Apple looking to expand iCloud with new applications

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    iCloud still looks and works like it's in beta form. Some of the existing features that work in the background are cool (PhotoStream, iTunes sync, iTunes Match, Contact and iCal sync, etc.) but file management on iWork is a mess. For file storage and archives I use Amazon's Cloud Drive (5GB free) and Microsoft's SkyDrive (25GB free) but for keeping the important files in sync on all computers and various iDevices I use Dropbox. I'm patiently waiting for Apple to come up with something really good in this area that exceeds the aforementioned solutions from others. It really would have been great if Apple had acquired Dropbox and I'm curious what Apple will develop on their own to take on this service.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ariel view of course.

A Mermaid in every Mac?
  • Reply 43 of 58
    kp*kp* Posts: 13member
    I appreciated it when they introduced iCloud that Steve was like, "But Steve? Isn't this the company that gave me MobileMe?" I thought they understood. I thought it was finally going to be better.

It's exactly the same. I actually think it's a little worse.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    --Keychain Syncing (as noted by another reader above)

--Bookmark Syncing

--Dock Items Syncing

--Gallery

--iDisk (but new and improved, or buy DropBox or Box.net as previously mentioned.)

--Back to my Mac (Give me an iOS app for iPad and iPhone and web Interface at iCloud.com)

--Save to iCloud as previously mentioned (and sync my damn docs to my mac in documents folder or in an "iCloud" folder in my library.)

--Sync Changes to playlists on all devices

--Give me an "Auto-Update" option to auto download app store updates, both on my mac(s) and on my iOS devices (yes...I realize this isn't anything to do with iCloud...but C'mon man)

Last but not least...figure out multiple itunes/iCloud accounts and figure out a way to link or merge them.....DO IT NOW!!!!!

I have an iTunes account that is not an email address, I have 100's of dollars worth of music, apps etc and I can't use/access these purchases in iCloud or iTunes match, because I can't migrate this account to iCloud, because it is not an email address, it is simply a user name. FIX THIS NOW! - Yes I have filed a bug report, but the response is ..."sorry not at this time!!!" Are you kidding me?

Some of these were offered before and worked great. I hate having to maintain multiple systems. Bring back what I once had, and give me what I deserve as a long time paying customer!
  • Reply 45 of 58
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    iWeb and Galleries.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

<interesting anectode>

Dick, I love reading your stories and if you ever publish a memoir of all your experiences as an Apple user, I'll gladly buy it!
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

I have an iTunes account that is not an email address, I have 100's of dollars worth of music, apps etc and I can't use/access these purchases in iCloud or iTunes match, because I can't migrate this account to iCloud, because it is not an email address, it is simply a user name. FIX THIS NOW! - Yes I have filed a bug report, but the response is ..."sorry not at this time!!!" Are you kidding me?

Some of these were offered before and worked great. I hate having to maintain multiple systems. Bring back what I once had, and give me what I deserve as a long time paying customer!

i have same iTunes account as you which i can't use for email but i used it for iCloud directly and it asked me to create a mail id which i did and now my email id is different which is linked together with my .mac iTunes account?
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Dick, I love reading your stories and if you ever publish a memoir of all your experiences as an Apple user, I'll gladly buy it!

Here's purchase #2
  • Reply 49 of 58
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Would really like the ability to store my iTunes library in iCloud so I don't have to download iTunes purchases and clog up my hard drive. I could chose whether to stream the content or download it.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iwarriorpoet View Post

A stronger mapping App would be great. I personally hope Apple partners with someone to come up with a comprehensive, integrated fitness application that incorporates training of various kinds, nutrition, and other health tips. There really is nothing like that currently and I think it would be a HUGE market. One problem with existing apps is that doing data entry/viewing stats on an iPhone gets tiring fast. If they could allow users to view the whole app via iCloud, and create an intuitive interface for the Nano (rather than iPhone/touch--which are big and bulky for gym/running/biking)--I seriously think Apple could start/own the fitness market--which is big and getting bigger.

BTW--I use ActivTrax through iOS Safari. It is good, but hasn't really touched what is possible.

Runkeeper is very close to this already. Phenomenal app.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Would really like the ability to store my iTunes library in iCloud so I don't have to download iTunes purchases and clog up my hard drive. I could chose whether to stream the content or download it.

It already does this. Log into iCloud from a different computer and streams all your iCloud content without eating hard drive space. This is awesome if you own a MacBook Air like I do.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Not a fan of iCloud thus far. Push notifications simply don't work on emails via the iPhone and it's lacking features in regards to MobileMe. Plus, uploading documents to the browser is god-awful, although I'm sure some iWork updates will address this particular issue.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Not a fan of iCloud thus far. Push notifications simply don't work on emails via the iPhone and it's lacking features in regards to MobileMe. Plus, uploading documents to the browser is god-awful, although I'm sure some iWork updates will address this particular issue.

You must have something set up wrong as to the email push notifications... I can sit at my iMac with my iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPhone on the table next to me and I can hear the alert sounds as emails are pushed to each device
  • Reply 54 of 58
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

You must have something set up wrong as to the email push notifications... I can sit at my iMac with my iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPhone on the table next to me and I can hear the alert sounds as emails are pushed to each device

That's funny and I do the same thing. I have four devices and my wife has two. We can determine who just received a new email by the number of alerts that go off. If there are six alerts, we know that it's likely a forward from family or friends.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this sounds like a very generic job posting for a very junior engineer, not some top secret strategic move by Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

Cheers Dick and Postulant.

I checked the Apple forums and it seems to be a long thread about it. I've signed out and back in, restored the iPhone etc. but nothing has worked thus far. May be in need of a Genius visit, but interesting since you have quite a haul of gadgets with no issues whatsoever.

FWIW, iPad 2 works fine. Just the iPhone 4 giving me trouble.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowlandsolution View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this sounds like a very generic job posting for a very junior engineer, not some top secret strategic move by Apple.

Wanted: Top secret strategic iCloud engineer. Here's a list of all the cool, secret things you'll be doing:

• Reply 58 of 58
    Quote:

True, that works. But why is there no pull email? I mean, if I read the new email on my iPhone it should automagically substract it from the number on unread emails on my other devices. When push email was announced I presumed Apple would have implemented a recount on unread email but alas, 4 years later and it still doesn't do that.

It is just data; why it doesn't sync stuff like that is beyond me.

Gotta say, I absolutely love push email. Taking it for granted for years already.