Extract EXIF data from photos?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been googling this like crazy and so far, I'm stumped. I use Aperture for editing photos and I'm running the latest version of Lion.

I know that my photos have EXIF data. How can I automate the process of creating a list?

I want to create a text file with a giant list of photos containing three pieces of information for each (plus some html code I'll build into it once I've figured out how to make the list).

I want:

- the name of the photo

- the photo caption

- the name of the image file

I assumed I'd end up using Automator for this (?!) but there aren't any EXIF options in automator.

...is this the best place to be asking this sort of question? If you can think of somewhere better, let me know. Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    There is a command-line tool here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Once you execute the command you want, just redirect the output into your desired text file. Pick the EXIF or other tags you want ( http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/...ames/EXIF.html ) and then execute e.g:

exiftool -filename -exif:documentname -xmp:caption image.jpg > output.txt

Just specify the location of the output text file - by default, it should end up in your home folder.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I did find that, but command line isn't something I know how to use, especially since I'm trying to create a loop of info like this for a large list of images:

Name

Caption

filename

---

Name

Caption

filename

---

Name

Caption

filename

---

etc
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I did find that, but command line isn't something I know how to use, especially since I'm trying to create a loop of info like this for a large list of images:

Name

Caption

filename

---

Name

Caption

filename

---

Name

Caption

filename

---

etc

I'm not sure what tags are used in your photos (you can upload one to e.g tinypic or possibly zip one and put it on mediafire in case the image hosts strip the tags) but the command to get that output should look something like:

exiftool -m -p '$IPTC:ObjectName$/$IPTC:Caption-Abstract$/$filename$/---' /images

The /images folder at the end would instead be a folder of images you drag into the terminal window. To put the output into a text file, append the text path name:

exiftool -m -p '$IPTC:ObjectName$/$IPTC:Caption-Abstract$/$filename$/---' /images > /images/data.txt

Again, just drag the path in to replace /images/data.txt and type the name of a text file and it will create it for you. This will run through the whole folder of images filling in blanks where images don't have the tags.

You can find out what tags your files have by using the -IPTC:All command e.g

exiftool -IPTC:All image.jpg

Then just get the command-line equivalent from the tag reference sheet on the exiftool site:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/...ames/IPTC.html