Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for that Solipsism. When iAds was first announced last year, that was one of the complaints noted. It wasn't at all clear for some on how to opt-out. You used to have to visit this link, http://oo.apple.com , to opt out didn't you?

Community input helps sort these things out.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?

Stop the sucking up (as a mask for your ignorance).

Or, at least take the trouble to develop a bit of subtlety. Your question could be answered by a 10-year old if (s)he took the trouble.
  • Reply 102 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Every Android tablet so far has failed miserably and sucked.

Reality disagrees with you.

Many of these folks don't understand that there's a world out there that's somewhat more real than mom's basement.
  • Reply 103 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop the sucking up (as a mask for your ignorance).

Or, at least take the trouble to develop a bit of subtlety. Your question could be answered by a 10-year old if (s)he took the trouble.

So apparently I'm waiting on an answer from a 10-year old? I never realized that asking questions was in reality a "mask for ignorance".
  • Reply 104 of 150
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

ROFLOL - "It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone." Only a complete fool would think this. They aren't even in the same ballpark when you factor quality, the total ecosystem, fragmentation on Android's part, various manufacturers UI failures, OS update cluster FK, incompatible hardware with current OS versions, resale value, lack of viable revenue model for developers, etc. etc. etc. It's not just the OS, its the whole hardware, software, ecosystem combination - consumers are being duped every minute but will soon start waking up to their bad decisions.
  • Reply 105 of 150
    Quote:

So apparently I'm waiting on an answer from a 10-year old? I never realized that asking questions was in reality a "mask for ignorance".

Oh, instead of asking a 10-year old, you could also google it (or something like that).
  • Reply 106 of 150
    Quote:

Oh, instead of asking a 10-year old, you could also google it (or something like that).

I tried that before asking the question and couldn't find a clear answer. I assumed one of you here knew right off the top of their head.
  • Reply 107 of 150
    Quote:

I tried that before asking the question and couldn't find a clear answer. I assumed one of you here knew right off the top of their head.

The trouble with guys like you -- and there's about half a dozen of you, and we all know who you are -- is that you lie through your teeth all the time. Laziness combined with a tendency to make sweeping generalizations based on semi-informed facts seems to be your trademark.

For instance, you blandly say you "tried that before asking the question." Guess what? I cut and pasted your question verbatim "If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?" on to the Google search field. And, wouldn't you know.... http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Read.

Ugh.
  • Reply 108 of 150
    Quote:

The trouble with guys like you -- and there's about half a dozen of you, and we all know who you are -- is that you lie through your teeth all the time. Laziness combined with a tendency to make sweeping generalizations based on semi-informed facts seems to be your trademark.

For instance, you blandly say you "tried that before asking the question." Guess what? I cut and pasted your question verbatim "If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?" on to the Google search field. And, wouldn't you know.... http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Read.

Ugh.

And read I have. The first link points here, while the second goes to Apple. the third goes to a discussion of opting out location services in Safari. None of those provide an answer, nor do numbers 4, 5 or 6, leading to various other discussions at tech blogs.

No, "the problem" is some here think so much of themselves they can't be bothered with answering what was probably a very easy question.

I have no idea why you chose to be a smart-aleck as I've to now remained respectful, but it's a more effective ploy when you actually take the time to see if your links answer the question. I don't think I've ever looked down my nose at anyone who's asked me a question where I know the answer, and told them to go find it themselves.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it affect any of your other location services? And a new question related to that, does it affect any other functions or features unrelated to advertising.
  • Reply 109 of 150
    Quote:

And read I have. The first link points here, while the second goes to Apple. the third goes to a discussion of opting out location services in Safari. None of those provide an answer, nor do numbers 4, 5 or 6, leading to various other discussions at tech blogs.

No, "the problem" is some here think so much of themselves they can't be bothered with answering what was probably a very easy question.

I have no idea why you chose to be a smart-aleck as I've to now remained respectful, but it's a more effective ploy when you actually take the time to see if your links answer the question. I don't think I've ever looked down my nose at anyone who's asked me a question where I know the answer, and told them to go find it themselves.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it affect any of your other location services? And a new question related to that, does it affect any other functions or features unrelated to advertising.

1) Keep reading.

2) Better yet, why don't you try it out on your iPhone? Wait....
  • Reply 110 of 150
    Quote:

1) Keep reading.

2) Better yet, why don't you try it out on your iPhone? Wait....

Correct. I don't have an iPhone. If I did I could check it myself. Thank you too for realizing the answer wasn't there in your links.
  • Reply 111 of 150
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    What about the tablets they have out now? Did Schmidt just admit they are not of the highest quality?
  • Reply 112 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Apple went for the jugular with initial iPad pricing and the benefit to that was seen in 2010 and 2011. Now Apple needs to keep up the pressure.

They will. By again doing nothing different. That's the thing that has the other boys freaking out. Apple releases an iPhone and sells 10 Million in the opening weekend. Then a year later they tweak it a little, add a new dumb trick in the OS and sell 15 Million opening weekend.

Meanwhile, Google etc tries the same baby tweak and their sales drop. They completely overhaul things and their sales drop. It's mind boggling
  • Reply 113 of 150
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Microsoft was a dominating search giant. Until Google came along

Google has a tendency to turn status quo upside down.

It's only a matter of time before they start doing the same with tablets.

Why? They would have to start giving them away. Like they do with their phones but, people that do not want to pay for yet another telecom internet connection are not going to get the tablet for free. They will have to pay full price. That's a whole other story & whole other customer base.

How exactly have they done that. Just about everything they do is a knock off. Their mobile OS is built for the TELCOs who are the definition of the status quo. I said this before but I'll say it again:

No Platform building experience

No UI experience

No Hardware experience

No customer support/relations experience

No retail experience

No real consumer sales experience

It could happen but not overnight & Apple isn't standing still. Apple started out with building a mobile platform in mind while Google was making a phone. Now Google wants to build an Apple-like tablet. Why didn't they build either of those devices first? They needed to be shown by someone else how it is done. Someone else has done the heavy lifting, someone else had the vision. What is it about Google's platform that is visionary? Copy someone else's vision & tack on a few extras. I don't see anything that isn't status quo here.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaren View Post

(And ladies... not to offend...)

Nobody has commented on the code name for the voice system? Majel Barrett-Roddenberry... Gene Roddenberry's wife? The voice of TNG Enterprise's computer system? I am disappoint...

Been there, done that. Check the older threads.
  • Reply 115 of 150
    Quote:

It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening.

OK, I'll bite, knowing I shouldn't actually - so people are exchanging iPhones for Android phones? Any links? Any evidence? Or are you just the kind of troll that says "I am not a troll"? You know, the "concerned" troll?
  • Reply 116 of 150
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Steve's Reality Distortion Field is working in reverse.

Rather than getting others to believe they can accomplish something, it makes the user (in this case Schmidt) beliieve something can get done, when in reality, he is foolling himself (and no one else).

Why not just spend the time and money, keep your pie hole shut and do the job, then announce it when it is actually ready?

Then in 6 months when you realize you have tossed +$25 million down the toilet, you won't look like as much of an ass.
  • Reply 117 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Steve's Reality Distortion Field is working in reverse.

Rather than getting others to believe they can accomplish something, it makes the user (in this case Schmidt) beliieve something can get done, when in reality, he is foolling himself (and no one else).

Why not just spend the time and money, keep your pie hole shut and do the job, then announce it when it is actually ready?

Then in 6 months when you realize you have tossed +$25 million down the toilet, you won't look like as much of an ass.

I really don't think Schmidt believes the stuff he says. I think he just knows that their user base don't understand how technology works. If you're 15yo 6 months would seem like a long time.
  • Reply 118 of 150
    Quote:

The same reason Google/Android won the smartphone market. We can play the profit game for a limited time. It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening. It's really just Windows vs Mac all over again. Same results in the long run. It's okay to accept the loss. Hopefully Apple can win defending their ip or move on for another revenue stream.

You still haven't defined "winning" yet.

As for tablets, I would think twice before betting against Apple. With smartphones, Apple was not number one. With tablets, Apple is number one. Google/Android faces an uphill battle to beat Apple. Apple is already on their third iteration of their tablet. Each iteration has been a resounding success. No Android manufacturer can say the same.
  • Reply 119 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Microsoft was a dominating search giant. Until Google came along

It's only a matter of time before they start doing the same with tablets.

Microsoft was a "dominating search giant" until Google came along. This doesn't even qualify for bullshit.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

The same reason Google/Android won the smartphone market. We can play the profit game for a limited time. It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening. It's really just Windows vs Mac all over again. Same results in the long run. It's okay to accept the loss. Hopefully Apple can win defending their ip or move on for another revenue stream.

I think you will discover that many Android users, especially in business won't renew their contract with an Android device. We have had many customers go to iPhone and blackberry after having a less than stellar experience with Android.