NYT: Apple secretly working on wearable, Siri-compatible computers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well the blind spot concern is valid.

Yep, and I'm sure governments will regulate their use in driving. Which is a shame because you could imagine with AR a cleaner prettier world without sign posts. AR virtual signposts overlaid instead.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The idea predates comm badges, and is, as described, much more similar to this:

I've been expecting an iPhone Nano for some time precisely because of this.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Great.

So the mercantile society of plastic gave us a huge spike in Alzheimer's disease (plastic degrades over time and frees neurotoxins in the air that kill your little fragile brain).

So Wifi and Bluetooth expose our little fragile brains to electromagnetic waves that increase the rate of migraines.

And Google/Apple's idea of progress is to add even more stuff, closer to us, more connected? I hope not.

On the other hand, I recently observed that several products that were banned in my country for being known toxics (cancer inducing stuff) are still sold on the other side of the border. I wish the guys who knowingly keep selling them because "it has not been proven dangerous in this other country" could be tried for high treason against the people and executed in a very painful fashion.

We have lost many, many geniuses and more normal "bright minds" to cancer and Alzheimer. How long will we keep this going?

Uh oh. Someone get him back into his cave.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yep, and I'm sure governments will regulate their use in driving. Which is a shame because you could imagine with AR a cleaner prettier world without sign posts. AR virtual signposts overlaid instead.

That's why I believe Apple should get into auto NAV systems.

What works in one environment does not necessarily work in another. Cars need their own user interfaces that are optimized for safety while operating the vehicle.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Great.

So the mercantile society of plastic gave us a huge spike in Alzheimer's disease (plastic degrades over time and frees neurotoxins in the air that kill your little fragile brain).

So Wifi and Bluetooth expose our little fragile brains to electromagnetic waves that increase the rate of migraines.

And Google/Apple's idea of progress is to add even more stuff, closer to us, more connected? I hope not.

On the other hand, I recently observed that several products that were banned in my country for being known toxics (cancer inducing stuff) are still sold on the other side of the border. I wish the guys who knowingly keep selling them because "it has not been proven dangerous in this other country" could be tried for high treason against the people and executed in a very painful fashion.

We have lost many, many geniuses and more normal "bright minds" to cancer and Alzheimer. How long will we keep this going?

A nice piece of aluminum foil pressed tightly around your head to conform to your skull makes a useful shield. Its effectiveness is enhanced if you attach a long piece of fine copper wire to the metal skull cap so that it can trail behind you as a ground. Makes quite a fashion statement, too. Beware, however, of practical jokers who may sneak up behind you and insert the end of the wire into a wall outlet. Electroshock therapy is not for amateurs.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    If they are shorts, can we fart/shit on it? Can we have a refund if the smell is too bad and the device breaks down?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

The ad fails to show what will be the killer feature of wearable computing though. Augmented Reality. Paired together this will be the next big evolutionary step in computing since the tablet and perhaps since the GUI/Mouse.

I'm not so sure. People have been pushing the idea of wearable computers for over 35 years now and it hasn't happened yet.

I think the main problem is that there are not really many uses for a wearable computer. The kind of things most people envision when they conceptualise it are things like body monitoring (something almost no one wants to do it seems) and wearing virtual reality headsets (something even less people want to do).

I can see the value of the wrist-watch type add-on computer discussed in some of these posts but even then all you are doing is moving it from your pocket to your wrist. One could just as easily take the phone out of one's pocket and talk directly to it.

I don't see any real applications of this kind of technology yet. At least not any that the average person is going to need/want enough to drive the adoption curve.

Augmented reality is okay and all, but it's not very accurate and not very useful overall. Who wants to walk down the street wearing special specs all the time, just so that one can see overlays of what are essentially advertisements on top of all the everyday objects?

I'm not saying it isn't a cool thing for geeks to contemplate, but what Jane or John Doe in the street is going to want that?
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Jesus ....

Yet again, Apple leads the paradigm switch forward -- first with tablets & now with the Negroponte/MIT: wearable computing.

Result?

Everyone & thier cousin Ralph will fenounce it, then, after it's record breaking "How Did I Live Before Without This?" smash hit,

they will climb and fall all over each other to blatantly copy what is clearly a specifically Apple concept.

No "Taking Something Existing & Improving It" here -- this is strictly an Apple idea.

I bet the support-/eco-system surrounding it is already sketched out.

A Jony Ive/[Insert World's Leading Hip Jewelry Designer's Name Here-designed "iBauble"?!?

Go Apple, go !!!!
  • Reply 29 of 72
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Rotflmao! You, Sir, are too funny!
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Augmented reality is okay and all, but it's not very accurate and not very useful overall. Who wants to walk down the street wearing special specs all the time, just so that one can see overlays of what are essentially advertisements on top of all the everyday objects?

I'm not saying it isn't a cool thing for geeks to contemplate, but what Jane or John Doe in the street is going to want that?

It is in it's infancy (I'm working on AR projects myself right now so I'm limited in what I can say), but there is so much more to it beyond the initial driving force (advertising).

Object recognition hooked up to a wikipedia style DB, or with price comparison. Virtual signposts (as I said above). … then off the top of my head it becomes tricky to suggest ideas without shooting myself in the foot. But here's one for you.. Zoom! Imagine looking at an object in the distance, then being able to zoom in on the area that your eyes are focussed upon.

This is not just an evolutionary leap in computing, it could be considered an evolutionary leap for mankind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not so sure. People have been pushing the idea of wearable computers for over 35 years now and it hasn't happened yet.

Much like tablet computing and smart phones and voice recognition, it's time will come. That's why AR is such an important ingredient , only when you marry up AR and wearable computing does each become appealing and useful to the mass market.

Until then, yep it's mostly just gimmicks .
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Next thing you know they'll want to implant computers... D'oh....SINGULARITY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Oh so you've seen the prototype for the iPhone 10
  • Reply 32 of 72
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A nice piece of aluminum foil pressed tightly around your head to conform to your skull makes a useful shield. Its effectiveness is enhanced if you attach a long piece of fine copper wire to the metal skull cap so that it can trail behind you as a ground. Makes quite a fashion statement, too. Beware, however, of practical jokers who may sneak up behind you and insert the end of the wire into a wall outlet. Electroshock therapy is not for amateurs.

Tinfoil works even better, especially if formed into the shape of a Pyramid. It is said that in Atlantis, before they suffered their great disaster and disappeared forever, the technology was so advanced that the electromagnetic waves emitted by their devices prevented and/or cured cancer as opposed to causing it. So sad, what happened to them. All we can hope now is that the aliens (that helped Atlanteans out) return to Earth to help us too.

Thompson
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh so you've seen the prototype for the iPhone 10

That would be the iPhone X.

I speculated a bit on this before. Making the current nano a full up iOS device will be a killer. Lot of tech work that can't be overestimeted though - that's a pretty small box to cram stuff in to.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Love the reports on secret work. Did someone find this on wikileaks?
  • Reply 35 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    If you're really interested in studies concerning wearable computers, potential customer's reactions and wants in that regard as well as current availability, then this site is worth a visit. She first published the original study in 2008. The site includes links to currently available devices, consumer research, and other site links.

http://www.watier.org/kathy/wearables.htm
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Tinfoil works even better, especially if formed into the shape of a Pyramid. It is said that in Atlantis, before they suffered their great disaster and disappeared forever, the technology was so advanced that the electromagnetic waves emitted by their devices prevented and/or cured cancer as opposed to causing it. So sad, what happened to them. All we can hope now is that the aliens (that helped Atlanteans out) return to Earth to help us too.

Thompson

They are due 12/21/2012. I understand the Ancient Mayans already have several apps pending in the app store.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    When it comes to wearable computers I'm surprised health has come up in the article or the forum. Imagine a computer being able to crunch years of your waking and sleeping vitals. Apple might be able to make an accurate death clock. Personally I'd be okay with something injected under my skin instead of having to wear something clunky like the Jawbone Up.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Furthermore, this conehead appearance would reveal my true origin , with all associated consequences ...
  • Reply 39 of 72
    What sucks is eventually we won't be able to buy a pair of underwear without signing a 2 year agreement with Verizon.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

That looks clunky as crap to me. So instead of a phone with a small screen I can have a watch with an even smaller screen. Ok...?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While Sony has an actual working product, it lacks a high quality retina display and multitouch.

When Apple does it using the best technology it will be far less clunky.

No doubt... Then everyone can talk about how Apple stole the idea.

Quote:

The watch just seems to function as a secondary display for the phone and a crappy one at that. It was funny how the guy went through all these contortions to show how if you look at the missed calls on the watch they would appear when you pull out your phone and unlock the screen. Only problem is that it seemed more difficult to use the watch for this than just pulling out the phone and checking notifications. Epic fail IMO.

That's why if Apple made one, it'd be very basic and just do simple tasks- i.e. just reading notifications and using Siri to text. That's it.

The trick is making the average non-dork to wear these. How can this be trendy without being a calculator watch. Are calculator watches more functional and useful than a normal watch? Sure. Are Bluetooth headsets more convenient than holding up a phone? Absolutely. But one you're a nerd, and one you're a douche. Like it or not, that's the stigma, and we have those in our (at least, American) culture. So the main thing is to overcome that. So I say less is more with the nano watch. Enough to make it useful and attractive, but not too much to make you a nerd (see- android)