iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite the proliferation of Android devices, users of devices running Apple's iOS dominated mobile online shopping in 2011, spending 19 percent more than those using Google's platform to end the year with a 92 percent share of the market.

A study by retail analysis firm RichRelevance released on Friday notes that iOS devices accounted for the bulk of all online non-desktop sales in 2011, holding just over 92 percent of the market, reports Market Watch.

The recent study analyzed 3.4 billion shopping sessions between April and December 2011, finding that mobile sales from iOS devices grew from 88 percent in April to over 92 percent in December. This provides further evidence that despite holding a fraction of Android's worldwide device market share, Apple's iOS growth continues to lead the market in many ways including online browsing.

?The numbers across our retailing partners sites demonstrate just how powerful the iOS platform is enabling mobile web shopping and, while still below 5 percent in total conversion, mobile traffic?s doubling in eight months is a trend we only see accelerating,? said Rich Relevance CEO David Selinger.

Mobile online spending has been growing steadily over 2011, with sales from mobile devices doubling from 1.87 percent of total retail sales in April to to 3.74 percent in December. Retailer's websites also saw an increase of traffic from smartphones, which grew from under 9 percent to 18 percent.

The average order value (AOV) of purchases originating from iPhones and iPads is also larger when compared to other platforms, with cost of purchase coming in at $123 for December. Android and desktop orders followed with $101 and $87 AOV, respectively.

Online shopping appears to be trending to mobile devices as mobile AOV is at $120 compared to desktop orders, which now stand at $110 as of December. In April, the two modes of online shopping were nearly identical.

Weekends see the most mobile shoppers, with sales jumping 25 percent above weekday traffic. Thanksgiving was the peak shopping day of the year, and saw a 40 percent boost in mobile sales that accounted for 24 percent of all online retail purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    This is most likely heavily influenced by iPad users. I will say that I did order a gift for a family member on my iPhone, was no trouble at all and just as easy as setting a reminder to do so.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

This is most likely heavily influenced by iPad users.

But? but iPads only account for 63% of tablets, so? that can't be right! These numbers HAVE to be wrong because of the VAST numbers of Android tablets out there!
  • Reply 3 of 93

Just wait until next year...

Siri 1.0 will be released...

...Siri will be available on the iPad...

...Siri will be able to buy things on your behalf!
  • Reply 4 of 93
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

<...>

Mobile online spending has been growing steadily over 2011, with sales from mobile devices doubling from 1.87 percent of total retail sales in April to to 3.74 percent in December.<...>

That should explain some of the motivation for the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

That should explain some of the motivation for the Kindle Fire.

Yeah, it likely does...

But I maintain that Amazon could have attained increased sales/loyalty by other less-expensive, less-risky means.

As it is the KF has a direct negative effect on the Amazon bottom line... and puts them in direct competition with Tablet manufacturers and OS suppliers.

I believe that it will shake out as a big mistake -- and will contribute to a more realistic valuation of AMZN buy the investor/financial sector.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But? but iPads only account for 63% of tablets, so? that can't be right! These numbers HAVE to be wrong because of the VAST numbers of Android tablets out there!

Not that hard to figure out. 95% of that 37% are part of the 'sales' to resellers that are still on the warehouse shelves.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    Why is this a surprise. Android phones/tablets are priced cheaper and at a loss in some cases. Why is the fact that iPhone/iPad purchases spending more?

If Apple is not beating Android in numbers, then beating them in spending is the next best stat.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Pretty easy to explain, since a vast majority of those Android phones sold to people were POS freebies that likely can do little more than make calls. When you have a phone that provides a crap experience, I doubt you are likely to trust it when making online orders and inputting your credit card info.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As long as Siri accepts responsibility for the bill she can do as she pleases.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    No surprise, really. iOS customers have money and do not mind spending it when they are presented with value. Android's best fans care more about the latest ROM site and trying to get their phones to do things their manufacturers should have done for them already. Most of us iOS people have...you know...spouses...significant others....kids...a job....things to do.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    So where is slapppy with the usual "market share > profit" comedy?
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

So where is slapppy with the usual "market share > profit" comedy?

He's busy designing a 7" iPad to increase Apple's market share.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

This is most likely heavily influenced by iPad users. I will say that I did order a gift for a family member on my iPhone, was no trouble at all and just as easy as setting a reminder to do so.

It's iOS Shoppers or did you think people cannot grasp that means a combined iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch ecosystem.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    Quote:

Just wait until Siri has the ability to diagnose your ailments. Just place a small sample on the screen and Siri will recite your health prognosis.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I figured several of you would be interested in what else RichRelevance has to say about the iPad and shopping/advertising efforts.

The Future? Beyond the Fold

Complicating questions of user behavior and the relevance of the fold rule is the increasing online traffic numbers from non-computer devices?mobile phones, tablet computers, and web-enabled game consoles?which currently generate 6.7%8 of US online traffic. Potentially the greatest force of change for the ?above the fold? design principle is the iPad, the unequivocal leader in the tablet computer space. Though only .92% of browsers currently use an iPad, that number is expected to more than double by the end of 2011, to 2.32%.

The iPad is a game-changer because it introduces the web?s first auto-rotating screen that is large enough (unlike the iPhone) to make the content readable when vertical. As its user base continues to grow, the iPad may well redefine many traditional principles of web design and web information architecture.

Blogger Peter Adams notes, ?The iPad marks the return to ?broadsheet? and magazine formats. It rocks the ?above the fold? web design paradigm to it?s [sic] core as the user can now scan the entire page without having to scroll?much like a magazine.? It only took 15 years, but it looks like the web page is finally going to act like a page.?
  • Reply 16 of 93
    There goes Google? advertising hell of, but no one of their custumers buying anything. One might ask, what all these advertisers on Google advertise on ?!

Fandroids aren't spending maybe because they need to save their money for the next super duper Android flagship phone, which comes around every 4 weeks ? Some of these Fandroids may have their #6 phone in 2 years? "freedom of choice" = freedom to go after a new device every few weeks.

Besides, people with bad taste probably shop their crap around the corner, not online.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    interesting. really interesting!

There are more android phones activated than iPhone now.

But iOS dominates in....mobile shopping, web surfing, app purchase & installation, app revenue paid to developers, mobile gaming, music streaming, online media distribution etc.

What the heck Andriods users use their 1.2GHz dual-core/qual-core 1GB RAM "smart"phones for!? Calling and texting. Andriod phone vendors are simply selling a device for people whose obsolete nokias and sony ericssons are ready to be ditched. it's time to buy a new phone for calling and texting.

You see how apple's products change/enhance the way technology impact and integrated into our daily lives while the andriod phones are nothing more than just a phone. The vendors got nothing to boast about apart from their slightly superior hardware which are actually useless for the andriod users and do not in any sense enhance their user experience much.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

[B]Siri 1.0 will be released...

I don't think Siri will ever get a version number. Surely they have something internally but I think from a consumer standpoint it needs to be as human relatable as possible, which to me means no version numbering.

Plus, Apple really hasn't done that with their internet-based services. Remember when MobileMe's Mail app had the beta you could opt into. That was always called Mail, not MobileMe Mail 2.0

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just wait until Siri has the ability to diagnose your ailments. Just place a small sample on the screen and Siri will recite your health prognosis.

I think the future won't be far off. Our devices will just be relaying information but I can see a world where they remind us to take medications based on the most opportune time and let us know when our bodies are being funky. Some of these cold be internal with Bluetooth 4.0 periodically sending info or when there is a crisis, others could be worn (like the Jawbone Up), and others could be done though items like a bathroom scale (which already have WiFi options for uploading results or capacitance sensors for measuring your body fat index).
  • Reply 19 of 93
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

You mean like this?

http://scoopertino.com/apple-takes-h...ok-initiative/

• Reply 20 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the future won't be far off. Our devices will just be relaying information but I can see a world where they remind us to take medications based on the most opportune time and let us know when our bodies are being funky. Some of these cold be internal with Bluetooth 4.0 periodically sending info or when there is a crisis, others could be worn (like the Jawbone Up), and others could be done though items like a bathroom scale (which already have WiFi options for uploading results or capacitance sensors for measuring your body fat index).

I can see it now... I'll park my butt on the sofa to watch the tube (sounds better than flat screen) and sensors in the couch will be activated... and Siri will speak from my iPad, "Hey lard ass, why don't you go for a walk instead. You've gained 2 pounds this month a your butt is a 1/2 inch wider."