

And of course, an un-ugradable phone when the next "bestest" android phone comes out next month or when Google finally realizes in 6 months that they have to give the best new features to Moto to save their $12 BILLION dollar purchase ... but hey, you get to pay for all that ... meanwhile, on the Apple sie, Apple delivers the best technology and forces the telcos to deliver at the best price for consumers.*

*The same company that broke the hold on telcos adding apps or controlling every part of the phone ...
  • Reply 46 of 238
    Quote:

Show me that in 5 years then we can talk. Re-read my statement.

At the rate this is going:

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/upl...0.35.47-AM.png

Apple might have most of all the profit by then. This represents the entire handset market an not just smartphones.

Apple will do very very well as this is nothing similar to the Mac/PC "wars".
  • Reply 47 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    The whole article would confuse the more casual AI reader. With almost daily claims that Android buyers are cheap, only get the free or BOGO Android phones anyway, and buy Android only because they can't afford an iPhone, how could those expensive Android smartphones be covering iPhone subsidies? Very few buy an expensive Android phone anyway with iPhones undercutting them on price, right?
  • Reply 48 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

The Android "High End" market consists of contrarians who a) ignore facts and cling to their beliefs that android is "open." (how's that NFC working out for you?) and b) by supporting Android, they are the "occupiers" of a higher calling ... and of course, only they are smart enough not to fall Apple's iPhone "hype."

Never mind that the iPhone hardware, software, ecosystem and Ui are vastly superior (there has not been one Android review no matter how positive where the words clunky & sluggish UI get tagged with Google's copycat OS).

Or the only proof anyone needs. iPhones are never discounted - even after 20 months until the next one comes along while an Android phone never stays at "full subsidized price" after 3 weeks. Consumers worldwide speak the only truth and cuts through the clutter.

Of course, everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned money on whatever but know that you are payng for the "best" Android phone at a higher price because you are so-anti Apple that you are willing to spend an extra hundred or two just to carry a "different" phone and that's fine, as long as you realize that is the ONLY REASON. That you are purposely paying extra for an inferior phone.

And of course, an un-ugradable phone when the next "bestest" android phone comes out next month or when Google finally realizes in 6 months that they have to give the best new features to Moto to save their $12 BILLION dollar purchase ... but hey, you get to pay for all that ... meanwhile, on the Apple sie, Apple delivers the best technology and forces the telcos to deliver at the best price for consumers.*

*The same company that broke the hold on telcos adding apps or controlling every part of the phone ...

You make ALLOT of assumption on the part of the Android shopper and if you think 3G and 3.5 inch screens are thev "best technology" then you definetly have purchased the right phone. Wow.
  • Reply 49 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Apple might have most of all the profit by then. This represents the entire handset market an not just smartphones.

He couldn't care less about profits. They're meaningless to him. You'll have to come up with something else for him to ignore if you want the argument to continue.
  • Reply 50 of 238
    Quote:

I wish I got paid for pointing out the obvious. If you can dispute what I wrote do so, but the facts are the facts, the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut. Screen size, demensions, nothing.

Apple's massive innovation:

So to you, the only thing that counts as change is "screen size"?

RAM

Processor

Cores

GPU

ROM

Resolution

Radios

Sensors

Battery life

These represent fundamentally "no change". The simple fact that Android has to re-invent its interface every 6 months is just an embarrassment to poor design to start with.

PS: Whoever made that image is clueless iPhone 2G? What is the iPhone 4G? Dude, that pic is laughable.
  • Reply 51 of 238
    Quote:

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/upl...0.35.47-AM.png

There is no dount that Apple will do very well, Apple is doing very well. Profit only benefits Apple, not the customer. Applefites and this article are bashing carriers for making big profits off of Android phones in one breath then compliment and bow down to Apple for doing the same thing. Makes no sense.
  • Reply 52 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I want a screen size that is practical in how I use my phone, being able to reach 100% of the screen with a thumb whilst using with one hand.

One man's "boring" is another man's practical and I'm not the only one.

Now you may not think that a jump from a single to dual core processor makes much of a difference coming from an Android background that's understandable as Android does not work terribly well with multithreaded processes (It probably has something to do with the "fake" Java Oracle is complaining about) but iOS flies due to it being more powerful.

Camera 5 megapixels???

wtf are Google and Samsung joking?

Using such a cheap camera module, I wonder f it's the same one used in this sub $200 PAYG Samsung Android phone

Bluetooth 4.0, where is it?

I see Motorola has come to the party with Bluetooth 4.0 on the droid RAZR so Android definitely supports it but where is it on the overpriced Nexus?
  • Reply 53 of 238
    Quote:

RAM

Processor

Cores

GPU

ROM

Resolution

Radios

Sensors

Battery life

These represent fundamentally "no change". The simple fact that Android has to re-invent its interface every 6 months is just an embarrassment to poor design to start with.

PS: Whoever made that image is clueless iPhone 2G? What is the iPhone 4G? Dude, that pic is laughable.

Laugh all you want, that pic still represents Apple's massive innovations at a glance. If you honestly think Android updates every six months you really need to do a bit more research, plus Android does not have to change interface every six months because the user can change it anytime they want. Your lack of knowledge is the only thing "laughable".
  • Reply 54 of 238
    Quote:

And yet Android still has the market, anmd the gap continues to widen.

Yeah it has the market, not because people are buying these high end phones, its all the free cheap and bogo phones plus the junk on prepaid carriers
  • Reply 55 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I want a screen size that is practical in how I use my phone, being able to reach 100% of the screen with a thumb whilst using with one hand.

One man's "boring" is another man's practical and I'm not the only one.

Now you may not think that a jump from a single to dual core processor makes much of a difference coming from an Android background that's understandable as Android does not work terribly well with multithreaded processes (It probably has something to do with the "fake" Java Oracle is complaining about) but iOS flies due to it being more powerful.

Camera 5 megapixels???

wtf are Google and Samsung joking?

Using such a cheap camera module, I wonder f it's the same one used in this sub $200 PAYG Samsung Android phone

Bluetooth 4.0, where is it?

I see Motorola has come to the party with Bluetooth 4.0 on the droid RAZR so Android definitely supports it but where is it on the overpriced Nexus?

So essentially what you are saying is that anything on the iPhone that is inferior to an Android phone is perfectly ok withyou because it is your "preference" to buy such things (screen) but then something that is inferior on an Android compared to the iPhone is a joke (camera)
  • Reply 56 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

...the iPhone has not fundmentally changed since its debut...

Oh that's going on record. I can't believe someone would actually suggest that moving from a:

?*412MHz ARMv6 ARM11 CPU to an 800MHz ARMv7 dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU is not fundamental.

? 128MB eDRAM to 512MB LPDDR2-800 is not fundamental.

? 480x320 LCD that is not made as a single unit to a 960x640 that is made as a single unit with better colour gamut and LED backlight is not fundamental.

? GSM(GPRS/EDGE) (100Kbps) and WiFi (802.11b/g) (1.5Mbps) to UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) (7Mbps) and 802.11(b/g/n) (30Mbps).

? 4GB NAND to 64GB NAND.

And of course that it just the tip of the iceberg off the top of my head without considering the memory bandwidth improvements , speed of the NAND, the efficiency of the components used, or any of the SW advancements in the device and accompanying ecosystem that set the iPhone as the most profitable and popular by mindshare handset after only a year on the market.

Nope, not a damn thing changed with it fundamentally¡ Except for all those those changes you repeated claimed would be the death of the iPhone that in turn became its greatest strength, like putting the antenna on the outside as the frame.
  • Reply 57 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

Yeah it has the market, not because people are buying these high end phones, its all the free cheap and bogo phones plus the junk on prepaid carriers

If I only had a facepalm big enough to cover this statement.
  • Reply 58 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The whole article would confuse the more casual AI reader. With almost daily claims that Android buyers are cheap, only get the free or BOGO Android phones anyway, and buy Android only because they can't afford an iPhone, how could those expensive Android smartphones be covering iPhone subsidies? Very few buy an expensive Android phone anyway with iPhones undercutting them on price, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

See. There's my point! Thank you Sector7.

The article's premise is very obviously bogus. Expensive Android phones couldn't possible be used to subsidize iPhones.
  • Reply 59 of 238
    Quote:

Laugh all you want, that pic still represents Apple's massive innovations at a glance.

"It looks the same. It's obviously the exact same phone. I as a customer am stupid to make any determination beyond that. On a related note, I'm sure glad that I bought my G5 iMac in August 2004 because Apple didn't even update that until August 2007. Absolutely nothing about the iMac family changed in those three years, so it was great that I bought it when I did. I'm also glad that I bought my G4 PowerBook in January 2003, because Apple didn't update that until October 2008! Can you imagine that? For five years, people were buying the exact same computer! Absolutely nothing at all changed! On another related note, I'm still waiting for Apple to update the PowerMac G5 that I bought in June 2003. It's December 2011, and Apple STILL HASN'T UPDATED IT. APPLE HAS SOLD EXACTLY THE SAME MACHINE FOR EIGHT YEARS!"

Now think long and hard, troll. Do you really want that to be your argument? Because that's what you've said so far.
  • Reply 60 of 238
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

RAM

Processor

Cores

GPU

ROM

Resolution

Radios

Sensors

Battery life

He has no concern how a device works or integrates with his life, but how he can show it off to others. He's the kind of the guy that pays way too much for a gaming machine with neon lights and fake flames on the size of his acrylic PC desktop so he can show off some other delusional geeks.