NYT: Apple secretly working on wearable, Siri-compatible computers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. Do people want computers that can be fitted nasally?

Oh, gosh, what's this FROM. Right on the tip of my tongue? Hitchhiker's Guide?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well I got to disagree. To me the "killer" feature is that computers are becoming less obtrusive and are becoming 'invisible' to the user. That's the next "killer" feature IMO. Apple are pretty much the leader in this trend already. I look for that to continue.

I agree. I think that the real advances will come once access to information stores is device-agnostic.

This business of having to use a certain brand name of device or OS in order to access proprietary repositories of information is nothing less than scary. I see a future where you will have lots of cheap devices that all access the same stuff. You won't need your expensive Apple brand device, for example, to access content on "iCloud" brand info repository, but instead, you will use any device you happen to have to access any info that is available.

That was the promise of the WWW.

Things are now headed down an alternate path - the path towards brand-based lock-in.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm sure for every 20 mockups and experiments they "work on" only 1 maybe "produced".

That is entirely consistent with statements that Steve made. He said that knowing when to say "no" to a product was an important skill.

My guess is the same as yours: That Apple works on wide-ranging devices and concepts, and back-burners or kills the vast majority of them. I see many wacky patents by Apple reported here, and I see very few new concepts incorporated into Apple products. Only rarely is Apple the first to add a wholly new hardware technology to its products. Much more often, Apple uses older tech which has been refined over the years. IOW, while new tech is in the wild and wooly stages, Apple says "no, not yet".
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see any real applications of this kind of technology yet.

Apple and Nike see a current application of wearable computers.

This stuff has been around and is advancing. It might be argued that a pocket computer, like the Newton (not really) or the Palm Pilot (and now the smartphone) was a first step towards the goal of ubiquitous on-person computing.

What is your analysis of people who strap their iPhone onto their upper arm when they go out for a run? Do you not see that wearable computers are already here, and are slowly advancing?
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Personally, I would like to see GM, BMW & Honda with Apple telematics.

It will never happen. Especially when considering a luxury brand.

That is because the nav updates would need to last forever. Can you imagine buying a classic Bimmer, perfectly preserved in every way, with one glaring exception: The Apple brand nav system doesn't work because Apple no longer supports it?

Nope. Car parts need to last forever. Apple makes things that are obsolete within a few years. These are two different worlds.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

If I was Tim Cook..

1) I would have Apple create an amazing in car NAV/Entertainment system.

2) Demo the system to all the heads of the world's major automakers.

3) Offer an exclusive contract with 1 American, 1 European and 1 Asian automaker.

4) Hold an auction for the 3 exclusive contracts.

5) PROFIT!

Yes! I totally agree.

Quote:

Personally, I would like to see Ford, Audi & Honda with Apple telematics.

There FTFY.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:

Could Apple partner with TAG Heuer, Breitling or Rolex and use their expertise and brand to create a product that could live up to the expectations?

Or will the iWatch be another piece of "disposable" consumer electronics?

I think it is inevitable that Apple will further expand its brand. However, I don't think that any licensing deals are on the near-term horizon.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yes! I totally agree.

There FTFY.

No doubt. Ford, not GM.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. Do people want computers that can be fitted nasally?

Beats a suppository any day! That would give new meaning to the Italian word - innuendo.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Beats a suppository any day! That would give new meaning to the Italian word - innuendo.

Innuendo is an Italian aria from the Barber of Seville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOov6..._order&list=UL (with english lyrics)
  • Reply 71 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 72 of 72
    When I first read about Siri, I had two immediate reactions:

1. "Wow. They've made huge progress in natural-language processing. It's been a hot topic in AI for decades."

2. "Siri would be perfect for controlling small- or no-screen devices. Like iPod shuffle or nano..."

It will be interesting to see how Apple expands Siri on iOS (and OS X) and to see how they

use it on future devices. If Apple does actually release a TV set, Siri will be in it.