International iTunes Match rollout begins after premature launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has officially launched its cloud-based iTunes Match service in numerous countries, with the news coming on the heels of reports saying the company promised to refund customers who subscribed to a premature launch on Wednesday.

Following an accidental launch on Wednesday, Apple is officially rolling out iTunes Match to countries outside the U.S. and Brazil, with users seeing changes in their respective iTunes Stores granting them access to the service.

Citing Apple's support forums, iPodNN revealed on Thursday that the international iTunes Match launch was in fact premature, and refunds were being given to those who "accidentally" subscribed to the service. It now seems that Match is up and running in France, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Spain

Apple's subscriber-based music matching service was thought to have gone live on Wednesday but the sign-up page was removed and refunds were promised.

The page was reinstated on Thursday, allowing users to once again sign up for the service.

Spanish iTunes homepage with 'new' iTunes Match

Previous reports noted that some would-be subscribers were experiencing problems during the sign-up process, and those who managed to get through complained that they couldn't access the service. This lead some to take to Apple's support forums where it was explained that the launch was indeed accidental and all money paid would subsequently be refunded.

Because users can now subscribe to Match through the iTunes store, however, it is unclear if the refunds will still be issued or how the launch will affect those who subscribed during the premature rollout.

Screenshot of French iTunes Match landing page

The multi-country release of iTunes Match is confirmation that Apple secured a deal for cloud-based music distribution outside the U.S. and Brazil, as reported in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    We have about 15,000 audio files (mostly music) spread across 5 Macs that are available on iTunes match.

Some of the files are Podcasts -- others are old-time radio.

Many of the non-music files are 1-2 hours long.

These are available on all our iPads (1s and 2s) and our iPhone 4 and 4S.

None of these iDevices have any audio files stored on the devices.

For example, I am currently listen to an old Orson Wells radio broadcast from from 1938: War of the Worlds -- on my iPhone 4S... AirPlaying to The B&O in the Living Room...

This is a fantastic capability.

I think we'll have the family listen to the old radio Classic: "A Christmas Carol" on Christmas eve.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Not working for me in the UK. It just comes up with "iTunes Match has encountered an error. Please sign in again". Signing in again however, simply repeats the same error.

Apple really seem to struggle with this whole internet thing sometimes.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Not working for me in the UK. It just comes up with "iTunes Match has encountered an error. Please sign in again". Signing in again however, simply repeats the same error.

Apple really seem to struggle with this whole internet thing sometimes.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems...

There were some early problems in the US... but they got resolved quickly.

It wasn't exactly straight forward to set up -- you might want to do a Yahoo for "iTunes Match Problems"... there are quite a few hints and tips!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Just wanted to add Canada to the list! Using it right now!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Just got my Match setup and working, no issues so far...

I also noticed, TV Shows are now avaliable for redownloaing under the purchases tab in the store. Happy days
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Loving iTunes Match, but it needs work recognizing songs. Most CDs that I have matched 'miss' one song and upload the track, even though all tracks are in the iTunes store.

Then last night, I 'matched' a CD and ten out of twelve songs were uploaded. The same album is on iTunes.

Love it, needs work.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I wonder when (if) this will arrive in Italy. Knowing how complicated are copyright laws here (and not only copyright ones...), I doubt

It took years to have movies, we still do not have tv series...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonGurney View Post

Just got my Match setup and working, no issues so far...

I also noticed, TV Shows are now avaliable for redownloaing under the purchases tab in the store. Happy days

I noticed this too but for only a few more selected countries. Yeah Canada!!

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

• Reply 9 of 14
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    There is now a music and a TV section on the Apple TV. The TV section lets you stream purchased episodes. Nice

Now if they could do that with movies...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think we'll have the family listen to the old radio Classic: "A Christmas Carol" on Christmas eve.

OTR is great, whenever I start listening I just can't turn it off.

I would just like to confirm what others have been saying here. At the same time Match rolled out in Australia (and presumably the other countries), the ability to redownload TV shows came online. Previously you could only redownload Music, Apps and Books.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I was one of the people who prematurely activated iTunes Match yesterday before it was pulled. I contacted apple last night and they advised that it was not available yet in the UK and would refund my £21:99. However this morning iTunes Match is up and running on my Mac, so not sure if they've cancelled the refund or not.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    At last it's working. I left it uploading stuff overnight and have been trying it on my iPhone 4 over 3G. Seems kind of slow, even bringing up the music app causes a pause of around 30 seconds while it checks online for what's available. When playing music there's a pause of around 10-15 seconds before it plays, unlike Spotify, which is virtually instant.

Still, early days.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't have a massive collection of pirated songs I want to legitimise, but I do have a lot of ripped CDs that it would be nice to get professionally done album art for. I could spend hours browsing Amazon or Google Images, adding the artwork myself, but I wonder if it would be worth paying 1 year's subscription to save that time?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    You tried in iTunes using Advanced > Get Album Artwork