Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's Google-branded in any way then "release" is fine even if it's more of a marketing campaign.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's Google branded. The Nexus Prime that was just released isn't, generally identified as a Samsung, tho Verizon had to put their name on the big red release.
  • Reply 82 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd be pretty surprised if it's Google branded. The Nexus Prime that was just released isn't, generally identified as a Samsung, tho Verizon had to put their name on the big red release.

Sometimes they only brand them in marketing campaigns but the actual HW is different.
  • Reply 83 of 150
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mega View Post

Their real competitor is Kindle Fire who has crossed to the "Dark Side". Imagine their state when they copied someone else and then suddenly another company comes along takes their source rips it apart and builds an ecosystem around it. Goof-le keep the open thing going so that Amazon can make profit's out of it some day

...And the Fire will only get better. Amazon seems to do things well when it does and is feeding into an existing customer base to allow them to keep doing what they were doing plus a bunch more. Will be interesting to see where it goes? It for sure wasn't DOA like so many other tablets that hit the market.

Tom
  • Reply 84 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

On the other hand, you have Apple (hardware and eco-system), Amazon (eco-system), and MS (licensing and eco-system) where nothing really is "free". I can even live with a "Gillette" style of marketing a product. But giving access to my identity and everything I do, everyone I know, and having the ability to track me... if there's a "you can't refuse this" offer (or demand!) on the table, of which is a "possibility" with Google's "freebies"????

"Free" in my lifetime has always meant there were strings attached. What strings are gonna be "pulled", or even scarier, which ones "connected" to dubious business (political?) entities next?

I'd rather pay my fair share now, thank you. Something I still feel is still at the top of Apple's list: privacy. (Please don't some fool bring that sad argument about the tracking scandal last year!! ):

Don't fool yourself that Apple's not attaching strings either. How else would you explain that opting out of Apple location/tracking services doesn't opt you out of iAd tracking? That takes a special visit to a somewhat obscure and not well known Apple opt-out page doesn't it? Apple really, really wants to know where you are too, and what you're up to.

Unlike Google they're not as obvious about it.
  • Reply 85 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Don't fool yourself that Apple's not attaching strings either. How else would you explain that opting out of Apple location/tracking services doesn't opt you out of iAd tracking? That takes a special visit to a somewhat obscure and not well known Apple opt-out page doesn't it? Apple really, really wants to know where you are too, and what you're up to.

Unlike Google they're not as obvious about it.

It's pretty damn simple and they show you them all in the same place: Settings » Location Services » System Services.
  • Reply 86 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's pretty damn simple and they show you them all in the same place: Settings » Location Services » System Services.

Thanks for that Solipsism. When iAds was first announced last year, that was one of the complaints noted. It wasn't at all clear for some on how to opt-out. You used to have to visit this link, http://oo.apple.com , to opt out didn't you?

Community input helps sort these things out.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?
  • Reply 87 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple.

It's easy to "sell" product when you give it away. A lot of Android installations are freebie phones. I wonder how many they would sell if the price were higher?
  • Reply 88 of 150
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

Android might have a higher market share in phones, but tablets are completely on a different page. Android simply is not meant for a tablet, and at its current development, never will be. Many have tried and failed. Others, like Google, that don't learn from their mistakes, will fail miserably as well. All you have to do is go in and use one. It feels unfinished due to the limitations of the platform. If you don't know this, then you haven't spent much time physically comparing the two OS's. iOS is about as 'finished' as it gets in terms of the fluidity. Android is erratic, unreliable, and unresponsive. Not to mention, there are so many variations, its a nightmare for developers, and the infrastructure is no where near that of the iPad/iPhone. The latest Sony iteration is a disaster.

And in case you haven't noticed, the consumer has spoken. Currently, if you want the full tablet experience, you get an iPad. If you want a diluted, watered down experience on the cheap, you get an Amazon Fire. There is no room for the 'me toos' of the world, and this Google tablet will fall into the pile of failures as well.

You don't see lines outside of Best Buy waiting for an Android tablet.
  • Reply 89 of 150
    Quote:

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple. We all know how Google did it by being underhanded and "evil", but it works. Schmidt should be ashamed of himself for backstabbing Mr. Jobs and Apple and staying on the board to glean as much info out of Apple for his Android platform.

Iv read you're post. You're a complete troll
  • Reply 90 of 150
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

As I expected, the Kindle Fire seems to be just crushing the Android tablets at Apple's price point, while the iPad itself continues to sell briskly. So the choice is clear: if you want a cheap tablet, get a Fire. If you want a nice tablet, get an iPad. There is no room for the also-rans, and this explains why so many PC makers have "decided" to exit the tablet market space. But it's not so much that they "decided" as it is that the consumer decided for them.

I disagree. The Nook Tablet is also selling, as are the Samsung tablets. Asus is moving product, and is on the cusp of (maybe) making a splash with the Transformer Prime.

This market is still a crawling infant.
  • Reply 91 of 150
    The more the merrier.
  • Reply 92 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Define "winning?" As I have said on many occasions, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is profits and Apple has won that battle hands down.

And secondly, what's your basis for saying that he will own the tablet market?

The same reason Google/Android won the smartphone market. We can play the profit game for a limited time. It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening. It's really just Windows vs Mac all over again. Same results in the long run. It's okay to accept the loss. Hopefully Apple can win defending their ip or move on for another revenue stream.
  • Reply 93 of 150
    Quote:

We can play the [lack of] profit game for a limited time.

Going for marketshare over profits is the game that has a time limit. Just ask Acer how their netbooks are doing.

edit: Frack! Just responded to another troll.
  • Reply 94 of 150
    Google should patent "vaporware".
  • Reply 95 of 150
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

They must be planning to license iOS, nice.

Since there's no chance of Apple licensing it, Google would just have to go out and steal it. That would be something new ... or would it?
  • Reply 96 of 150
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Poor Eric, he had all this clout on the Google board after getting them an inside track on copying Apple's iPhone, but now that he no longer has that inside track he's been reduced to hype and grandstanding. Having to hype up what Google is doing 6 months from now instead of just doing it, makes him and Google look more desperate than they should.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    :-)))
  • Reply 98 of 150
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Even if Google releases a tablet that is not only on par with the iPad in 6 months but BETTER....they are going to face some serious obstacles:
    • Apple is totally dominant in marketshare.

• Apple has the dominant content delibery ecosystem (iTunes).

• In 6 months, Apple will be shipping iPad 3's with Retina displays, better cameras, faster processors, much better graphics and who knows what else.

• The iPad is a household name now. It's going to be even more so in 6 months. Gaining momentum when Apple's iPad will be in an even stronger position? Good luck.

• There is no "tablet market"--there is a market for iPads and Kindles. People don't say "I want a tablet, let me choose which one is best for me." They say "I want an iPad...or maybe I don't need that much, so I'll go with a Kindle Fire instead."

• Android continues to suffer from bad fragmentation in phones. This can't be good for their tablets, which in many cases run different OS's than those phones. Apple doesn't have this problem with iOS, the iPad and iPhone.

Microsoft was a dominating search giant. Until Google came along

Google has a tendency to turn status quo upside down.

It's only a matter of time before they start doing the same with tablets.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

It's only a matter of time before they start doing the same with tablets.

Every Android tablet so far has failed miserably and sucked.

Reality disagrees with you.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    So they will have an iPad 2 killer when everybody is out buying iPad 3s. Good Jorb there homestar.