Recalled iPod nanos replaced by Apple with current-generation models

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Some customers who have had their recalled iPod nano replaced have received a new, seventh-generation model in return.

Apple initiated a recall program for the first-generation iPod nano in November in response to overheating issues with the media player's battery. The company acknowledged that the battery in iPod nanos sold between September 2006 and December 2006 could overheat "in very rare cases."

"This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect," Apple said in a letter to customers. "While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages."

The first customers who signed up for the replacement program received an identical, older-model iPod nano from Apple for free in return. But some newer replacements have instead been current-generation iPod nanos with the touchscreen interface, according to MacRumors.

The original iPod nano came in capacities of 2GB and 4GB for $199 and $249 when it launched in September of 2005. Unlike the current multi-touch model, the original featured a click wheel for navigation, like the current iPod classic. The fact that new models are being sent out as replacements suggests that Apple may have run out of stock of the first-generation iPod nano.

Photo via MacRumors.

Apple first acknowledged the battery issue with the first-generation iPod nano in 2008, and began offering replacements to customers who experienced overheating. Governments in South Korea, Europe and Japan initiated investigations into the matter, and in 2010 Japan ordered Apple to begin advertising the iPod nano battery fix on its website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Quote:

The first customers who signed up for the replacement program received an identical, older-model iPod nano from Apple for free in return. But some newer replacements have instead been

I'm on the edge of my seat!

Also, confused as to why they didn't just give everyone the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn't have enough supply?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hmm? I'd've thought they'd work their way upward, then.

"Oop, we ran out of 1st gens. Better crack open the 2nd gens." "Oop, we ran out of 2nd gens. Better?"
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:

"Oop, we ran out of 1st gens. Better crack open the 2nd gens." "Oop, we ran out of 2nd gens. Better?"

Ah, I see your point. Yeah, that does make sense. Plus, I have to assume there are many Nano buyers that don't want the newer model because of the touch screen controls.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Ah, I see your point. Yeah, that does make sense. Plus, I have to assume there are many Nano buyers that don't want the newer model because of the touch screen controls.

Well, now that I know, I'm absolutely sending mine in. Free 6th gen? Yes, please! I'll just pick up a refurb 1st gen on eBay to put in my 1st gen dock. No sense letting it go to waste, and I do like the 1st gen, anyway!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Well, now that I know, I'm absolutely sending mine in. Free 6th gen? Yes, please! I'll just pick up a refurb 1st gen on eBay to put in my 1st gen dock. No sense letting it go to waste, and I do like the 1st gen, anyway!

Or send both 1st gens in? Lol
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Your new humble attitude to this question becomes you much better than the confident, know-it-all attitude displayed in your previous post on the subject:

Quote:

Thinking you'll get a brand new device for free is completely nonsensical.

Quote:

They have no stock of Gen 1 nano units remaining,

OF COURSE they do.

Why in the world would you think they don't? It's still in the 7 year repair limit.

Perhaps now would be a good time to reflect on whether one gains respect for one's judgement by making bold assertions on the basis of nothing or whether it is more prudent to make reserved guesses based on common sense.

Another good reflection might be to consider whether it is more economical to maintain a warranty repair/replacement service based on custom repairs and expensive warehousing of old parts for sub-100 USD devices or to just swap the faulty unit with a new one coming from a highly optimised mass production assembly line.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing...how is it they had 1st gen on hand for the initial replacement but they don't have any more recent gens short of the current model available? But Apple also usually sells refurbished previous generation iPods on their web site, and as I recall when the current model came out over a year ago, all of the previous gen refurbs sold out pretty quickly (I bought one because the current design was such a big downgrade). So maybe they really are out of those previous models.

Perhaps now that people have started returning the 1st gens if Apple can get replacement batteries those might end up back in the hands of users.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zyxar View Post

Yeah, yeah. You know of any other companies on the planet who have ever issued a recall for a six year old device and responded with brand new models? My belief was justified. This only makes Apple that much better in everyone's eyes. I'm fine with being wrong, and I won't ever be on this sort of topic in the future.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I would write to Apple and say I want my original back, with the click wheel, and I'll take my chances with the battery issue.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Yeah, yeah. You know of any other companies on the planet who have ever issued a recall for a six year old device and responded with brand new models? My belief was justified. This only makes Apple that much better in everyone's eyes. I'm fine with being wrong, and I won't ever be on this sort of topic in the future.

I was talking to a guy just the other day that had a Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV that died about a month before the warranty ran out and he is getting as a replacement a brand new 73" at no charge
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

You might recall that was a concern I raised when it was argued that Apple would only complete the trade-in with the same model.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I was talking to a guy just the other day that had a Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV that died about a month before the warranty ran out and he is getting as a replacement a brand new 73" at no charge

Apple has replace iMacs/MacBook Pros regularly that are on the last few months of their 3 yr apple care with a brand new model if the repair is more than replacement (or close to). Why wouldn't they for a 7 year? I brought it up in the old nano thread, but got shot down.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Apple has replace iMacs/MacBook Pros regularly that are on the last few months of their 3 yr apple care with a brand new model if the repair is more than replacement (or close to). Why wouldn't they for a 7 year? I brought it up in the old nano thread, but got shot down.

Because that ISN'T within AppleCare. And AppleCare new-for-old replacements hinge on an unofficial "three fixes and then a replacement" policy.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Because that ISN'T within AppleCare. And Apple care new-for-old replacements hinge on an unofficial "three fixes and then a replacement" policy.

No they don't. People have has their logic boards go out the lat month of the warranty and get a new one. First time repair.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

"yes I do"

No you don't. Apple are replacing 6 year old models that are 5 years outside their warranties.

Your friend merely had tv that died within warranty so they replaced it with what they had in stock, eg the company fulfilled it's obligations to the customer.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Just looked up the serial number of the device Apple is sending back to me... looks like I got lucky and am receiving a current generation iPod Nano tomorrow!
  • Reply 18 of 42
    I love my first ten iPod nano and use it just for bedtime podcasts. The only reason I will be sending it in when the box comes, is that the new one would have a working screen (my screen just shows white).

I haven't upgraded for one reason. when playing podcasts and the current on in the list ends, it doesn't automatically go to the next one. This is the exclusive reason I won't replace it. but since it's being recalled I have to send it in. I will leave a note in the box as to why I require a 1G as a replacement.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    My old Nano arrived at the service center on 21 November and I received an email saying that the replacement shipped on 17 December. The replacement serial number is: DCYGVK25DCMN

I went to the "Apple Support - Your Service and Support Coverage" site: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Put the serial number in and it said it was a 6th Generation Nano and that it had a valid purchase date but that Tech Support and Repair and Service Coverage had expired. So it appears to be a refurbished unit
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post

I will leave a note in the box as to why I require a 1G as a replacement.

And when they can't give you one, what then? You'll leave yours in their care and buy one off eBay?