6 Million Sold In 3.5 Years. 10 Million Sold In 2 Years.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    [quote]

I really think the new Apple iMac will far out-sell the original simply because I think it is even more revolutionary than the first. The original iMac had a design that people were at first apprehensive about but then gave way to the cute nicely featured all in one loveable machine. I think the new iMac will do even BETTER because the new iMac is the digital hub on steroids. Once ads start rolling and magazines start getting stuffed with cardboard thick promos the new iMac will be a design icon in the industry. I would say it is already catching on and is instantly noticable.

<hr></blockquote>

Agreed. This new iMac is far better than the original, in that it is MORE original. The ID is art, plain and simple.

This G4 iMac also will sell better because it isn't cutesy like the old iMac was. The first iMac always had the aura of being a chick-computer. I remember when I first saw it, the first thing that passed through my mind is that Apple was targeting the teenage-chick crowd.

But the G4-iMac, it's just dead cool and it closes the gender gap while remaining sexy. Futuristic without trying, stylish without being trendy. It's art. Jonathan Ive and his design department keep improving, IMO, and he should be proud that he's bringing a level of artistry to an industry that is otherwise completely starved for even any cheap imitation of art.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    anyone want to give me $1799 for a website-programming or java-programming job? i have not enough money to afford one :-(

*sniff*

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Krassy ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 35
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I didn't realize how difficult is would be to part with my 1999 DVSE. I have people screaming for it, but I really don't want to give it up. Maybe I'll hold on to it until September (as I originally planned) then maybe I can part with it.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    My wife and I are decide to get one.

My Dad wants one a G5 for his recording studio.. looks like he'll have to wait.. he'll have the last laugh with is Cinema display though..
  • Reply 25 of 35
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by Macintosh:

[quote]

So there it is, 10 million in 2 years. Flame away.

<hr></blockquote>

Much too expensive for that.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by Smircle:

<strong>

Much too expensive for that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not always going to be as expensive as it is now. Within a year they'll have an entry-level $999 LCD iMac.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by sizzle chest:

[quote]

It's not always going to be as expensive as it is now. Within a year they'll have an entry-level $999 LCD iMac.<hr></blockquote>

Right. Until then, they have sold maybe half a million, so for the next year thats only 9.5mio left.

In one years time the specs will seem pretty underwhelming unless Apple brings out rev'd models (they will, no doubt) but those will be more expensive again.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by MacGregor:

<strong>Man if only you could get an AGP card that supports multiple displays on it, then I could honestly say I have no need of a tower.

You are right about the iApps adding so much resale value to these machines. I still wonder though, whether Apple wins by setting the default so high.

There is still no $500 iMac! Then you could sell 10 million of them (not lcd, I know).

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: MacGregor ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If the iMac supported an external display properly (i.e. an extended desktop and not just video mirroring) then I would have bought one. Because of that one feature (which limits everything to 1024 x 768 indefinitely) I can't justify having one for professional graphics work.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by Smircle:

<strong>

Right. Until then, they have sold maybe half a million, so for the next year thats only 9.5mio left.

In one years time the specs will seem pretty underwhelming unless Apple brings out rev'd models (they will, no doubt) but those will be more expensive again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much did the original iMac cost? How many did they sell the first year? Didn't the original iMac have "underwhelming" specs compared to top-end machines?

None of us knows how many of these things they'll sell, but every indication is that they're going to be "hot" just like the original iMac, maybe even more so.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I really want one. but I'm definitely waiting for one thing.. an update to the PowerMacs to see what Apple does to them.

I also have a very good feeling that Apple will introduce a 17 inch version this summer for 1999 or something</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't even say that!!! I'd buy one in a heartbeat!! Don't make me wait for that..hah

You think for 1999 it would be 17 inch AND a superdrive? Wow, I'd buy one for sure.

The only thing stopping me right now is that I have this little thing about not buying the first version of ANYTHING. Car, Stereo, Computer...whatever. Let them work the bugs out first.

• Reply 31 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

How much did the original iMac cost? How many did they sell the first year? Didn't the original iMac have "underwhelming" specs compared to top-end machines?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The original iMac cost $1299, and it sold over 1 million in the first year. Its specs were nearly on par with those of the PowerMacs of that year.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    I ordered a new iMac from the Apple Store on Tuesday, 2 day shipping, and I was expecting delivery today, according to the email confirmation of my order (however I didn't fully read the entire email, silly me, which described the order status *duh*). So, this morning I received a Fedex package, but alas, it was only an Apple Care package, and *no* computer.

So I called the Apple Store, and they told me that my iMac would be shipped within 4 to 6 weeks...arrrgh... According to the Apple Store, the system is "completely overwhelmed and snowed under with orders and they just can't keep up". I am happy that Apple is getting the business, but I shall have to wait sooooo long....

!!!
  • Reply 33 of 35
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Did anybody notice that the new iMacs have "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics processor with AGP 2X support

32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory"

Let me repeat :"...32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory"!

That is DDR memory for the Card. The G4 tower does not even have that. This card is nice and will make the iMac fly!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Samantha Joanne Ollendale:

<strong>

According to the Apple Store, the system is "completely overwhelmed and snowed under with orders and they just can't keep up"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is that an exact quote? wow

I wonder if you'll be able to walk into the Apple Store, drop down 1800 bucks and walk out with one anytime soon.

For those of us lucky enough to have one in our area this might be a better solution.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    supersuper Posts: 82member
    [quote] If the iMac supported an external display properly (i.e. an extended desktop and not just video mirroring) then I would have bought one. Because of that one feature (which limits everything to 1024 x 768 indefinitely) I can't justify having one for professional graphics work.<hr></blockquote>

Yep. This is the one feature that i would most like to see. We're still going to get a couple as web design stations though. Going to be great for that.