Mac Mini

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Do you think the Mac mini will be replaced in 2012? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Absolutely it will. That's not to say yours will stop functioning or stop being just as awesome as it always has.

Any update would be a spec bump. We're not gonna get some magical redesign or anything. Same case, same ports (probably. maybe ONE more Thunderbolt would be nice), same BYODKM idea.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely it will. That's not to say yours will stop functioning or stop being just as awesome as it always has.

Any update would be a spec bump. We're not gonna get some magical redesign or anything. Same case, same ports (probably. maybe ONE more Thunderbolt would be nice), same BYODKM idea.

Another marketing ploy you are really saying. Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Another marketing ploy you are really saying. Thanks

Not in the slightest. It's the relentless march of technology. A "marketing ploy" would be giving it a new case with the same internals and calling that a new product.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Not in the slightest. It's the relentless march of technology. A "marketing ploy" would be giving it a new case with the same internals and calling that a new product.

Big deal another Thunderbolt connection they will have.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Brand new processor and GPU, different amounts of RAM, different hard drive capacities?

It's a completely new machine. You've gone from gunning for it to dismissing it entirely because if you pretend it's not better than yours, that somehow 'justifies' you not getting one.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Why do you talk like Yoda?

Quote:

marvfox;

Another marketing ploy you are really saying.

• Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Why do you talk like Yoda?

Concerned he is, for the lifespan of his computer. Shame in that, there is not.

The next release will be a standard update: The difference will be great enough that upgrading from the previous model isn't silly, but also small enough that it's not a necessity to do said upgrade if you don't wish it.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Brand new processor and GPU, different amounts of RAM, different hard drive capacities?

It's a completely new machine. You've gone from gunning for it to dismissing it entirely because if you pretend it's not better than yours, that somehow 'justifies' you not getting one.

Just another rumor going around.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Concerned he is, for the lifespan of his computer. Shame in that, there is not.

The next release will be a standard update: The difference will be great enough that upgrading from the previous model isn't silly, but also small enough that it's not a necessity to do said upgrade if you don't wish it.

I think you are spiteful!
  • Reply 10 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

The only things I can see it having is the next rev of the Core i5/i7, better Intel graphics to support retina displays and possibly a better standalone graphics chip. I don't see it having another thunderbolt port or any port changes for that matter. Thunderbolt isn't exactly taking off here. I like the HDMI port. It opens the Mac Mini up to a lot of different uses that Thunderbolt would restrict. 

• Reply 11 of 27

It will with high equipped hardware capabilities.

• Reply 12 of 27

I agree Thunderbolt is not exactly that great as it is expensive to use and not that advantageous to use.

• Reply 13 of 27

Sometimes newer is not better remember that this pertains to audio equipment and other technologies we use.

• Reply 14 of 27
    dabaitudabaitu Posts: 2member

The only problems[url=http://www.mmohome.com/]Cheap RS Gold[/url] I can see it owning could maybe be the up arriving rev by way of the key i5/i7, much better Intel artwork to help retina demonstrations and maybe a much better standalone artwork chip. i'll not see it owning but another thunderbolt [url=http://www.mmohome.com/]www.mmohome.com[/url]user interface or any user interface modifications for that matter. Thunderbolt isn't really precisely getting away here. I such as the HDMI port. It opens the Mac Mini as much as some good offer of numerous employs that Thunderbolt would restrict.

• Reply 15 of 27
    dabaitudabaitu Posts: 2member

The only problems I can see it owning could maybe be the up arriving rev by way of the key i5/i7, much better Intel artwork to help retina demonstrations and maybe a much better standalone artwork chip. i'll not[url=http://www.mmohome.com/]www.mmohome.com[/url] see it owning but another thunderbolt user interface or any user interface modifications for that matter. Thunderbolt isn't really precisely getting away here. I such as the HDMI port. It opens the Mac Mini as much as some good offer of numerous employs that Thunderbolt would restrict.

• Reply 16 of 27

What happened Mac mini stays the same until maybe in the fall.

• Reply 17 of 27
    marvfox wrote: »
    I agree Thunderbolt is not exactly that great as it is expensive to use and not that advantageous to use.
    That's frequently how it starts. It is a considerable advance in technology with room to continue growing, so it has a large amount of potential. Price will go down in time.
  • Reply 18 of 27

We will see what happens.

• Reply 19 of 27
    marvfox wrote: »
    <p> We will see what happens.</p>
    This is a pretty common scenario across a wide range of technology advancements and interfaces. The risk is if the standard isn't adopted, but being such a great specification (small port, huge growth potential, far superior to alternatives) and backed by big players (e.g. Intel) that probably won't happen.
  • Reply 20 of 27

Do you own a Mac mini now?