Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new rumor from the Far East claims Apple is looking to launch a third-generation iPad next year on Feb. 24, which is the birthday of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The rumor comes from a report issued Friday by Focus Taiwan, which cited the Economic Daily News as reporting that Apple's so-called "iPad 3" will arrive to mark the birthday of the late Jobs. The detail apparently comes from sources in the iPad supply chain in Taiwan.

Component makers for the third-generation iPad will reportedly need to keep working during the Lunar New Year holiday to meet Apple's approaching deadline. Launch of the "iPad 3" is expected to exceed 4 million units.

"Because it is a new gadget, it is taking time for makers in the supply chain to raise their yield rates," the report said. "The sources said all OEM and ODM makers have exercised great caution in ensuring the smooth operations of their product lines."

Foxconn employees will allegedly only be able to take off five days during the Lunar New Year, if they are part of the iPad division. In addition, employees at Catcher Technology, which supplies casings to Apple, will also work overtime during the holiday.

And at least some employees at Simplo Technology, which supplies batteries, Amer International Group, which provides connectors, and Genius Electronic Optical, which produces optical lenses, will be required to work during the holiday.

Up until now, rumors have pointed toward an early 2012 launch of the next iPad, but no specific dates have been given. More rumors have focused on the hardware, which is expected to sport a high-resolution Retina Display like is found on the iPhone and iPod touch.

The source of the latest rumor, the Economic Daily News has a hit-or-miss record with predicting Apple's moves. It correctly stated that Apple would use a baseband from Qualcomm for its iPhone 4S, but has long claimed that Apple is working on a 7-inch iPad, and also claimed Apple's iPhone 4S would feature an aluminum back, instead of glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Now that would be a really cool gesture. Hope it happens.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready, which Steve Jobs trained Apple to NEVER do. And make it off-sized, like 7 inches, which Jobs said would fail. Oh, and then release it on his birthday. Kinda like serving a pork roast on Moses' birthday...
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Now that would be a really cool gesture. Hope it happens.

I see no market advantage for using Jobs's birthday if the device could be launched sooner or shouldn't be launched until later. If the launch coincides with his birthday it's just coincidental since it happens to fall on a Friday in the right season for an iPad launch.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Component makers for the third-generation iPad will reportedly need to keep working during the Lunar New Year holiday to meet Apple's approaching deadline.

Good that the manufacturers are forcing people to work during the holiday. We'll get the iPad 2S tht much faster.

It seems to work well for Apple to use these Asian factories. You wouldn't catch an American factory worker helping Apple on Christmas! Americans have too little gratitude.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    It might be a nice gesture but I just don't see happening. There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch. It should be interesting as the iPad has been ahead of the iPhone curve since it came along. A6, etc? We'll see in Q1
  • Reply 6 of 60
    There are some rumors that can be dismissed out of hand because they resemble nothing Apple has ever done or ever would do, and this is one of them.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental.

maybe they have a major reason to be sentimental now.

i'll buy both the iPad 3 and (iPhone((4S)+1)) they day they're available, whatever day that is.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    No.

Nein.

No way.

Moving the date up would eat into Holiday sales as customer wait for the new model. If they released a new model in February, December's sales would be strongly hurt by customers waiting for the next iPad.

Nien.

Non.

• Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

It might be a nice gesture but I just don't see happening. There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch. It should be interesting as the iPad has been ahead of the iPhone curve since it came along. A6, etc? We'll see in Q1

I agree, totally!

In the 33+ years I've been watching Apple the only things that come close are nth Anniversary Macs.

The date is about right though -- they could announce it on Tuesday Feb 21 -- Availability on Friday Feb 24...

Though, I must admit, iPad 3SJ (or iPad SJ) has a nice has a nice "feeling" to it
  • Reply 10 of 60
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

No.

Nein.

No way.

Moving the date up would eat into Holiday sales as customer wait for the new model. If they released a new model in February, December's sales would be strongly hurt by customers waiting for the next iPad.

Nien.

Non.

How could it hurt holiday sales if they announce it in February...
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see no market advantage for using Jobs's birthday if the device could be launched sooner or shouldn't be launched until later. If the launch coincides with his birthday it's just coincidental since it happens to fall on a Friday in the right season for an iPad launch.

At first I was going to disagree, but now I'm inclined to agree. Anyone who might care is already buying an iPad, regardless of how it is marketed.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    its not going to happen.
  • Reply 13 of 60

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Child).

...where opportunity and infrastructure could be provided to qualified, needy individuals and communities in developing cities and countries.

This could truly honor Steve and his wish to "change the world".

There are a lot of challenges to do this well -- but Apple can do this sort of thing better than anyone...

Here... I'll start the ante with:

The one iPad per Child program -- buy one at full price and Apple (and participating Countries/Communities) will give one for [well-managed] distribution in to a qualified user.

Now, that's what I'd call a worthwhile program for the post-pc era!

Where can I sign up -- Who's with me?

I'd love to track the demographics, activations and accomplishments of a program like this!

• Reply 14 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Chid).

...where opportunity and infrastructure could be provided to qualified, needy individuals and communities in developing cities and countries.

There are a lot of challenges to do this well -- but Apple can do this sort of thing better than anyone...

The one iPad per Child program -- buy one at full price and Apple (and participating Countries/Communities) will give one for [well-managed] distribution in to a qualified user.

I'd love to track the demographics, activations and accomplishments of a program like this!

We can still call it OLPC but it can stand for One Lock-in Per Child as I'm sure that's how any low cost tablet from Apple to help children in developing nations would be seen as.

I do seem recall that Apple/Jobs offered to allow OLPC to use Mac OS on their laptop but they declined.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

How could it hurt holiday sales if they announce it in February...

Because if the release is too early in the year people might be inclined not to buy iPad's in the run up to Christmas believing a newer version is only weeks away. Wives will find something else to buy the husband and he'll have to argue a case for splashing the cash 8 weeks in to the new year .
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Chid).

Lovely idea but I heard there's some sort of global financial crisis going on.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Because if the release is too early in the year people might be inclined not to buy iPad's in the run up to Christmas believing a newer version is only weeks away. Wives will find something else to buy the husband and he'll have to argue a case for splashing the cash 8 weeks in to the new year .

Q:When is the minimum date they can sell in the year for this not to happen?

A: There is none. These devices are all year with most buyers not being the ones that need to buy it opening weekend. The previous iPads were March and April and there is a whole slew of Apple products that have been released in January and February. Even the first iPad was announced in January so it was assumed the next one would be announced the next year in January. One thing Apple isn't accused of is poor marketing skills.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Personally I think they will avoid that date like the Plague.

Why? Because the media will harp on it being Steve Job's birthday.

I have total respect for the man and what he accomplished and yes I am saddened that he died and I feel for his friends and family. But as a pragmatist I have to put that aside and look at the whole thing in practical terms. And looking at it that way, Feb 24 is the worst date to release or even announce anything because of the connection to Steve

3-4 years ago when Apple's stock price got down to like $50 a share, it had little to do with Steve's health or his condition being kept a secret. The real issue was this Rock God image that the media had built up such that everyone viewed Apple and Steve as one and the same. If he was gone, so was the company. Now to be fair, Steve and Apple didn't help this with only having him in the lime light. But they learned that lesson and Steve started sharing the stage. Steve and Apple started showing that there were more brains in the clubhouse and 'here they are to show you what is coming up'. Unfortunately the media hasn't been as quick and still jump on the Steve, Steve, Steve bandwagon when they are given the chance. Even to the point of posting practically every page of the Isaacson bio, one paragraph to page at a time.

Releasing anything on Steve's birthday would just be fuel to rekindle that fire. It's a step back when what Apple needs is for everyone to acknowledge, mourn but also move on. The era of Steve Jobs's Apple is over. It's Tim Cook and Team's Apple now.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready,

Unless you know what they are doing with the next iPad and where they stand in the progress, you can't really say that it would be 'before it's ready' because maybe it's ready now. For all we know, it's done and tested and production is already starting. The source behind this article just might not know this information. Or does know it and isn't saying it because it would unmask him/her
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

This is a rumor not a fact. If Apple had announced, as a fact, when they were releasing it, that might hurt sales.

then again, so many folks are certain that it will be 1 year on the dot or less (rather than later) that even without a statement of fact, they aren't buying iPads already