Mirroring Touch 4g?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2014
My son would like to play Angry Birds on out new 50" HDTV, so I asked the Apple store if there was an adapter to connect the 30 pin connector to my TV's HDMI to do this. They suggested the Apple digital AV Adapter, which I bought. Brought it home, connected it and nothing...no output whatsoever. Tried different HDMI cables in different HDMI inputs. Called Apple store back. One store says the Touch isn't supported (it lists the iPod Touch 4G on the front of the package). Called another store, who suggested Updating the iPod to the newest OS. Did that, still nothing. Called Apple store again (not paying Apple Support to tell me it's just not supported device), now they say I need to spend $100 on Apple TV and go through Airplay. If my "smart TV" didn't already give me Netflix, Hulu, etc., I might consider splurging on an Apple TV. But is seems pretty frivolous just to play a couple games

Outside of jailbreaking my iPod, is there a way to mirror a Touch 4G through my HDMI input?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Who's "they", because "they" were liars. It doesn't work. Take it back and get your money back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Store Page

Mirroring supported only by iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

Or you can jailbreak. I can mirror with my first-gen iPad using the VGA cable (for heaven's sake) after changing one 0 to a 1 in one plist.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who's "they", because "they" were liars. It doesn't work. Take it back and get your money back.

Or you can jailbreak. I can mirror with my first-gen iPad using the VGA cable (for heaven's sake) after changing one 0 to a 1 in one plist.

"They" were the employees answering the phone at the Apple Store. I pointed this out and the guy sheepishly said they were training new people. But at least TWO different people at two different stores said this.

What are the cons and other pros to jailbreaking, and how difficult/risky is it?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

What are the cons and other pros to jailbreaking, and how difficult/risky is it?

Con: Not sure if it can be done at all with the 4th gen on iOS 5 yet.

Pro: You'll get to mirror. That's all you need to mess with, so that's all you need to do with the jailbreak.

Difficult: Six clicks. Restoring to stock firmware is a single click (for any Apple Store-related trips).
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Other than mirror my Touch, what does Apple TV really have to offer over what my new "smart" TV has? I don't have my PC networked, just a CAT5 cable from my router
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Other than mirror my Touch, what does Apple TV really have to offer over what my new "smart" TV has?

A much better interface. Also, integration with the content of any and all iTunes libraries in your house, anything from the iTunes store, your photos on your computer, YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix (an actually good interface, they tell me), that sort of thing.

Quote:

I don't have my PC networked, just a CAT5 cable from my router

Then it's networked. Provided you have iTunes sharing turned on. You'd be able to see all your stuff there on your Apple TV.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    That's not working ..
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by olivia432 View Post

That's not working ..

I'm sure it's not.
  • Reply 8 of 19

So, does a touch 4g using ios 6, allow mirroring to a 720p tv via hdmi?

What would the physical connections be?

I'd pay the 99 bucks if it actually works without jailbreaking.  

• Reply 9 of 19

Originally Posted by jefffromwapak View Post

So, does a touch 4g using ios 6, allow mirroring to a 720p tv via hdmi?

There's this.

Or there're these.

• Reply 10 of 19

Dear Tallest Skil,

Specifically what I'd like to know is "Will Apple TV allow mirroring with Touch 4g?"

What I'm gathering is - it only works with iPhone 4 but not with the 4th gen. Touch.

Thanks

• Reply 11 of 19

Originally Posted by jefffromwapak View Post

Specifically what I'd like to know is "Will Apple TV allow mirroring with Touch 4g?"

What I'm gathering is - it only works with iPhone 4 but not with the 4th gen. Touch.

Right, my mistake, to the Apple TV requires a jailbreak. And if they're whiny about it, that means you'll have to jailbreak even if you do a direct HDMI connection. I forgot. Disregard my earlier post.

I remember that all you have to do is jailbreak, install absolutely nothing, and simply change one "0" in one .plist file to a "1". And then it works perfectly. That's how I did it with my first-gen iPad.

But you have to jailbreak, even though the hardware 100% supports it.

• Reply 12 of 19
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member

Lemme see if I have this correct...to get an iPod Touch 4G to mirror on a HDTV, you need the 40 pin to HDMI adapter cable, and Jailbreak the 4G. No Apple TV required, correct? Just a side comment...why does Apple do this? They have hardware that supports a function that would make the customer happy, and not lose any real money for Apple, but refuse to do so. Reminds me of those Samsung commercials that ran a couple months ago showing all the people waiting in line for the new iPhone. This is why I will never own an Apple anything besides their music players, which have no real alternative.

• Reply 13 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Lemme see if I have this correct...to get an iPod Touch 4G to mirror on a HDTV, you need the 40 pin to HDMI adapter cable, and Jailbreak the 4G. No Apple TV required, correct?

Sure, right. You can do either wirelessly with Apple TV or with a direct connection.

Just a side comment...why does Apple do this? They have hardware that supports a function…

But it doesn't. Not to Apple's liking. There's roughly 1/8th a second lag when I did it with my iPad; newer models can handle the mirroring without such.

This is why I will never own an Apple anything besides their music players…

Abject nonsense.

• Reply 14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, right. You can do either wirelessly with Apple TV or with a direct connection.

But it doesn't. Not to Apple's liking. There's roughly 1/8th a second lag when I did it with my iPad; newer models can handle the mirroring without such.

Abject nonsense.

Point 1. Good to know

Point 2. ????

Point 3. "To each, his own"

• Reply 15 of 19

Point 2. ????

It doesn't operate as well as Apple would like it to operate, hence they don't allow it. It's the same with any video game, for example: yes, it can run on GPUs lower than the "minimum" each game says, but the performance is so bad that the creators prevent it from doing so for the sake of the user's experience.

Point 3. "To each, his own"

Your belief is based in nonsense.

• Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your belief is based in nonsense.

Ahhh, OK....

• Reply 17 of 19

Ahhh, OK....

I've explained why it is nonsense. Your continued belief thereof is only detrimental.

• Reply 18 of 19

Yeah I have the 30 pin to AV adapter with my iPod 4th Generation and at the moment I am not at the latest iOS because iOS7 is not supported on 4th Generation. I would just like to tell you that you can't mirror but for instance go into videos and it should work then. Answering you question you can't mirror.:devil: 

• Reply 19 of 19
    nunanuna Posts: 1member

The iPod 4 Is a device mainly to listen to music you can also take pictures and surf the web. The iPod four comes with 2 different colors which one being white and the other being black. The iPod 4 is such a skinny device that fits perfectly in your hand its thinner than a phone. But like any other product it also has its bad qualities and it competitors. Many bad things about the iPod 4 is that the regular camera is terrible, it doesn't come with a flash so it mainly looks blurry. See also: http://bestapplecases.com/best-beautiful-ipod-touch-4g-cases/