Samsung sues Apple over 4 new patents, but backs off iPhone 4S complaint

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has added four new patents to its lawsuit against Apple in Germany, but has backed off of a complaint related to baseband chips in the iPhone 4S.

The handful of changes to the legal spat between Apple and Samsung in Germany took place in Mannheim Regional Court on Friday. Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents was on-hand for the proceedings, and provided a rundown of what transpired.

Samsung has now added four more patents and two new law firms to its complaints first filed this April in Germany. Those patents are:

European Patent 1679803: "Method for configuring gain factors for uplink service in radio telecommunication system"

European Patent 1720373 (B1): "Method and apparatus for reporting inter-frequency measurement using RACH message in a communication system"

Deutsches Patent 10040386: "Speech output device for data displayed on mobile telephone converts data from display into speech data for output via loudspeaker"

European Patent 1215867: "Emoticon input method for mobile terminal"

The latest patent relates to text input for a "smiley" emoticon, created by typing ":-)" on a device. As noted by Mueller, "Smiley or not, patents are serious business."

"I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decided to respond to this escalation by bringing several additional patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung in Germany," he said. "Since Apple already has six lawsuits going against Samsung in Mannheim, it might start a few new ones in Munich."

Samsung also said on Friday that it does not request a ruling with Apple products that utilize Qualcomm baseband chips. That applies to the iPhone 4S, which is the only Apple product to date using a Qualcomm baseband chip.

While some initially felt this meant Samsung was conceding its attacks against the iPhone 4S, Mueller said that Samsung "did not waive its rights with respect to baseband patent assertions against the iPhone 4S in general." Friday's decision was portrayed as a "tactical move" that would "streamline" the lawsuit that was discussed in court.

Still, Mueller said it's most likely that Samsung made the decision because last week a French court denied Samsung's request to ban sales of the iPhone 4S. In that case, the judge found that Apple was covered because Qualcomm, which makes the baseband chip in the iPhone 4S, licenses the patents-in-question from Samsung.

Of course, the matters discussed Friday are only a few of the numerous legal battles between Samsung and Apple across the globe. Apple made the first attack in the courtroom against Samsung in April, with a lawsuit accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad, and Samsung quickly fired back, while lawsuits between the two companies continue to mount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
  • Reply 2 of 75
    The CDMA iPhone uses a Qualcomm chip as well
  • Reply 3 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It’s very much in Samsung’s best interests to be able to clone Apple (and other) designs freely, with Apple (and others) convinced that Samsung should be left alone to get away with it.

It’s very much in Apple’s interest to let Samsung (and others) know that either they can’t get away with such blatant copying, or at least that Apple won’t stand still and let it be easy.

What if Samsung did not copy Apple, but instead innovated, like Microsoft has recently done and some tablet makers too? I’d rather see what Samsung can come up with on their own. I want more real choices competing in the market, not knock-offs.

Unfortunately, Apple can’t decide not to play the patent game—the game is there, and Apple is the most-sued tech company. And swapping suits for other suits is how it’s played

• Reply 4 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest patent relates to text input for a "smiley" emoticon, created by typing ":-)" on a device. As noted by Mueller, "Smiley or not, patents are serious business."

So If I do this >>> :-) or click this Samsung can sue me?
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I?d rather see what Samsung can come up with on their own.

You're already seeing it. That's all they have.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Technical patents > design "patents".

Get that into your heads people.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    They have a patent for emoticons? Wtf
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Pardon my French, but...

Someone actually patented the fucking smiley!?
  • Reply 9 of 75
    But samsung stuff go great with apple products!

• Reply 10 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Looking at my messages the iPhone doesn't convert
    Code:

":"")"

to smiley's.

That one should be pretty easy.

Edit

This forum converts ":" & ")" to an emoticon.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Apple has a design patent for rectangular tablets.. wtf?
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Mercedes has a design patent for a three pointed star in a circle wtf!

McDonalds has a design patent for two yellow arches wtf!

Audi has a design patent for a series of interlocked circles wtf!

etc

etc

etc

A tool that talks, imagine that.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Pardon my French, but...

Someone actually patented the fucking smiley!?

I will now patent "Punctuations acronyms for curse words input method for mobile terminal". So if anybody types F_&*k@ a*s&#! I will sue you.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

etc

etc

etc

The 3 you mentioned aren't design patents.

If you want to be a smartass be a good smartass.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Apple does not have a design patent for rectangular tablets. They have a design patent for the iPad. You can easily make a rectangular tablet that doesn't look like an iPad.

Samsung just needs to design their own products instead of blatantly copying Apple's ones.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Quote:

etc

etc

etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:

etc

etc

etc

Mercedes does not have a patent on 4 doors and a roof

Mcdonalds does not have a patent on the shape of a hamburger

Audi does not have a patent on front and rear seats

ect

ect

ect

A tool that has no clue, imagine that.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

I think I'll build a car with a radiator grille that consists of a three equidistantly pointed star inside a circular ring, after all there are no design patents covering that and I will not be using it for any particular type of branding.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

No worse than claiming to have a patent for a rectangular device with rounded corners. WTH!
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

Apple does not have a design patent for rectangular tablets. They have a design patent for the iPad. You can easily make a rectangular tablet that doesn't look like an iPad.

Samsung just needs to design their own products instead of blatantly copying Apple's ones.

No they have a design patent for a rounded rectangular slim form factor having device. The image they levied against Samsung was not the iPad. They have a separate design patent for the iPad...that they never presented in any case. Instead they presented an image of an object that a) doesn't exist and b) will likely never exist.

Yes, "rounded rectangle" is a simplification, but the actual design patent isn't far off.

Besides his point seems to be that in these cases anything goes.

If auto-hyperlinking is patented then auto-smilification is just as complex.