Apple's Santa TV spot deemed best ad of holiday season

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which doesn't seem to have any affect on their sales or customer desirability.

Except when they do.

"4G-like" isn't Apple's style.

How is that in any way a "concern"? I'd be concerned if they made a larger iPhone. There's no sense in it and I'd never buy one.

4G-like is Apple's style. In the keynote they compared the iPhones speed to speeds of 4G except it isn't 4G.

You would be in a small camp then in regards to the screen size. Many current iPhone users I know would have liked the choice in getting one with a larger screen. The still opted for it despite that as the other features were compelling enough. Many had been Android owners that switch from larger phones because the company they worked for didn't support Android on their network. It is a concern simply because people, including myself, would like a larger screen - that's important to us hence the concern that isn't addressed. The iPhone is selling because of Siri otherwise it would be a ho-hum offering.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Outstanding advertisement. Though it still doesn't beat the Coca-Cola Lorry advert.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    The way this thread is going is akin to deconstructing a joke. Is it futile? Let's have a heated debate.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    It's a shame it doesn't work anything like as well in reality as it is shown in adverts. It is so bad I've turned it off.

Let's hope it improves when it gets out of beta.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

4G-like is Apple's style. In the keynote they compared the iPhones speed to speeds of 4G except it isn't 4G.

You would be in a small camp then in regards to the screen size. Many current iPhone users I know would have liked the choice in getting one with a larger screen. The still opted for it despite that as the other features were compelling enough. Many had been Android owners that switch from larger phones because the company they worked for didn't support Android on their network. It is a concern simply because people, including myself, would like a larger screen - that's important to us hence the concern that isn't addressed. The iPhone is selling because of Siri otherwise it would be a ho-hum offering.

I'm sure there wouldn't be one person upset if apple took their current shape and look, and gently pushed out only the screen to make it 3.7" or 3.8". But everyone assumes when people say "larger screen", they mean some 5" mammoth.

Same diminsions, larger screen = even happier iPhone customer.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Go watch that part of the keynote again.

Quote:

You would be in a small camp then in regards to the screen size.

So that explains the millions of people buying iPhones instead of the many, MANY options of larger phone?

Quote:

The iPhone is selling because of Siri otherwise it would be a ho-hum offering.

Wow, you just can't think of anything original to lie about, can you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post

It's a shame it doesn't work anything like as well in reality as it is shown in adverts.

It works exactly like it is shown in advertisements. If it's a different language with which you're having trouble, they're not all supported right now.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It works exactly like it is shown in advertisements. If it's a different language with which you're having trouble, they're not all supported right now.

It's understandable that MacTel would be having trouble. Siri doesn't speak Trollese.

But maybe he'd like this one better. it's new and original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4KGSi0AoJYs
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

English. It takes several attempts to actually understand what is said. I know it gets better with practice but in it's current form it is poor (even though it is the best voice recognition I have seen). Also it is much less useful anyway when there is no area support. I'm hoping the full release version is not too far away and works a bit better. The phone is great and I would not have a different one but I actually prefer the shape and feel of the 3Gs I had before. The 4/4s are like a bar of soap in the bath. They just want to jump out of your hand. I have already repaired two of them for friends.

As for the larger screen, I think something a little larger would still be perfectly pocket sized but it does the job. An iPad mini at 7" would fill the gap for those needing something larger.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

I couldn't agree more. This was a very mainstream ad that is nowhere near Apple's standards in previous years. It's not a bad commercial in the overall realm of commercials, it just doesn't have the "Apple" coolness that they have achieved so consistently over the years.

Does anyone really think Steve Jobs would have approved that commercial? I was hoping that would remain the test at Apple at least for awhile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e4l View Post

Thank you! I agree, it's not a bad ad, but "not bad" isn't the Apple reference standard. I also originally with-held a comment that i didn't think that it would have been aired with a Steve Jobs oversight.

sm

I think SJ would have approved, and maybe even did, given the length of time it can take to get an ad produced.

It is not your ordinary Santa ad, because it's profoundly subversive of the "myth." The punch line highlights the cognitive problem: 3.7 billion. Even kids will get the joke. Categorial left-brainers will not get it. Sorry guys. Try some medicinal cookies, you know the kind . . .
  • Reply 30 of 56
    The only ones watching ads now days are those without DVRs
  • Reply 31 of 56
    That is a great AD!!!

Merry Christmas to all of you....!

P.S. If you can, play it on a surround sound system. It sounds great....
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by downdinoiling View Post

The way this thread is going is akin to deconstructing a joke. Is it futile? Let's have a heated debate.

Oh my God, I totally agree. Yay for the commercial. But seriously... let's not go overboard. They haven't sold rolled out iSoul yet, so for the time being, you'll have to maintain your own.

Also?Whoa to the people who are replaying the thing over and over again?Why don't we all pretend our living room is an Apple Store, that we're employees and that we're all living in a dream world?

Merry Christmas, all. Do something that has nothing to do with Apple for a couple minutes tomorrow.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think SJ would have approved, and maybe even did, given the length of time it can take to get an ad produced.

It is not your ordinary Santa ad, because it's profoundly subversive of the "myth." The punch line highlights the cognitive problem: 3.7 billion. Even kids will get the joke. Categorial left-brainers will not get it. Sorry guys. Try some medicinal cookies, you know the kind . . .

I'm curious about the 3.7 billion number. Is that Christians? Or kids? Or good kids? Or kids he hasn't visited yet? Yeah my left brain is overdeveloped in some aspects.

Interestingly, there may be only about 2.5 billion Christians (Protestant + Cathloci) in the world. Could it be, God, like Santa, loves us all? :-o That organised religion is not very useful anymore, but instead spirituality from within? :-o
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Oh my God, I totally agree. Yay for the commercial. But seriously... let's not go overboard. They haven't sold rolled out iSoul yet, so for the time being, you'll have to maintain your own.

Also—Whoa to the people who are replaying the thing over and over again—Why don't we all pretend our living room is an Apple Store, that we're employees and that we're all living in a dream world?

Merry Christmas, all. Do something that has nothing to do with Apple for a couple minutes tomorrow.

Heh. When I worked for an Apple reseller, unpacking the big brown boxes/palettes to reveal the official Apple-packaging boxes and putting them on the shelf or stacking them in the storeroom was like Christmas everyday. I won't forget the feeling. Thankfully my retail stint didn't last too long because that was killer (not in a good way) but the unpacking whenever new stock came... One of the best parts of that job. Knowing it will go to (well, for the most part) good homes, rather than filling mine... Slowly became more satisfactory and eventually I got the Mac and iPod bug out of my system. I use a Mac for work, as needed. A simple MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz Core2Duo, Nvidia 9400M. Just got an ACD 20" Aluminium second-hand, man that is the best monitor design Apple has ever come out with. And it's *drumroll* matte, of course. And my iPod mini 4GB still works as a thumbdrive for the car radio USB reader.

However, I've been getting every iPhone and iPad model that has come out since iPhone 3G. Haven't "cured" that part of me yet.

Yes, I spent a good whole 10 minutes at breakfast and 5 minutes meditating, Apple-free. Achievement Badge deserved!
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Merry Christmas Everyone! Thanks for putting up with me all these years, even in my more, er... eccentric incarnation before "nvidia2008". All those years (and 8,713 posts) ago.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

The only ones watching ads now days are those without DVRs

I have regular free-to-air standard-def TV with no DVR where I am now. I call it, the "Poor man's BitTorrent". Think about it. That's basically what free-to-air or even lower-grade cable TV is. Without a DVR, you put it on, and just flick through and watch what you're forced to. It's "streaming video"... of the most elementary kind.

At least where I am it's digital TV, ie. about 480p/576i without too much compression so the quality is passable.

The screen is decent, Sony 30" 1080p, works nice with my Xbox360. Couldn't be bothered getting cable HDTV + DVR etc. at this stage, gaming takes up enough time as it is.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Merry Christmas Everyone! Thanks for putting up with me all these years, even in my more, er... eccentric incarnation before "nvidia2008". All those years (and 8,713 posts) ago.

And a very merry Christmas to you, nvidia, one old timer to another!
  • Reply 38 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e4l View Post

Really?? I don't want to be a hater, but I think having Santa in an Apple ad is predictable, cheap and unimaginative. Apple is playing at Best Buy's level now. The first time I saw it I thought (and hoped) that it was an independent ad from one of their carriers, and was disappointed to see the sign-off with the Apple logo.

sm

I agree.

Having Christmas themed advertisements during Christmas is highly predictable.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

What research was that? Samsung outsells the iPhone in several markets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nth-shops.html

Those are 4.3" phones. Apparently people like the larger screen size. I'd like the choice of having a larger screen as well but Apple feels one size fits all. If they truly believed that then they should only sell one model of MacBook.

Samsung outsells the iPhone in several markets...until you factor in other iOS devices.

People who like larger screens buy iPads.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Apple makes commercials that are very sensible.

All their commercials are well thought out like their hardware and software products.

True.

The only problem I have with this commercial is strictly technical. Every time I see it I think it's obvious that there should have been between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds longer pause before the punchline at the end. That, and that alone seems like a tiny "error" to me that Steve Jobs wouldn't have let go by.

The fact that it wasn't caught worries me a teeny-tiny bit as it's generally the commercials for a company that are the bell weather indicators of change. We should expect that if Apple "goes downhill" after Steve Jobs to some degree that we'd see it in the commercials first.