141 arrested in stolen iPhone, iPad sting in New York

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowhide View Post

NY city is one place where there are more dishonest people than honest ones. I couldn't buy a knock off Gucci purse any where near where I live, in NY on trips, I trip over them.

That's a ridiculous statement. NYC is among the large cities with the least amount of crime. There are 10 cities in the U.S. with more than 1 million people. All stats are per capita.

Violent Crime: NYC is 3rd (1st being the least crime)

Murder: NYC is 3rd from the least

Rape: NYC has the least.

Robbery: NYC is 4th from the least

Aggravated Assault: NYC is 5th from the least

Property Crime: NYC has the least

Burglary: NYC has the least

Larceny/Theft: NYC has the least

Car Theft: NYC has the least.

There are 74 cities with populations over 200,000. NYC is right in the middle at #27 (#1 is the least) in violent crime. The least is Plano, Texas. The most is Detroit, Michigan. (Note that the stats I looked at didn't have a violent crime stat for Chicago.) Tampa, Fresno, Boston, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Tulsa, Kansas City, and St. Paul (among others) all have higher violent crime rates than New York City.

As far as Gucci knockoffs are concerned, while I will admit that in most cases it is a copyright violation, no who buys a Gucci knockoff for $10-$20 thinks they're buying a real Gucci. And I would think few people who buy a knockoff could afford a Gucci, so there's no loss to Gucci. And you know there is no copyright for fashion. The violation is only on the logo. If it doesn't have a Gucci logo, it's totally legal. The fact is that the street vendors who sell this stuff pay for their goods and make a legitimate living. (Whether they report their earnings is another matter.)
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

They work hard for the money. If you are cut off from success through legal means, you will use illegal means. Highly negotiable items should never be waved around in public places. NY city is one place where there are more dishonest people than honest ones. I couldn't buy a knock off Gucci purse any where near where I live, in NY on trips, I trip over them.

I'm sorry, but posts with this kind of mentality that sometimes justify Republicans labeling Democrats as "communists". This whole post is completely ridiculous.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

They work hard for the money. If you are cut off from success through legal means, you will use illegal means. Highly negotiable items should never be waved around in public places. NY city is one place where there are more dishonest people than honest ones. I couldn't buy a knock off Gucci purse any where near where I live, in NY on trips, I trip over them.

Can't trust'em big city folk?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    (Duplicate)
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazimoyo View Post

Not entrapment if they were told by the police that they were buying stolen property. Law abiding folk would have just said "no thanks". These people were thieves as well.

Yeah, fair enough. But these are pretty small fish, right?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The cops are smart too. If they'd have offered stolen Android phones instead, they wouldn't have been able to make many arrests as they would have been laughed out of the store and possibly beaten up for even suggesting such a stupid thing.

Yeah, that would've instantly blown their cover! I can't help picturing Robert De Niro... At his "restaurant", with napkin and all. Say this in his voice, it's fun:

"You come to me? You come all the way here, into my reputable place of business, interrupt my lovely dinner with my lady friend, and you, whoever the fukk you are... try to sell me some sorry ass Korean crap? Geddafukkouttahere... before I make you geddafukkouttahere. Boys!" *snaps fingers*

(With apologies to Italian Americans)
  • Reply 27 of 36
    I say well done to police department.

Those people who are defending/complaining of the string operation will sing a different tune if their smartphone or tablet is stolen. It don't matter if you are a buyer of stolen property, you are still encouraging stealing.

Think about a society where no one buys stolen property. Why will theft occur then?

Now is the time to start a campaign against ebay to stop listing stolen property.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

It's not entrapment. The cops clearly stated they were about to commit a crime. The buyers chose to do so of their own free will, and understood they were commiting said crime.

I only have issue with the bait.

When some crackhead stops me on a sidewalk to sell my a mountainbike for 20$ for his next shot, I decline. (it's happened)

If he'd offer me an iPhone..... well....

Anyway, these were known "recyclers" they were going after.

The police solicited them to commit the crime, the definition of entrapment. Police can't do that.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

The police solicited them to commit the crime, the definition of entrapment. Police can't do that.

No it's not. Entrapment is when the subject would have not have otherwise acted in an illegal capacity.

This is where you'd argue that without setting up the sting these subjects would not have acted in this specific instance, but a sting is devised in such a way that the subject is well aware of the illegal activity and has a clear choice whether to engage in said activity.

If you have been arrested and feel you did not have any freedom to choose you could claim entrapment. An example of this might be you feeling like your life was in jeopardy if you didn't commit the crime? but you'd have to instill such doubt.

It's simply not an argument to say all stings are entrapment.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Now, drugs is definitely a waste of taxdollars to go after, especially weed.

There's a reason why drugs like weed is decriminalized in NY and buying stolen items is not.

Whether you like it or not, Apple items are highly sought after and it makes perfect sense to go after criminals dealing in such stolen items.

Stupidest thing I've heard all month.

Stolen property can be replaced or recovered.

Cost of human lives in the ecosystem of the drug market can not be replaced.

Yes, there are some human casualties even in stolen goods, however, that isnt ALWAYS the case.

Drugs are a different matter, however.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Stupidest thing I've heard all month.

You think we should go after pot smokers?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I was in Washington DC many years ago - and some guy came up to us offering a box of Maxell cassette tapes for something like a third of the price for the same product at retail.

I used to work in retail - LOTS of stuff gets taken out of the store without being paid for - a lot of it ends up at flea markets with the original store price sticker still on it.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You think we should go after pot smokers?

Yes, because the drugs are tainted with human blood, figuratively.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Yes, because the drugs are tainted with human blood, figuratively.

1) It's cannabis sativa not cannibalis hematoma. (see what I did there?)

2) You're ridiculous to think we should treat pot smokers or any drug user like any other criminal instead of even considering regaultion like with alcocol. What about presciption pills that are abused? Those are okay because they are made in a lab but legally obtain marijuana is bad. Are you thinking lethal injunction or these criminals or would you fear the possibility they might get high right before death.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    This is the only time I'll ever use this emoticon, so?

"I would guess that the flow chart of steps taken to get from a proper thread about stolen iDevices to conversation about the legalization of marijuana would include an image similar to this: "

? If there's nothing more to be said about stolen iDevices, I'm sure PoliticalOutsider would welcome some fresh marijuana talk.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    I think they were tracked with the 'find my iphone app' installation

per the link: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/