Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Highest quality? I'll take the Transformer Prime any time, thank you very much. Google need not bother for now.

Instead, Google should focus on bringing the tablet price down if they want a chance in the market. The entry level iPad is cheaper than any high-range Android tablet. Why would an unbiased user bother with Android?
  • Reply 22 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

So is the reverse inference that none of the current Android tablets are of the highest quality?

What's the point of trying to catch Schmidt with his words? He's not reading this.
  • Reply 23 of 150
    It means they are still 6 months away from fully cloning the features. , Their innovative 3D interface was greatly applauded hence they are in process of removing one dimension from it.
  • Reply 24 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Even if Google releases a tablet that is not only on par with the iPad in 6 months but BETTER....they are going to face some serious obstacles:
    • Apple is totally dominant in marketshare.

• Apple has the dominant content delibery ecosystem (iTunes).

• In 6 months, Apple will be shipping iPad 3's with Retina displays, better cameras, faster processors, much better graphics and who knows what else.

• The iPad is a household name now. It's going to be even more so in 6 months. Gaining momentum when Apple's iPad will be in an even stronger position? Good luck.

• There is no "tablet market"--there is a market for iPads and Kindles. People don't say "I want a tablet, let me choose which one is best for me." They say "I want an iPad...or maybe I don't need that much, so I'll go with a Kindle Fire instead."

• Android continues to suffer from bad fragmentation in phones. This can't be good for their tablets, which in many cases run different OS's than those phones. Apple doesn't have this problem with iOS, the iPad and iPhone.

Overall, if you look beyond music, iTunes is NOT the dominant content delibery ecosystem. Nor is it the dominant content delivery ecosystem.
  • Reply 25 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that direct app revenue or does it include ad revenue. I think the latter should be used when dealing with a platform's ability to turn a profit.

I saw it on this site:

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...ent-dead-wrong

And Google never releases any figures, that is pretty telling.

Google last week touted that the Android Marketplace had reached the 10 billion download milestone. That?s an impressive figure, to be sure, but notice how Google did not, and in fact never has, divulged a far more telling metric ? the amount of money they?ve shared with developers thus far. Apple, in contrast, periodically boasts about the money it?s doled out to iOS developers, with the most recent official figure checking in at over $3.5 billion as of October 2011.
  • Reply 26 of 150
    Good for them.

I'm going to release a new type of car that will do 500 miles to the gallon while sucking in CO2 and putting out beautifully clean Oxygen.

Look out for it, in about six months........
  • Reply 27 of 150
    ...and within 6 months the iPad 3 will be out (and perhaps iOS6 as well). So they'll have entirely new benchmark to be measured against.
  • Reply 28 of 150
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

If Android has "won" then why is Apple still making all the profit? Why is Apple still all anyone in the tech world talks about? Why is everything compared to Apple and its products? Why is the iPhone to top selling smartphone in the world? Why is the iPad the one to beat? Why is everything touted as an Apple "killer?" Why do devopers still prefer iOS in the face of this juggernaut called Android? Why were Android users asking Schmidt when developers would be Android first? Why, why, why?

Slappy, old buddy, old pal, you've been predicting the demise of Apple since you joined this forum. It hasn't quite worked out that way yet has it? Why?
  • Reply 29 of 150
    Is there anything called an "Andriod Killer" ?
  • Reply 30 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mega View Post

• Reply 31 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

First, define " the market". Smart phone? OK, maybe that's true, but not to the Android phone manufacturer's benefit. Apple still makes all the money regardless of market share. And we all know that basically except for a few high end phones basically Android phones are given away. Not hard to take market share when you give your shit away. But again, who is earning the money here?

So you say Android will own the tablet market? How? There's nobody around to give all those tablets away like the smart phones. People have to actually buy them at full price, and if you do a comparison, there is no comparison. Android devices fail on both the hardware and software front.

Apple is like a race car driver who has the car in high gear with everyone else stuck in a pack, jockeying for position to get to the front and then try to overtake Apple, who is already about 20 lengths ahead.
  • Reply 32 of 150
    Apparently Google is the new Microsoft. Obviously, once again they're copying Apple, but now they're taking pages right out of the M$ playbook - "ah, but we'll have one of those in 6 months too!" (Always 6mo - 1yr away.)
  • Reply 33 of 150
    Eric's just talking Schmidt.
  • Reply 34 of 150
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    The ironic thing is that Google is not even making that much money from mobile, aside from its mobile ad display network (from AdMob purchase). And, 2/3 of the mobile search revenue they generate comes from the iPhone

Does anyone know what % of revenue Apple receives from Google for search advertising? I bet it is over 80%.

I also bet that Apple is making more in the mobile search revenues than Google
  • Reply 35 of 150
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mega View Post

Sarah Connor.

Oh wait, that's Cyborg killer, sorry.
  • Reply 36 of 150
    I want an iPad!
  • Reply 37 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Apparently Google is the new Microsoft. Obviously, once again they're copying Apple, but now they're taking pages right out of the M$ playbook - "ah, but we'll have one of those in 6 months too!" (Always 6mo - 1yr away.)

Google has been doing this for a long time: http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/12/08/v-iday/
  • Reply 38 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that direct app revenue or does it include ad revenue. I think the latter should be used when dealing with a platform's ability to turn a profit.

Someone is looking for negative attention with their post but you missed some key jargon if your playing Troll Bingo.

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple. We all know how Google did it by being underhanded and "evil", but it works. Schmidt should be ashamed of himself for backstabbing Mr. Jobs and Apple and staying on the board to glean as much info out of Apple for his Android platform.
  • Reply 39 of 150
    While Apple and Google are competing in tablet OS, I'm curious to see how successful Microsoft Windows 8 will be when it's launched next year. Since it will be compatible with both tablets and PCs, and assuming it works well, I'm guessing it will take back some market share from the tablet market.
  • Reply 40 of 150
    does this mean another funeral to attend? Will the Google funeral be better than the Microsoft one?