iOS, Android reach 55% penetration with US installed base of 109M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    According to the masses here market share means nothing, why continue to report on it AppleInsider?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Mac and Windows reach 99% market penetration. Misleading again.

Gotta get in where you fit in.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Let me see if I understand this.

"Android reach 55% penetration"

but

"iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market".

So, Android users are under performing.

They do 55% of the penetrations, but only 8% of the ejaculations.

Those Android fanboys need to step up their game.

Us Android fanboys just take a little longer to get there, OK a lot longer. We have much better staying power than out phones.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:

In order to calculate the total addressable market, Flurry took the "adult" population counts from the International Monetary Fund and then calculated the size of the middle class in each country using a study by Miller-McCune. The firm also added on the estimated size of the upper class for each country and then subtracted out the current active installed base in order to arrive at the number of customers around the world who can afford a smartphone and are not using Android or iOS.

This seems a little inacurate. My wife and I both upgrade our phone each year and give the old ones to our kids. I would say 70% of kids in the local primary (elimentary) school have a smart phone.

My eldest just went on to secondary school adn everyone in her class has a smartphone. Assuming that only adults have smartphones is a bit of a stretch.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    iOS vs Android numbers?
  • Reply 26 of 79
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    These are the flakiest numbers I have ever seen in any tech analysis. What a waste of an article. Looking at population sizes, actual users and potentials just do not add up to any logical consistency.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Data plans are typically around $30 a month on top of their voice and text plan.

$30 a month is $1 a day. ...

Thats expensive. I pay .5 euro per day, but that includes voice and text and unlimited data.

J.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Thats expensive. I pay .5 euro per day, but that includes voice and text and unlimited data.

J.

What country are you in and how many carriers do you guys have? I would like to know a bit more of how this works outside the US.

I am pretty used to monopoly pricing here in the states, both ATT and Verizon charge the exact same price (one charge more for minutes, other charge more for data). Sprint is a bit cheaper, but not as good a choice for speed or call quality.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

J.

I alos pay .5 euro per day - 0.70 USD per day. That is for unlimited data, 1000 SMS per month and 150 minutes talk time.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Let me see if I understand this.

"Android reach 55% penetration"

but

"iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market".

So, Android users are under performing.

They do 55% of the penetrations, but only 8% of the ejaculations.

Those Android fanboys need to step up their game.

Maybe you should be looking to exhume Freud (for yourself) instead?
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Wow... I wouldn't be able to afford a smart phone in the USA.

£30 ($47) gets me an iPhone4 32GB (£180/$294 upfront cost), unlimited texts, 3GB of data, Tethering, 500mins to any UK landline number or UK mobile network and unlimited mins to anyone on the same network (3Three UK). $80 (£60) is the price you'd pay in the UK for a contract with unlimited everything. Though a new deal just appeared on my network - £35 a month gets you exactly the same thing I'm on now but truly unlimited data allowance. Friend downloaded 64GB one month (just moved in, no broadband) and didn't get charged a single penny extra. He hasn't bothered getting a fixed internet connection because of it.

You would, because you would be paid more to do your job most likely.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

You guys are crazy. Data plans are in addition to regular voice plans, so are about 1000 per year on the cheap side on the plan as opposed to about 360 per year on a dumb phone on the cheap side. . Don't care how much that is per day that is still serious money for homeless people or those near the bottom of income distribution. That's just rediculous talk.

Sure, $30 for a data plan might not be the first thing they consider, but my point stands. It's not an excessive amount and easily obtained. If you go for 200MB it's only $15/month.

And how do you define homeless? I define it as people without a home, not necessarily those without jobs without families or friends, or as some drug addled lunatic. The housing market and resulting economic crash has put many on the streets in this country so I think a cellphone is their only option for a real phone outside of checking a library computer to check a Google Voice number. Are we also saying that it's unreasonable for a homeless person to have a cellphone or to be keeping up appearances or to be looking or have a job? Can you say it's unfathomable that someone living in their car wouldn't have a cellphone? I think it's likely they would which is why I wouldn't be surprised if some had a data plan.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Data plans are typically around $30 a month on top of their voice and text plan.

$30 a month is $1 a day.

$1 a day is actually a small price to pay for the difference between a dumbphone and a mobile internet communicator.

It must be worth it to these people. I know I could never go back to a dumbphone. (I rarely talk on the phone anyway... but everybody needs a telephone)

Not being funny, but $30 a month for a data plan add-on is a rip-off!

In the UK it's only about $40-50 for a plan with unlimited data, 300 OUTGOING minutes, 300 OUTGOING SMSes (we don't pay for incoming non-premium SMS/calls EVER).
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Not being funny, but $30 a month for a data plan add-on is a rip-off!

In the UK it's only about $40-50 for a plan with unlimited data, 300 OUTGOING minutes, 300 OUTGOING SMSes (we don't pay for incoming non-premium SMS/calls EVER).

Huh? Which carrier is this? O2 charges 10£ ($16) for 1GB of data. If you double that to get 2GB you get more than what it costs in the US so there is no the US plans suck in every way and aspect truth here.

Then you have to consider other things like range. For someone that travels 2500 miles between LA and NYC they can still use the same plan, but you pop across the Irish Sea or English Channel you have to switch out PINs and use an entirely different plan, and it's cheaper and faster to travel to other parts of Europe than travel across the US.

edit: I see Three offers the all you can eat deal for 35£ ($55) per month but we're talking about the UK's smallest, least popular carrier. Usually that means that something is amiss compared to the others which is why they are trying to compete so hard. T-Mobile USA is the US's 4th largest carrier, though not its smallest, and it has to try harder to get more business and doesn't have the infrastructure of the others.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Huh? Which carrier is this? O2 charges 10£ ($16) for 1GB of data. If you double that to get 2GB you get more than what it costs in the US so there is no the US plans suck in every way and aspect truth here.

Then you have to consider other things like range. For someone that travels 2500 miles between LA and NYC they can still use the same plan, but you pop across the Irish Sea or English Channel you have to switch out PINs and use an entirely different plan, and it's cheaper and faster to travel to other parts of Europe than travel across the US.

edit: I see Three offers the all you can eat deal for 35£ ($55) per month but we're talking about the UK's smallest, least popular carrier. Usually that means that something is amiss compared to the others which is why they are trying to compete so hard. T-Mobile USA is the US's 4th largest carrier, though not its smallest, and it has to try harder to get more business and doesn't have the infrastructure of the others.

Is Three the smallest carrier? They were the first 3G carrier and are also a virtual carrier (they get to use all other carriers networks I believe). Even so, they provide, by far, the fastest 3G service in the UK and have a very wide coverage.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Is Three the smallest carrier? They were the first 3G carrier and are also a virtual carrier (they get to use all other carriers networks I believe). Even so, they provide, by far, the fastest 3G service in the UK and have a very wide coverage.

Yep, the smallest.If they have secured agreements to also piggyback on other's networks it seems unlikely they would faster than the networks they are utilizing. Regardless, I have no idea who the fastest is, who has the best service, or whatever metric one can use; I'm certain Three is a great choice for many reasons — just like every US carrier has their pros (and cons) — but you need to consider why they are offering cheaper plans than other UK carriers and why other markets might have higher or lower tariffs for a certain service.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A heads-up for anyone considering an iPhone4 for a family member. Best Buy is offering the iPhone 4, 32GB, as a Buy One/Get One Free deal (BOGO). Good timing for last minute shopping. Service plan is available for either ATT or Verizon.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A heads-up for anyone considering an iPhone4 for a family member. Best Buy is offering the iPhone 4, 32GB, as a Buy One/Get One Free deal (BOGO). Good timing for last minute shopping.

That's an example of Best Buy not selling — but having paid for — all their old, outdated stock of 32GB iPhone 4s which Apple no longer sells.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's an example of Best Buy not selling ? but having paid for ? all their old, outdated stock of 32GB iPhone 4s which Apple no longer sells.

Yeah... and honestly a sign that sometimes the same thing happens to Apple that happens to other manufacturers - product gets shipped from Apple to the reseller and is thus "sold" but still sits in stock at that reseller for a while. I wonder why BB waited so long to try to clear them out - seems like Black Friday would have been a great time to get a storeful of people buying things they don't need. Today, from what I've seen, stores are ghost towns.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah... and honestly a sign that sometimes the same thing happens to Apple that happens to other manufacturers - product gets shipped from Apple to the reseller and is thus "sold" but still sits in stock at that reseller for a while. I wonder why BB waited so long to try to clear them out - seems like Black Friday would have been a great time to get a storeful of people buying things they don't need. Today, from what I've seen, stores are ghost towns.

It does seem rather late but the iPhone 4 is still selling so maybe they had some great idea that selling these phones then would somehow make sense. Or maybe they only bought them recently at a great price from Apple or another distributor who failed to sell them before the iPhone 4S came out. I think the latter makes more sense than Best Buy having sat on this stock for 3 months.