Will YOU ever buy a Segway People Movier (aka "Ginger")?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Next year they'll be releasing the consumer version of the Segway people mover, estimated to cost around US$3000. Do you anticipate buying one next year, or in subsequent years as the price stabilizes at a lower level? How much do you think people will be willing to spend on one of these things, and who'll buy them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    There's not a chance in hell I'm ever going to get one of those things, whatever the price. If I saw one coming down the street, I'd give the same reaction I would if it was a unicycle: "Here comes a clown."

There'll be the usual early adopters - the rich and famous who have to be first, the rich and famous who'll be given the things for free to boost the Segway's profile, the moron in accounting who has to have one and spends six months savings on it, and no doubt there'll be a USPO experiment that'll put in a large order.

I'm not a fan.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I saw no practical purpose for this thing for the average person. Mailmen maybe...

Just another toy for the rich to roll around their mansions in...

I live in Philly...where the sidewalks pitch and roll every 2 feet. This contraption would be derailed in minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    De-railed?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Until I see a Segway doing wild downhill stunts over rough terrain, no way.

it's called feet, folks.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    No way. I live in a medium sized city in Louisiana. It takes forever to get to one place or another. The battery would be dead by the time I got to burger king and then I would be just another jack arse on the side of the road needing a jump start.

Can I get it in 4 wheel drive with 34 inch boggers?

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: trailmaster308 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 37
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's exactly what we need - even less exercise!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I think I'll get one and go visit Belle.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    OK, here's a question:

Given that Dean Kamen et al were pitching this thing as the greatest invention *ever*, what was Ginger supposed to be?
  • Reply 9 of 37
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    No. Unless there's some way to pick up chicks in one.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    I'd rather ride my bikes. My custom built Time Trial bike cost less than a Segway (but not much). Even if I wear full lycra and ride my bike around, I'm still going to look less ghey than anyone on a Segway.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I see what people mean about using your feet and all, but I tried one of these out, and damn they are cool. I have either a 30 minute bike or 30 minute bus trip to school, in the winter i can't bike, but i could go on one of those things. Its also great for people who have jobs on their feet all day. Imagine if you lived in a big city, you could just zip around everywhere on the thing. If people had them, you could use it instead of a car, to go to the store or something.

Its amazingly inexpensive for what it is, like three gyroscopes or something.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, i don't think dean ever said this was his super product. i think the media found out he was releasing something and decided that must be it. i've heard rumblings here and there that the real deal isn't set to come out for another year or so.

but who knows.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    For 3000 I'd rather have a new Vespa.

I know it's a completely different market, but in any environment where I would use a Segway, I'd just walk.

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 37
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]"If enough people see the machine you won?t have to convince them to architect cities around it. It?ll just happen." - Steve Jobs<hr></blockquote>

I'm with you on the Vespa thing, Matsu. I wouldn't mind a scooter, but to be honest I'd get myself killed within days riding it round Manhattan.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Oh, Segways only cost $3k? I guess my TT bike was just over twice as much then Now I'm depressed, but I'm taking solace in knowing that someone at Visa is quite happy...
  • Reply 16 of 37
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    People who say that the Segway is just a teaser, and that there is something "bigger and better, yet to come", are conspiracy buffs. This is the deal.

I've seen one in action up close, after a concert at Centennial Olympic Park here in Atlanta. They're very cool, and they DO have specific roles to fill in business and public service. The fear of another group reverse-engineering them has already been mentioned as one reason that they've been tight with the release schedule to this point in time.

For exercise they're worthless. For jobs where employees have large areas to cover these might begin to compete with golf carts and other types of people movers. Applications exist for people who are wheelchair-bound but would like to move around in a faster, more natural method.

The hype was very destructive to the Segway, but it will find its place. Some of the same technology which makes it work may find itself into other applications too.

Check back in 18 months!

D
  • Reply 17 of 37
    from what i have herd from people who have actually used them is that they are great... and that in an ideal world people would use bikes, segways and such to get around. (cars are big, wastefull, and clumbsy)

as for batterys and "derailing"... lol

when he designed this, he designed it with all this in mind... its very versitile and has a long battery...

'eh, well nuthin like that will happen with the republicans in office...

more oil more oil more...
  • Reply 18 of 37
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    [quote]Originally posted by Da Reverand Cutler:

<strong>'eh, well nuthin like that will happen with the republicans in office...

more oil more oil more...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your grasp of contemporary politics is humbling. ;-)
  • Reply 19 of 37
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    yeah it gan go at max speed for 6 hours straight!, and when you slowdown or go down hills it recharges. Nifty videos of it going at <a href="http://www.segway.com"; target="_blank">www.segway.com</a>
  • Reply 20 of 37
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I'd rather ride a bike and not be limited to like ~10MPH.

Not to mentioned how easy it would be for someone to tackle you.