Nokia readies US Windows Phone launch with CES event on Jan. 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Nokia has sent out invitations to members of the press for a Windows Phone-related event on January 9 at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev., as it gears up for the launch of its new Lumia phones in the U.S.

Electronista reported receiving the invitation on Monday, noting the invite's Microsoft's Metro UI tile theme. The event is expected to highlight the handset maker's Windows Phone-based Lumia smartphone line because the invitation uses the products' "Amazing Everyday" slogan.

However, Nokia could face some challenges to drumming up support for its new smartphones at CES. A recent report from Taiwan industry publication DigiTimes claims that vendors are expecting the confab to have an unusually small impact on consumer demand because of a lack of "new innovations."

After Nokia announced its new partnership with Microsoft in February, the company unveiled its first Windows Phone devices in October. The handsets went on sale last month in Europe, but they are not set to arrive in the U.S. until early 2012.

Lumia sales appear to be off to a modest start. Neither device was able to crack the list of top ten smartphones in the U.K. during the four weeks ending Dec. 9, according to a recent analysis. That report revealed that Nokia sold "only narrowly more" than its basic "Touch and Type" phones during the period, even with the help of a £20 million advertising campaign.

For its part, Nokia has said that U.K. preorders for Lumia have been higher than any other handset, but it has also noted that sales of the new Windows Phone devices will take time to build up because it lacks a base of customers that could automatically upgrade from a previous generation.

Nokia's new Lumia 800 (left) and Lumia 710 are its first Windows Phones.

Some analysts have lowered their estimates for Lumia sales on concerns that the handsets will fail to gain traction.

AT&T said last month that it is finalizing a deal with Nokia to begin offering its Windows Phone devices next year. An executive with the company cautioned that he foresees "a lot of challenges" for the Windows Phone platform as it aims to take share from Apple's iOS and Google's Android.

Recent leaks have also suggested that both AT&T and Verizon are testing LTE-based Lumia 800 devices on their networks, though it's not clear whether either carrier has made a final decision on such a device. Rumors have also swirled of a high-end Lumia 900 handset that could make its debut in the U.S. sometime next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Can't wait for the US release of the Lumia.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Yup, here it comes again. CES 2012. the biggest annual outpouring of BS in the world of consumer electronics. let the vaporware rain! let the hype pour!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Yup, here it comes again. CES 2012. the biggest annual outpouring of BS in the world of consumer electronics. let the vaporware rain! let the hype pour!

I love CES because of that. It's a week long of trying to one-up unsubstantiated rumours about Apple with vapourware. It's gotten completely absurd.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Last year we had all of those awesome tablets that really took off. Wasn't the RIMM Playbook one of them? Oh, there was also the phone that turned into an ultra book. Actually, I think we'll see more of that in the future with all the 'cores' they keep adding to our phones.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    All the best to Nokia! I hope the phones do well. The Metro layer of Windows 7 looks intriguing, if only because it is so different from the iOS interface.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Really want Nokia to compete with Apple. They really have great design team. All other asian phone companies are just copying each other, so boring. Nokia has that different, unique look in their industrial European designs.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Wow go out and buy Nokia stock and watch the money poor in. On the other hand look for penny stock and buy that to see your dollars populate at a substantial amount. Nokia is a company that reminds me os Kim Jong ILLLLLLLLLL. Thats right its iLLLLLL advised to by and eventually will be bought out and then de solved.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Ahh, it seems like just yesterday we saw images like this. It was comical then, but even more so now.

[IMG][/IMG]
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Will Nokia wait until the iPhone 5 release to have its funeral, or do I have to plan to go in Jan?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    If I were to purchase another smartphone other than an iPhone it would be a windows phone 7.5 device.

Why? Well, its different isn't it, its not trying to be an iPhone as Microsoft have gone their own way with Metro. Have something a bit different from your main phone (a 4S in my case) rather than 2 of the same.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    ... for making everyones second favourite mobile OS. Now, if only we all needed two phones.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I love CES because of that. It's a week long of trying to one-up unsubstantiated rumours about Apple with vapourware. It's gotten completely absurd.

I hope they keep it up, it is obviously working so well ... For Apple
  • Reply 13 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Ahh, it seems like just yesterday we saw images like this. It was comical then, but even more so now.

[IMG][/IMG]

That is so going to haunt them when they zune again.

I wonder he long MS will fund the losses with this product? Maybe I should look that up on Bing?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    the Lumina 800 looks really awesome. I wonder how it performs.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Join us and industry leaders in smart devices. LOL!

I have seen that crap before and it still cracks me up.

Nokia's business model of having 5 dozen different phones has been pawnd by the iPhone .

One iPhone is everything Nokia ever had from their lowest entry to their most high end entry.

Also Nokia can't sit on one phone like Apple for a year.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    OK, can I just say again how FUGLY the UI is on these Windows phones? The first time I saw it I literally thought it must be a mistake. It looks like the fake plastic overlays they used to put on kids' LCD toys to simulate a screen image. Oh look...random blue rectangles of various sizes!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

OK, can I just say again how FUGLY the UI is on these Windows phones? The first time I saw it I literally thought it must be a mistake. It looks like the fake plastic overlays they used to put on kids' LCD toys to simulate a screen image. Oh look...random blue rectangles of various sizes!

Agree. First time I saw a photo of Metro, I thought "Can't wait to see the beta version after they change those placeholder graphics..."
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well you seem to be in the minority with that view. Funny you say kids toy when IOS looks so childlike and dated.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Well you seem to be in the minority with that view. Funny you say kids toy when IOS looks so childlike and dated.

A~nd the pendulum swings back?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    It will be interesting to see how well the Windows phone does with Nokia doing the design. I have seen good and bad things said about the OS so it will be interesting to see what happens when it actually gets into consumers hands here. Has it gotten any traction where it has been on sale for this holiday season?

For me, I can't get past the asymmetry of the opening screen that I have seen screenshots of. There is just something about it that just bothers me to the point that I can't look at it very long. But that is just my impression of it.

Neal