Spirited Away

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got back from seeing Miyazaki's Spirited Away. Great movie, I recommend it to all, there is something in it for everyone, great way to enjoy an evening.(well maybe not, if your super cynical and can't enjoy anything, you might not like it...but...)

such a good movie, If you enjoyed Princess Mononoke you will enjoy Spirited Away

a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Better than "My Neighbor Totoro" ??????????????

Better than "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind"????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I hear Grave of the Fireflies was pretty damn good too

Spirited Away was excellent, and I wish I had the introductory paragraph to a WSJ article on it. Summed it up quite elegantly. Go see it, it's worth seeing in theatres.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Spirited Away is great.

The Japanese are great in producing animiated shows!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I hear Grave of the Fireflies was pretty damn good too

</strong><hr></blockquote>

oh shut up... just because it makes me cry like a little girl....

i saw the dubbed version of it in the theatres, and while the voices were good, i want to go see it again, ahem...jack, in japanese now, to hear how the voices were meant to be. there's something about hearing it in japanese, the little girl voices, the old lady voices, etc. i'm so lucky, next semester i'm taking "japanese pop culture"!

speaking of japanese film, if you see "the happiness of the katakuris" (<a href="http://www.katakurike.com"; target="_blank">"katakurike no kofuku"</a>) in theatres-- go! it is hilarious!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I saw both "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Akira" at a sci-fi convention in the anime room, several years ago...both in unadulterated Japanese. No English, no English subtitles.

Both were indescribably INTENSE, in different ways.

Go look for "Studio Ghibli" on the internet, it has six of their films in one DVD set. I plan on buying it soon.

D
  • Reply 6 of 8
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Great movie!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Disney or some other American animation house is making a dub of Spirited Away. I will not see it, because it will lose an enormous amount in the translation and censoring.

"Spirited Away" is NOT a children's movie, although it does not have much violence or sex. It's rather like "Alice in Wonderland" in that respect - the ideas are far greater than a child can understand. They can still be entertaining, of course.