Apple television rumored to come in 3 sizes, including 32" and 55"

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

What "new dimensions" do you think it will bring to gaming? Apple have traditionally been very conservative in this area. I think it would quickly devolve into 99c apps like angry birds you can play during ad breaks.

Just brain storming here. If the TV had a camera, maybe you could be in the game. Hard to imagine what 3rd party developers could come up with with the right hardware and software.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    The tv channel is the album, the show the single. Apple killed the album with iTMS... A la carte TV?
  • Reply 103 of 109
    The success of Apple entering the TV/lounge-room market has nothing to do with what the hardware looks like, how you use it, or whether it has a glorified feature list. Apple customers already expect so see cool-ade exuding from any new product released.

Apple have to work and negotiate with the industry to achieve a content delivery system that is simple and easier to use than the current method, which is the already streamlined, optimized and straightforward torrent environment available now.

I believe it has everything to do with who Apple can get onboard to use the device for content distribution. If this happens and the contracts are signed, make way for the next wave of innovative change where Apple's competitors will scurry off and attempt to mimic the hardware thinking this is the competing solution.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangles View Post

I believe it has everything to do with who Apple can get onboard to use the device for content distribution. If this happens and the contracts are signed, make way for the next wave of innovative change where Apple's competitors will scurry off and attempt to mimic the hardware thinking this is the competing solution.

xsu had it correct in Post #92. OTOH, you appear to be fixated on the notion that Apple needs to become some sort of super monopoly in content streaming. Look, there lots of content deliverers out there. There is Apple's own iTunes Music Store. There are also Vudu, Netflix, BlockBuster, Pandora, and many more. More importantly, there are ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, HBO, CNN, Fuel, History, SyFy, BounceTV, and hundreds of others. The thing that you don't seem to grasp is that we are talking about a television set. This is the device that we use to watch the Super Bowl, the evening news, Dancing with the Stars, and live coverage of local disasters. It is also the display for our video games, Blu-ray players, and videos of our trip to Disney World.

Do you honestly believe that Apple will go to market with a TV set that requires its owners to sacrifice their X boxes and PS3s? Will Apple require is new customers to mothball their Blu-ray players? What can possibly be so great about the rumored Apple HDTV that its owners will sacrifice their satellite dish before they make their first payment to Direct TV?

I have no inside information, but I just don't see any of this happening. Content delivery is an issue, but it is by no means the biggest issue with TV today. From where this owner sits, there are two major issues:
    1. Management of 1000+ channels of available news/entertainment in the living room/den

2. The plethora of remote controls required to operate each content source connected to the TV

Issue No. 2 is also a management issue. That being the case, it seems that all of the issues facing the modern TV set owner are come back to some kind of management--management of content, management of hardware.

I live in the USA where all television sets are legally required to have an integrated ATSC digital tuner for terrestrial digital broadcasts. I understand that owners elsewhere have more options such as integrated FTA satellite receivers. Wherever you live, the problem gets back to management.

It is silly to proffer as a solution to the management problem that Apple eliminate options. This does not mean that Apple most support absolutely everything. Clearly not. For example, an Apple HDTV might forego S-video or composite video. However, it clearly needs HDMI, component video, and optical audio ports.

The cable providers in the USA have a Federal mandate to support CableCard-like functionality. Perhaps, Apple can build CableCard into its sets. Sony and Samsung already use embedded versions of Linux in their TV sets. Apple's killer potential is iOS. An Apple dumb TV would still run iOS behind the screen. However, an Apple smart TV would inherit the thousands of apps already available for the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. The remote control could also be iOS-based--or you could use your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch as the remote. This would give the remote control the ability provide effectively perfect emulation of the remote control for every component in your entertainment system. It also has the potential to integrate the emulated remotes for each device into a rational and logically consistent system.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    This is exciting....I'm expecting some jaw-dropping features, after all this is apple!
  • Reply 106 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsa107 View Post

This is exciting....I'm expecting some jaw-dropping features, after all this is apple!

I'm expecting not a TV. After all, this is Apple.

Why the month-old thread necro when we have dozens of more recent threads on the subject?
  • Reply 107 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And so starts the crux of the problem. TV's are furniture.

My installation requires a 37". So no go for me. (If true, the middle size will probably be 42")

If they did make the size I need, what is the trim? Black? Silver? White? All of these mean no sale to some possibly sizable segment.

Your installation is not static, it requires nothing.

Quote:

Frankly I'll only be upset if they ONLY go the TV route and don't offer the same functionality via a box, because that's the only product I'll be interested in buying.

So why bother posting? I mean really I have no interest in a Playstation but I don't go crapping on forums for Playstations. Unless it is a social menace why concern yourself with what others might desire?

There are a couple of realities here. This is a new market for Apple thus they can't hit every possible size no matter how good they are. Look at how long it took them to get to 2 different AIR sizes. Second it is impossible to make the ridged happy.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Look, there lots of content deliverers out there. There is Apple's own iTunes Music Store. There are also Vudu, Netflix, BlockBuster, Pandora, and many more. More importantly, there are ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, HBO, CNN, Fuel, History, SyFy, BounceTV, and hundreds of others.

All of which can be serviced by a better black box. No need for an actual Apple TV

Quote:

The thing that you don't seem to grasp is that we are talking about a television set. This is the device that we use to watch the Super Bowl, the evening news, Dancing with the Stars, and live coverage of local disasters. It is also the display for our video games, Blu-ray players, and videos of our trip to Disney World.

Which could be serviced by Apple making a better/larger Cinema Display that also has HDMI inputs, optical audio i/o etc.

And by making a better dumb screen they open up their potential market to more than just folks looking for a new TV and perhaps avoid some of the licensing concerns that would come with putting in cable etc antennas.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

All of which can be serviced by a better black box. No need for an actual Apple TV

The device that Apple developed to "lick TV" is an TV with increased functionality? Surely, you jest. Black boxes are part of the problem, not the solution. In response to consumer opposition to black boxes, the U. S. Federal Government gave the cable providers a mandate to cooperate with TV set manufacturers to develop a solution that did not require a box to tune scrambling digital channels. Their solution is CableCard. There is zero consumer pressure for another black box. However, what you are talking about is not another black box, just the next version of TV. There may be a new version of the TV, but clearly that is not what we are waiting for and it is not what Steve Jobs was talking about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Which could be serviced by Apple making a better/larger Cinema Display that also has HDMI inputs, optical audio i/o etc.

And by making a better dumb screen they open up their potential market to more than just folks looking for a new TV and perhaps avoid some of the licensing concerns that would come with putting in cable etc antennas.

Um-m-m-m. no. You must be having a bad day. I understand that you are probably serious, so please excuse me if I laugh. But an Apple Cinema Display? A family of monitors that Apple is abandoning in favor the the Apple Thunderbolt display? With 44.44% of the pixels of an Apple Thunderbolt Display? Really?

You must have forgotten that Apple does not make its own panels. It buys them from Asian manufacturers. Rumors have it buying panels for its new HDTV from Sharp. Leave aside the fact that consumer TV monitors sold in the USA are required by Federal law to have integrated ATSC over-the-air digital free TV tuners. Reviving a fewer pixel version of the Apple Cinema Display line is not among Apple's plan to "lick TV."

Look. Take a nap and rethink this when you are rested.