RIM turned down multiple takeover bids despite financial woes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They had their shot, they failed to change. They've done some great research, they don't want it getting in the hands of people who won't use it for any practical purpose.

That's something to respect.

People were saying similar things about Apple during their mediaeval period. People who thought they should license their OS to other vendors, others who thought they should license Windows, and others who infamously stated they should shut down Apple and give the money back to the shareholders. When they bought NeXT, a company that changed the world yet never made a consumer impact, and brought back the outed Jobs as interim CEO it was said, as you know, that this was a dumb move. I believe Bill Gates made a comment about Jobs foolish notion of saving Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Thieves Make Off With 5,200 PlayBooks, RIM Confirms

A group of thieves made off with a truck carrying about 5,200 BlackBerry PlayBooks in Canada last week, Research in Motion confirmed Tuesday. The semi-trailer headed for Ontario reportedly was carrying merchandise with a retail value of between $1.7 million and $5 million.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397881,00.asp

Have at er boys!

Don't worry.

The police will find them dumped somewhere nearby shortly, with a note saying, 'Whoops! Our bad! We thought they were iPads'...
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:

A group of thieves made off with a truck carrying about 5,200 BlackBerry PlayBooks in Canada last week, Research in Motion confirmed Tuesday. The semi-trailer headed for Ontario reportedly was carrying merchandise with a retail value of between $1.7 million and $5 million.

Have at er boys!

Wonder if they will bring them back once they discover they're not iPads?
  • Reply 24 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Wonder if they will bring them back once they discover they're not iPads?

Is there an echo in here, or is it just me?

Beat ya!
  • Reply 25 of 73
    It is like watching a train wreck in slow-mo. In 12 months time when their new OS is (hopefully) ready, their user base will have evapourated. Dumb to go looking for a merger when you are desperate, if that was an option, they should have done it 5 years ago when the iPhone was announced.

One advantage of being dual CEOs, you only have to take half the blame when your company falls off a cliff.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    You have to feel sorry for the (now) poor investors... don't you?

$69.86 February 15th 2011

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

$13.44 December 15th 2011
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

You have to feel sorry for the (now) poor investors... don't you?

$69.86 February 15th 2011

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

$13.44 December 15th 2011

June 20, 2008 -> $144.56
  • Reply 28 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Is embattled better or worse than beleaguered?

+1

Quote:

Of that total, $500 was the value of the Playbooks.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's kinda fitting that they're headquartered in Waterloo.

It's their patents for the "push email" technology that's worth something.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Have at er boys!

Must have been a nice truck.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Must have been a nice truck.

Well, it's a good question as to the value of the tablets. A couple of financial writers have already brought this up.

If the value was really $5,000,000, that would put a value of $961.54 per tablet. That's obviously ridiculous.

At $1,700,000, the value would be $326.92. That's much closer to reality. But it depends on the mix of Flash the models have. The value to RIM would be much less, as most are now selling for $199. So that would put the total at $1,034,800.

I imagine the value would be close to $1,400,000.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, it's a good question as to the value of the tablets. A couple of financial writers have already brought this up.

If the value was really $5,000,000, that would put a value of $961.54 per tablet. That's obviously ridiculous.

At $1,700,000, the value would be $326.92. That's much closer to reality. But it depends on the mix of Flash the models have. The value to RIM would be much less, as most are now selling for $199. So that would put the total at $1,034,800.

Aw, Mel ... I was hoping the "nice truck" line would have tickled your funny bone!
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Regardless of value, RIM can now announce another 5200 shipped!
  • Reply 34 of 73
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They had their shot, they failed to change. They've done some great research, they don't want it getting in the hands of people who won't use it for any practical purpose.

That's something to respect.

Not really. It its going down, their job is to maximize the value for stakeholders.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:

I know I shouldn't, but?
  • Reply 36 of 73
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] "Until you stabilize the platform, people are going to be very nervous about spending $10 billion or more." [...]

Just wait another quarter. "Do I hear a 5 billion? Going once at 4.75 billion! Going twice..."
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Aw, Mel ... I was hoping the "nice truck" line would have tickled your funny bone!

It did, but you know my problem. I've just got to use an excuse to get some facts in.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

Yeah, but to where?
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just wait another quarter. "Do I hear a 5 billion? Going once at 4.75 billion! Going twice..."

RIM is now below book value, by a fair amount; $5 per share. If they were bought, the parts would be worth more than the company as one whole.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's kinda fitting that they're headquartered in Waterloo.

Ohh, SNAP!

Quote:

It is like watching a train wreck in slow-mo. In 12 months time when their new OS is (hopefully) ready, their user base will have evapourated.

What losers! #FAIL

Quote:

Makes sense Amazon would be up for RiM considering their KIndle Fire is based on PlayBook engineering.

Nah, Amazon would better spend their money buying up all that T-Mobile bandwidth so they can provide a lowcost network infrastructure for their next 3/4G platform. Otherwise Apple will snap it up - and become the cell phone company of Amazon's worst nightmare.