Apple investigating fuel-cell-powered MacBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple could build new notebooks that are even smaller and lighter than current battery-powered devices by switching to fuel cells for power.

The prospect of fuel-cell-powered MacBooks and other devices was raised in a pair of Apple patent applications published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and discovered by AppleInsider this week. They are entitled "Fuel Cell System to Power a Portable Computing Device" and "Fuel Cell System Coupled to a Portable Computing Device."

"Our country's continuing reliance on fossil fuels has forced our government to maintain complicated political and military relationships with unstable governments in the Middle East, and has also exposed our coastlines and our citizens to the associated hazards of offshore drilling," the filings state. "These problems have led to an increasing awareness and desire on the part of consumers to promote and use renewable energy sources."

Apple's proposed invention notes that the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool, or EPEAT, has helped to increase consumer awareness of the environmental friendliness of electronic devices. In addition, Apple usually highlights the EPEAT ratings of products it introduces at highly publicized keynote events.

"As a consequence of increased consumer awareness, electronics manufacturers have become very interested in renewable energy sources for their products, and they have been exploring a number of promising renewable energy sources such as hydrogen fuel which is used in hydrogen fuel cells," both documents state.

Apple then makes a case for using fuel cells to power portable electronic devices, noting that hydrogen and associated fuels could allow such devices to operate "for days or even weeks without refueling." But the company also notes there are challenges in creating hydrogen fuel cell systems that are portable and cost-effective.

The solution presented by Apple describes a fuel cell system that can both provide power to and receive power from a rechargeable battery found in a device like a MacBook.

"This eliminates the need for a bulky and heavy battery within the fuel cell system, which can significantly reduce the size, weight and cost of the fuel cell system," one filing reads. "This fuel cell system includes a fuel cell stack which converts fuel into electrical power. It also includes a controller which controls operation of the fuel cell system."

"Fuel Cell System to Power a Portable Computing Device" was first filed with the USPTO in August of 2010. It is credited to Bradley L. Spare, Vijay M. Iyer, Jean L. Lee, Gregory L. Tice, Michael D. Hillman and David I. Simon. "Fuel Cell System Coupled to a Portable Computing device" is a continuation-in-part of a patent filed in 2010. It lists Iyer and Spare as its inventors.

Apple's interest in fuel cell technology is not new, as in October AppleInsider highlighted another pair of patent applications from Apple that described lighter and more efficient hydrogen fuel cells. The company proposed accomplishing this by building multiple fuel cells connected in a parallel configuration by a power bus, along with a voltage-multiplying circuit to increase the voltage of the stack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Houston we've had a problem... fuel cell 1, fuel cell 3...
  • Reply 2 of 54
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    I applaud Apple's efforts but think that the future is with manually powered devices. Nature friendly and fighting obesity!

• Reply 3 of 54
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    imagine how hard it would be to get a device with a Hydrogen Fuel cell through the airport screening......
  • Reply 4 of 54
    I'm trying to figure out the point of putting AppleInsider Stamped on Apple Copyright Images that are available for the general consumer to review via the USPTO.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I applaud Apple's efforts but think that the future is with manually powered devices. Nature friendly and fighting obesity!

You are kidding, right?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    In other news, Google announces they did work on fuel cells first.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    If you recall, Apple bought the rights to the IP from Liquidmetal Technologies in August 2010 and then patented the fuel cell stack made from an amorphous glass ie: Liquidmetal. I really hope Apple does this as I keep reading about America's technological revolution that we are in and how we could be energy independent in 10 years. That would be amazing..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple could build new notebooks that are even smaller and lighter than current battery-powered devices by switching to fuel cells for power.

The prospect of fuel-cell-powered MacBooks and other devices was raised in a pair of Apple patent applications published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and discovered by AppleInsider this week. They are entitled "Fuel Cell System to Power a Portable Computing Device" and "Fuel Cell System Coupled to a Portable Computing Device."

"Our country's continuing reliance on fossil fuels has forced our government to maintain complicated political and military relationships with unstable governments in the Middle East, and has also exposed our coastlines and our citizens to the associated hazards of offshore drilling," the filings state. "These problems have led to an increasing awareness and desire on the part of consumers to promote and use renewable energy sources."

Apple's proposed invention notes that the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool, or EPEAT, has helped to increase consumer awareness of the environmental friendliness of electronic devices. In addition, Apple usually highlights the EPEAT ratings of products it introduces at highly publicized keynote events.

"As a consequence of increased consumer awareness, electronics manufacturers have become very interested in renewable energy sources for their products, and they have been exploring a number of promising renewable energy sources such as hydrogen fuel which is used in hydrogen fuel cells," both documents state.

Apple then makes a case for using fuel cells to power portable electronic devices, noting that hydrogen and associated fuels could allow such devices to operate "for days or even weeks without refueling." But the company also notes there are challenges in creating hydrogen fuel cell systems that are portable and cost-effective.

The solution presented by Apple describes a fuel cell system that can both provide power to and receive power from a rechargeable battery found in a device like a MacBook.

"This eliminates the need for a bulky and heavy battery within the fuel cell system, which can significantly reduce the size, weight and cost of the fuel cell system," one filing reads. "This fuel cell system includes a fuel cell stack which converts fuel into electrical power. It also includes a controller which controls operation of the fuel cell system."

"Fuel Cell System to Power a Portable Computing Device" was first filed with the USPTO in August of 2010. It is credited to Bradley L. Spare, Vijay M. Iyer, Jean L. Lee, Gregory L. Tice, Michael D. Hillman and David I. Simon. "Fuel Cell System Coupled to a Portable Computing device" is a continuation-in-part of a patent filed in 2010. It lists Iyer and Spare as its inventors.

Apple's interest in fuel cell technology is not new, as in October AppleInsider highlighted another pair of patent applications from Apple that described lighter and more efficient hydrogen fuel cells. The company proposed accomplishing this by building multiple fuel cells connected in a parallel configuration by a power bus, along with a voltage-multiplying circuit to increase the voltage of the stack.

• Reply 8 of 54
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

In other news, Google announces they did work on fuel cells first.

And Ballmer, at a summit for tech luminaries, ridicules the idea of anything other than traditional batteries powering consumer devices. "Consumers love batteries and the feeling of security of knowing they can plug their computer into the wall every few hours using a transformer. No one wants to go days without plugging in."
  • Reply 9 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That old chestnut. Every couple of years the Fuel Cell thing comes up.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roocka View Post

If you recall, Apple bought the rights to the IP from Liquidmetal Technologies in August 2010 and then patented the fuel cell stack made from an amorphous glass ie: Liquidmetal. I really hope Apple does this as I keep reading about America's technological revolution that we are in and how we could be energy independent in 10 years. That would be amazing..

I recall the acquisition, but I don't recall it being discussed in terms of fuel cells. Is this speculation on your part or is there real connection between these topics?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    So how big is this thing? Instead of plugging into the wall we plug into a fuel cell? I guess if the fuel cell is portable this might be useful, but I don't want to carry an external "battery."

If we're not talking about replacing the internal battery with an internal fuel cell, then I'm not sure I understand how this is going to be useful...
  • Reply 12 of 54
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    These stories about fuel cells replacing batteries have been in the media for ages.

Nothing yet. Keep hoping.

Will people carry little bottles of methanol around with them to add juice to their laptops?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    How long will it take the oil and battery lobbies to shut this idea down...again?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    If I understand it correctly, the fuel cell generates power, which is then stored in the battery and doled out from there as needed. A controller governs the relationship between demand (depletion of the battery) and supply (generation from the fuel cell).

This would allow one to use a smaller battery, since it would recharge more often, internally, from the fuel cell.

?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,289member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

imagine how hard it would be to get a device with a Hydrogen Fuel cell through the airport screening......

Great point, and same thing goes for methanol or any other high energy density fuel like those.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,289member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Indeed. I don't see it happening. The point made about airport security is good enough to kill the idea. But in addition to that, I really don't think consumers will be very keen on filling up their laptops with hydrogen gas or methanol.

Batteries aren't great, but they keep getting better. If somebody figures out how to make lithium-air work that could be a real winner (and despite the considerable difficulties of that approach, I think it's still more likely to work in the end than fuel cells).
  • Reply 17 of 54
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

So how big is this thing? Instead of plugging into the wall we plug into a fuel cell? I guess if the fuel cell is portable this might be useful, but I don't want to carry an external "battery."

If we're not talking about replacing the internal battery with an internal fuel cell, then I'm not sure I understand how this is going to be useful...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5325/

the main trouble might be getting enough useful volume inside the cell without compromising the integrity of the vessel is such a way as to make it tamper proof - or at least exceedingly difficult to turn into a weapon.

energy density is another key factor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

getting enough material into a space that makes a useful product is the engineering side of this

one alternative for airport safety - is that if the cells are uniform - or have a uniform cartridge size for example - then you could have some sort of exchange program - or stations at airports where you empty your cell before you board and get a credit for the hydrogen returned to the system - and then buy a refill at the other end.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

And Ballmer, at a summit for tech luminaries, ridicules the idea of anything other than traditional batteries powering consumer devices. "Consumers love batteries and the feeling of security of knowing they can plug their computer into the wall every few hours using a transformer. No one wants to go days without plugging in."

And they want lead batteries. No one wants a battery made of something they can't spell or pronounce.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    What happens to the water?
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Indeed. The LiquidMetal angle makes it a bit fresher, but I know they were "working on putting fuel cells in laptops" at least ten years ago, probably longer. It may be practical someday.

I think the key words in this patent are all that political, ideological muck at the beginning about "unstable Middle Eastern governments." That tells you right there that this is not mainstream at Apple itself.

All the mainstream patents have Jobs' involvement or at least someone serious enough to realise that that kind of language has no place in a patent application regardless of whether it's true or not. It makes them sound like flakes.