Apple again rumored to launch 7" iPad in 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I would use my iPad a lot more if it were a bit smaller. A 7" iPad would be perfect. I ended up buying a cheap 7" Android tablet just for the improved portability and better format as an eReader. Some people find sub-compacts suit their needs best, others really need an SUV. For me, a 7" tablet is a significant improvement in usability over a 10" one.

I'm not buying the excuses as to why Apple couldn't utilize a smaller screen. They design the hardware and write the software, they can do anything they want with it, including things you've never thought of.

Take a gander at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. It is the perfect size.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes and no. The iPad is the perfect size for me, but something in between the iPad and iPod would be perfect for my kids. They use their pods for gaming, YouTube, Facebook, ( some email), music and surfing, in that order.

A 7" iPad would be perfect for gaming. The iPhone is too small and the iPad is too clunky and heavy for gaming. Instead of holding the iPad with both hands and using your thumbs, you have to put the iPad on a flat surface and use your index fingers, which just doesn't work for certain games.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    A 7" iPod Touch/iPad would be great. And a 7" e-ink reader to complement the iPad. One of the reasons Apple was so successful with iTunes/iPod was that they covered every segment of the portable music player market. Apple needs to do the same with the tablet market. Cover the low end with a 5-7" iPod Touch/iPad. I'm tired of watching my 4 year old drop my iPad. Double down on iBooks with a dedicated e-ink reader. This would really help to counter Amazon's growing threat to the iTunes ecosystem.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Really

The whole point of iCloud is sync and that gives Apple the leverage to come out with different form factors for iOS and make that device easy to add to ones existing ecosystem.

I'd seriously consider a 7.85" iPad mini.

I think the lineup could be.

$199 iPod Touch 3.5" 16GB w/ Facetime and BT 4.0

$299 iPad Mini 7.85 16GB w/ FaceTime and BT 4.0

$499 and up iPad 3 HiRez
  • Reply 65 of 89
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

A 7" iPad would be perfect for gaming. The iPhone is too small and the iPad is too clunky and heavy for gaming. Instead of holding the iPad with both hands and using your thumbs, you have to put the iPad on a flat surface and use your index fingers, which just doesn't work for certain games.

DO you have really small hands or something? I never have to do that. Play the Tron game that was released when teh 2nd Tron movie came out. You control the tanks w/your thumbs on either side of the screen and it works great w/o needing to set the iPad down. Just an example

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I'm tired of watching my 4 year old drop my iPad.

My youngest is 3 1/2 and I don't recall a time she has dropped it b/c we've always impressed upon her how it is expensive and if she damages it she doesn't get to use it anymore Plus it's a first gen, so we have the Apple case for it and that pads it very well if it does drop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

Double down on iBooks with a dedicated e-ink reader.

Bleh, I don't think Apple wants to get in the business of a single purpose device like that when their current devices all do a perfectly fine job for reading plus so much more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think the lineup could be.

$199 iPod Touch 3.5" 16GB w/ Facetime and BT 4.0

$299 iPad Mini 7.85 16GB w/ FaceTime and BT 4.0

$499 and up iPad 3 HiRez

I think we will see a $400 iPad 2 16GB left in the mix and I think the iPod Touch and iPad Mini would both stick to 8GB. Otherwise yeah, and of course the iPad 3 will get BT 4 as well. Maybe wedge it into the iPad 2 if it doesn't have it yet.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

?I would love a 7" iPod Touch. (Because, let's face it, a 7-inch "iPad" IS a big iPod Touch, whereas the iPad's screen size makes it a much different beast.)

I have a Kindle Fire, and I love it ? warts and all. (Yes, I'm the one Mac geek who does, apparently.) An iPad is better, sure, but you can't stick it in your back pocket, either.

Wow you must have huge pockets lol. Your sticking a 7" kindle fire in your back pocket?
  • Reply 67 of 89
    A five or six inch diagonal size would be best for me. Seven inches at the outside would still work. Seven and eighty-five hundredths inches though not much bigger in length, is really much bigger in area. That would be bigger than ideal.

I wanted a bigger iPod Touch this year and didn't get one. I might have gone for one had there been a good internal upgrade, but all they offered was "white".

Apple made Garage Band work on the iPod Touch and that is one of the things I had desired. I hope the reports are wrong about the size. I hope the screen size is between five and seven inches and no larger. If the new model is the bigger size it doesn't seem worth the compromise. I might as well get an iPad.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Wow you must have huge pockets lol. Your sticking a 7" kindle fire in your back pocket?

A Nook Color with a 7" display fits comfortably if not solidly in the back pocket of a standard pair of slim-fit Levi's, 34 waist.

• Reply 69 of 89
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

A five or six inch diagonal size would be best for me. Seven inches at the outside would still work. Seven and eighty-five hundredths inches though not much bigger in length, is really much bigger in area. That would be bigger than ideal.

I wanted a bigger iPod Touch this year and didn't get one. I might have gone for one had there been a good internal upgrade, but all they offered was "white".

Apple made Garage Band work on the iPod Touch and that is one of the things I had desired. I hope the reports are wrong about the size. I hope the screen size is between five and seven inches and no larger. If the new model is the bigger size it doesn't seem worth the compromise. I might as well get an iPad.

6-7" would be awesome. My two wishes are that type of giant touch (or whatever it'd be called) and a nano that has Bluetooth capabilities so I can wear it as a watch and it send me my phones notifications so I don't have to pull it out of my pocket.

And for those thinking it'll cannibalize other products- just me- so small sample size- but I have a iPad and my daughter has a touch (only because I got it for $50- she's 2 so it's just for music in a dock). I would keep my iPad and still get this. I havent bought myself a touch (zero point when I have an iPhone). So here's a guy that would buy it and not in lieu of another product.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not seeing it. I could see a larger iPod Touch before a smaller iPad.

Ditto
  • Reply 71 of 89
    The 7" screen is for an infotainment system Apple is working on with the Volkswagen group. It will most likely debut in the 2013 Audi A3. Siri voice control, Apple's new maps. etc etc etc
  • Reply 72 of 89
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

The 7" screen is for an infotainment system Apple is working on with the Volkswagen group. It will most likely debut in the 2013 Audi A3. Siri voice control, Apple's new maps. etc etc etc

Reference or link?
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Reference or link?

There's an old story from 4 years ago about Audi and Apple partnering on a combo nav/audio/entertainment unit. At the time it was supposedly for the Volkswagen group within the company.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9768521-7.html

The rumor's been resurrected a few times. Perhaps the OP thinks he knows something concrete about it now.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's an old story from 4 years ago about Audi and Apple partnering on a combo nav/audio/entertainment unit. At the time it was supposedly for the Volkswagen group within the company.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9768521-7.html

The rumor's been resurrected a few times. Perhaps the OP thinks he knows something concrete about it now.

Thanks for the link Gator! Yeah... So if you watch every little tiny detail like I do, every time Apple mentions how many cars have iPod integration, they ALWAYS showed an Audi (even though Steve had a new Benz every several months). Audi has popped up in Apple commercials as well. They were also one of the FIRST apps in the app store. "The A4 Driving Experience" or something like that. Siri will decimate Microsoft Sync and Apple's gonna use VW as their first partner to do it. Probably Audi as it's a luxury brand...

I remember the touchscreen for the iPod nano popping up and everyone being like "what the frig? iPhone nano???" Same thing goin on here. This isn't and iPad it's infotainment.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    They'll give it a 6" screen, which matches the 3 x 5 card format; install proper Handwriting recognition; and call it the "NewTouch.

Cheers
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:

...circus quality backpeddling money show...

I so much LOVE the American language! Definitely taking Tony Thorne's Dictionary of Contemporary Slang (Amazon) with me this skiing holiday. Thanks for this 1 Sol!
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:

I'm not seeing it. I could see a larger iPod Touch before a smaller iPad.

Wouldn't that be same thing just about?
  • Reply 78 of 89
    "DigiTimes claimed ..."

That should make its untruth obvious before you even start. Digitimes makes their money from inventing rumors. Of course AI makes it from repeating them, so we get even silly ones from Digitimes.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A Nook Color with a 7" display fits comfortably if not solidly in the back pocket of a standard pair of slim-fit Levi's, 34 waist.

Seems like total BS to me.

The color nooks is:

210 x 130 x 12mm

Standard CD Jewel case is(smaller in every dimension):

141 x 124 x 10mm

I don't think Pocket size increases that much with waist size.

I wear size 32". I don't have a Color nook , but I do have standard CD case jewel case (thicker old style).

I tried every pair of jeans I own and CD Jewel case is not even close to fitting in back pocket of any of them, including two different pairs of Levis.

For wide load types it may fit partially into a back pocket of some jean, but it would seem to be fairly idiotic to carry it that way even if you could jam half of it into a back pocket.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Seems like total BS to me.

The color nooks is:

210 x 130 x 12mm

Standard CD Jewel case is(smaller in every dimension):

141 x 124 x 10mm

I don't think Pocket size increases that much with waist size.

I wear size 32". I don't have a Color nook , but I do have standard CD case jewel case (thicker old style).

I tried every pair of jeans I own and CD Jewel case is not even close to fitting in back pocket of any of them, including two different pairs of Levis.

For wide load types it may fit partially into a back pocket of some jean, but it would seem to be fairly idiotic to carry it that way even if you could jam half of it into a back pocket.

Since I have both the jeans and the Nook Color, I can confirm exactly what I claimed.

EDIT: And just for giggles I confirmed again in a pair of 505 straight-fits. It fits width wise just fine, tho the pocket isn't nearly deep enough for me to trust walking around with it for long.

EDIT2: the original Levi Slim-fits I mentioned were a 36, and not a 34 waist. My bad. The 505 Straights are a 34