Quicken for Mac 2007 being rebuilt to work with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    I switched to QuickBooks 2010 and I love it !
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Ya' know, I am really confused...

All this confusion revolves around "Coach" Bill Campbell.

The "Coach" is a former Apple VP; former CEO of Claris; former CEO of Intuit; current Chairman of Intuit; current Board Member of Apple.

I have never understood why there ins't more cross-pollination between Apple and Intuit

I cannot understand why Intuit's products and services are not released on the Mac at the same time (or before) they are released on Windows.

There is a very special opportunity to release iPhone and iPad apps -- or. at least, tie-ins to their desktop and web apps.

I certainly hope that Intuit exploits this opportunity.

Ituit Executive Profiles

William Campbell (business executive)

• Reply 23 of 64
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Forth told customers that the Quicken for Mac 2007 solution is "just a first step" in winning back the confidence of customers. Intuit is also expanding its development team to better support Mac users.

Intuit is going Back to the Mac?

That's truly desperate.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The "Coach" is a former Apple VP; former CEO of Claris; former CEO of Intuit; current Chairman of Intuit; current Board Member of Apple.

I have never understood why there ins't more cross-pollination between Apple and Intuit

I cannot understand why Intuit's products and services are not released on the Mac at the same time (or before) they are released on Windows.

There is a very special opportunity to release iPhone and iPad apps -- or. at least, tie-ins to their desktop and web apps.

Ituit Executive Profiles

I agree with you. I really have a difficult time with William on Apple's BoD when the other company he has high level involvement with shows disregard for Apple.

This situation reminds me of when Apple moved to OS X and Quark XPress was the king of page layout programs. I remember how stubborn that were at not supporting OS X. Then Adobe pretty much ate their lunch with InDesign. Seems to me the same thing has happened here, way too little, too late.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quicken Mac never had all the features of Quicken Windows.

QuickBooks Pro Mac never had the features of QuickBooks Pro for Windows -- nowhere close!

and running the Windows versions under VMware is bulky at best...

Having regretted every dollar (many many) I've given to Intuit, only to put up with unanswered questions and poor service, I've moved on -- never to return to Intuit.

iBank is not perfect but it is great to use.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Too slow! I switched to iBank 3 months ago, and like it a lot better.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I already switched to See Finance...very happy. There are many alternatives better than Quicken.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    I looked at other alternatives, but none of the ones I checked offered online bill pay, so I stuck with the old quicken....on a machine running snow leopard. I was wanting to replace that machine, when this comes out, I can. (however with Quicken's history, I will wait for a few reviews).
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I already switched to See Finance...very happy. There are many alternatives better than Quicken.

Please show me one that has online bill pay. I couldn't find one.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

As an AAPL shareholder, I don't want Apple squandering their precious engineering resources on maintaining Rosetta.

Let Intuit deal with it. After all, they knew about the whole transition and fumbled the ball. If another company licensed Rosetta to Apple, they might have a stab at it, but you can't keep the patience on a respirator forever.

There are a number of paths to the future, but Quicken for Mac (in the form of the 2007 code) is dead. Intuit has to really improve Quicken Essentials for Mac, improve Mint.com's investment tracking functionality, or see more Mac-based Quicken users go to the competition (like iBank).

If I were a bettin man (and I guess I am), I would say this is a stop gap. My guess is after this, they are going to bring all the features of 06 and 07 into essentials, re-name it, and do a charged upgrade. I believe that essentials was a complete re-write, in current code.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ituit Executive Profiles

If memory serves me right Intuit was getting ready to stop development altogether on Quicken for Mac. This was right as Jobs returned. Jobs pleaded with Campbell to keep Quicken for Mac alive and he relented. Pitiful then and pitiful now.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think this is true. They may licence the underlying technology and they certainly didn't invent that tech, but the product itself is made by and distributed by Apple.

The reasons they wouldn't add it to Lion are obvious.

Whether they could or not or how hard it would be I don't know.

Ya, Apple licensed QuickTransit by Transitive Software Corporation. They marketed it as Rosetta, but it was developed by Transitive.

Transitive was then purchased by IBM in 2009.

I think Apple could've bought the rights from IBM, but since Lion is 64-bit, they would have needed engineers to re-work it. I suspect this wasn't worth it for Apple, and perhaps the original Transitive engineers weren't available for such a project.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I run Windows via VMware to run three windows apps. Two of them are quicken and quickbooks. Intuit as far as I'm concerned has zero interest in Mac software.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

If I were a bettin man (and I guess I am), I would say this is a stop gap. My guess is after this, they are going to bring all the features of 06 and 07 into essentials, re-name it, and do a charged upgrade. I believe that essentials was a complete re-write, in current code.

I doubt if the Quicken Essentials product will ever have the functionality of Quicken 2006 or 2007. After all, Intuit has had four years to bring Essentials up to Quicken for Mac levels yet they have shown little interest in sinking resources into making that happen.

The more likely scenario is that they will make Mint.com more robust and eventually drop Quicken Essentials (which is like the Fisher-Price version of personal money management applications). Note that Intuit has already killed off Quicken Online. The Windows version of the desktop software probably has a brighter/longer future.

The Quicken/Mac situation stems from a lack of commitment from Intuit's senior management, not about any sort of technical hurdle. Let's face it, the iBank guys built their program from scratch and they have far fewer resources (people, money) than a software giant like Intuit.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    They better hurry up with some good Mac support (including mobility access via iPad/iPhone) 'cause I'm also considering moving my merchant account business away from them.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

All we need from Quicken is for it to have the exact same features as its Windows counterpart, and to work with all files interchangeably.

It's obvious, I know.

I've been a Quicken beta tester since the early 90's and many beta testers have been telling Intuit that for all that time. The only response from Intuit was that Mac users had different needs and didn't need the 'advanced features' of Quicken Windows.

But what do you expect from a company that still hasn't figured out networking as of 2011. It's really amazing that QuickBooks Mac won't network with the Windows version.

But it's not only Mac users who deal with crappy Intuit software. I spent weeks trying to get Point of Sale (appropriately abbreviated POS) working properly on Windows. Intuit was unable to figure it out, but I found something online explaining that POS was incompatible with .NET and that you had to update .NET (don't they do any more QC at Intuit?). Then, the days spent transferring a data file from one server to another. In order to make that work, you had to completely delete ALL the client software, reinstall Windows, update .net, move the data file, then reinstall POS on ALL the client computers.

It's a shame. Intuit used to make decent software, but that hasn't been true since about '95.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmatthes View Post

Quicken Mac never had all the features of Quicken Windows.

QuickBooks Pro Mac never had the features of QuickBooks Pro for Windows -- nowhere close!

and running the Windows versions under VMware is bulky at best...

Having regretted every dollar (many many) I've given to Intuit, only to put up with unanswered questions and poor service, I've moved on -- never to return to Intuit.

iBank is not perfect but it is great to use.

I switched to SEE Finance because it was the only one that would import my Quicken data file. Unfortunately, I don't like the UI of SEE Finance.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    What a complete joke of a company.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I run Windows via VMware to run three windows apps. Two of them are quicken and quickbooks. Intuit as far as I'm concerned has zero interest in Mac software.

And that is the real shame about this situation. Apple could have fixed this with a simple change to their licensing aggreements to allow virtualizing of 10.6, 10.5 and 10.4.

- kpluck
  • Reply 39 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It is written in C or C++ isn't it? Just bite the bullet and port it proper.

I have worked on such porting projects, and the effort is *always* less than the engineers expect. Endian-ness issues are never the nightmare they are made out to be.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Too little, Too late, i've got ibank now with no intention of going back to a company that has treated us so badly for so long.