Apple seeds new OS X Lion 10.7.3 build to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday issued a new beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3, labeled build 11D36, to developers for testing.

According to people familiar with Apple's seed notes for the release, focus areas for the beta include iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari. The build was reportedly seeded with no known issues.

The combo update is a 1.25GB download, while the delta version weighs 986.68MB.

Developer releases of Mac OS X 10.7.3 have come fairly regularly in recent weeks, with the previous build, labeled 11D33, arriving on Dec. 15. Apple began testing the update in mid-November.

Earlier this month, beta drivers for AMD's next-generation graphics cards were discovered in a beta build of the update. AMD's new cards, which are expected to arrive on the market in the first quarter of 2012, could power a future iteration of the Mac Pro, though Apple is believed to be debating whether to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Apple released OS X 10.7.2 in October, adding iCloud support to the desktop OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday issued a new beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3, labeled build 11D36, to developers for testing.

According to people familiar with Apple's seed notes for the release, focus areas for the beta include iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari. The build was reportedly seeded with no known issues.

Hopefully this will be followed quickly by an update to Numbers & etc to support iCloud better!

Quote:

The combo update is a 1.25GB download, while the delta version weighs 986.68MB.

I guess the days of an operating system on a couple of floppies is totally gone. We can't even do an update without a major download.

Quote:

Developer releases of Mac OS X 10.7.3 have come fairly regularly in recent weeks, with the previous build, labeled 11D33, arriving on Dec. 15. Apple began testing the update in mid-November.

Earlier this month, beta drivers for AMD's next-generation graphics cards were discovered in a beta build of the update. AMD's new cards, which are expected to arrive on the market in the first quarter of 2012, could power a future iteration of the Mac Pro, though Apple is believed to be debating whether to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Apple released OS X 10.7.2 in October, adding iCloud support to the desktop OS.

Speaking of AMD I do hope the rumors about switching GPU vendors again is dead wrong. I actually would prefer that Apple keep AMD actively engaged as a partner. This mostly to keep AMD viable as a threat to Intel. I just don't see enough difference between AMD and NVidia for people to even care at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

r to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Remember in 2008-2009 when AppleInsider was proclaiming that Apple had killed the Mac mini?

And then the 2009 model came out.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Money says that the 10.7.3 update will land within the week after Christmas. It will be released in time to give all new Mac gift recipients an update to squash any previously known bugs and provide the best user experience with the Mac platform and its new iCloud integrated services. This would happen for customers shortly after they unpack and set up their new Mac.

It would be a well timed move by Apple to get it out in the week of December 25 - 31, I believe.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Apple, give us back our fracking scroll bar arrows!!!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Why ?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hopefully this will be followed quickly by an update to Numbers & etc to support iCloud better!

I guess the days of an operating system on a couple of floppies is totally gone. We can't even do an update without a major download.

Speaking of AMD I do hope the rumors about switching GPU vendors again is dead wrong. I actually would prefer that Apple keep AMD actively engaged as a partner. This mostly to keep AMD viable as a threat to Intel. I just don't see enough difference between AMD and NVidia for people to even care at this point.

From an OS X programming standpoint, nVidia chips are much more desirable, but also much more power-hungry for the same amount of work.

OpenCL and GCD are huge differentiators, and why OS X takes far better advantage of multiple cores and GPU processing. Pick most any Mac. Calculate the number of instructions per second for the CPU; then, do the same for the GPU and you'll see where the real power lies.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes, I do also hope that numbers is updated very soon,

As its sooooooo slow and clunky on Lion
  • Reply 8 of 30
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Supposedly seeded with no known issues, but I bet as soon as I do basic functions in apps like mail, calendar and contacts I can break it in two minutes. I don't think Apple knows how to test.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    No mentioning of the wake-up-and-you-get-poor-graphics-performance-bug.

It's a well known BUG since 10.7.0 which hasn't been fixed since now about half a year.

THANKS APPLE
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by detto View Post

No mentioning of the wake-up-and-you-get-poor-graphics-performance-bug.

It's a well known BUG since 10.7.0 which hasn't been fixed since now about half a year.

THANKS APPLE

A bug of which I've never heard nor experience on any of my Lion machines.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A bug of which I've never heard nor experience on any of my Lion machines.

That's nice for you but doesn't help a bit.

This https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 is just ONE thread mentioning this problem.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Here is just ONE thread that mentions the bug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3203487

But thanks for banning me for whatever reason that crossed your mind.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    May I post a link here or will I get banned again?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idunn0 View Post

May I post a link here or will I get banned again?

You're going to be banned again for creating multiple accounts that aren't actually banned?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Yeah, scrolling on a tiny laptop monitor is a freaking necessity! Give us back these tools, puhleeze.

And return the Address Book's 3-pane view.

And return the sidebar & tiny calendar to iCal.

And return SAVE AS, please. Especially to Preview. I mean, how can an application called Preview auto-destroy a photo, just because you rotated it to check something out? Doesn't Apple know what the word Preview means?

And stop de-featuring MacOS X in your stumbling, bumbling rush to marry it with iOS-whatever. I don't want my $2500+ computer behaving like a $49 cell phone! You know, we can tell the difference.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yeah, scrolling on a tiny laptop monitor is a freaking necessity! Give us back these tools, puhleeze.

That's what the two-finger scroll that we've had since 2005 is for.

Quote:

And return SAVE AS, please.

Please return the keyboard shortcut for "Save As", making it used for Duplicate, you mean.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

That's what the two-finger scroll that we've had since 2005 is for.

That's the new Apple way. What used to take one finger on the down arrow now takes 2 fingers on the trackpad.

I usually try to save my finger gestures for when somebody cuts me off on the highway

Quote:

Please return the keyboard shortcut for "Save As", making it used for Duplicate, you mean.

My bad, I wasn't clear. Yes, I'd like the SAVE AS feature returned, and if they want, keep DUPLICATE &/or DUPLICATE & REVERT right there, it's not a problem. But stop de-featuring the OS!

And fix the RETARD WINDOW, err, RESTART WINDOW. If I de-select this once, the computer should honor my request henceforth & not be so damned stupid.

And fix Preview. An app named PREVIEW should not be able to do anything destructive to a file! Again, does Apple know what the word PREVIEW actually means?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

And fix Preview. An app named PREVIEW should not be able to do anything destructive to a file! Again, does Apple know what the word PREVIEW actually means?

QuickLook is the new Preview. And why would you even MAKE changes unless you planned on committing them?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

QuickLook is the new Preview.

Then rename Preview so it's functionality once again matches up to it's moniker. If the new OS is indeed the Nanny, then drop all of this to the lowest common denominator (which is what Apple appears to be doing).

Quote:

And why would you even MAKE changes unless you planned on committing them?

Why would you even ask? Or even want to know? That's none of the damned computer's business. What I want to do with my files is MY BUSINESS. I absolutely hate being told what to do by a machine - especially when I used to be able to do something but now it's been taken away from me, and I got suckered into paying money for that privilege. I want Apple to stop this damned baby sitting nanny crap & get back to shipping kick-ass functions, instead of removing them.

Fix iCal, fix Address Book, fix the Retard Window. Get off our backs, Apple, & give us back our computers. They are not phones. I've met thousands of Mac users over the years and I can tell you right now: they all know the difference between a computer and a smart phone, even if Apple thinks we don't.

Stop de-featuring the damned OS.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Why would you even ask? Or even want to know? That's none of the damned computer's business.

So you're mad that it's doing its job exactly as designed.

Quote:

What I want to do with my files is MY BUSINESS.

And if you're just opening them in Preview, that's all that will happen. No sense getting upset about the changes you made to a file actually happening.