Apple gains ground while Android pushes to 50% share of US market

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone grew 1.4% in the U.S. mobile OEM and smartphone OS markets during the three months ending in November, but Google's Android platform continued to dominate and gained 3.1% in its march to acquire half of America's subscribership.

Market research firm comScore's released its latest report on Thursday and saw more of the same in the U.S. smartphone arena from August to November, with Apple and Android showing slow but steady growth while RIM continues to lose ground and Windows Phone stagnates.

comScore's MobiLens service, which reports key trends in the mobile industry by surveying more than 30,000 U.S. subscribers over the age of 13, found that Samsung remained the top handset maker in America and posted 0.3% of growth. The South Korean manufacturer of Android and feature-phones now owns over a quarter of the entire U.S. mobile market.

Apple was the only other smartphone OEM to show positive changes to its marketshare, and leveraged the successful launch of its iPhone 4S to capture another 1.4% during the three month period to end in fourth place with 11.2% of the market. LG and Motorola took the number two and three spots with 20.5% and 13.7%, respectively.

Canadian company Researtch in Motion saw its BlackBerry product line take another hit as the devices suffered the steepest loss of marketshare, dropping 0.6 points to account for a meager 6.5% of the market.

MobiLens top smartphone makers | Source: comScore

Android enjoyed an overwhelming lead in the smartphone OS space, taking nearly half of all smartphone subscribers with 46.9%. The 3.1 point change from August more than doubled the 1.4% growth Apple's iOS managed over the same period. The iPhone maker ended November with a 28.7% share.

RIM once again saw the greatest loss, with a 3.1 point blow to its already suffering marketshare as only 16.6% of subscribers were found to be BlackBerry users.

Microsoft's fledgling Windows Phone dipped to around 5% while Symbian remains at the bottom with 1.5% of the market.

MobiLens top smartphone platforms | Source: comScore

MobiLens also found that overall mobile content usage was up across the board in metrics like texting, app usage and mobile internet browsing, among others.

Nearly three out of four users, 72.6%, sent texts with their phones but usage of downloaded apps saw the biggest point change and grew 3.3% to end November with a 44.9% share.

MobiLens mobile content usage findings | Source: comScore

The latest statistics are in line with reports of strong download numbers coming from iPhone users following healthy sales of the Apple's newest iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung remained the top handset maker and grew 0.3%. The South Korean manufacturer of Android and feature-phones now owns over a quarter of the entire U.S. mobile market.

Cue, in 3...2...1...

"I've never ever seen anybody ever use a Samsung phone anywhere. All I ever see are iPhones".
  • Reply 2 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple has almost 1/3rd of all smartphone handsets in the US? That's a lot for any company only selling premium smartphones.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nearly three out of four users, 72.6%, sent texts with their phones but usage of downloaded apps saw the biggest point change and grew 3.3% to end November with a 44.9% share.

One thing not listed on that last chart... Phone calls!

/

/

/
  • Reply 4 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has almost 1/3rd of all smartphone handsets in the US? That's a lot for any company only selling premium smartphones.

One-third of the market is indeed impressive.

But if the truth is to be told, not only does Apple sell premium smartphones, but they also sell midrange and low-end smartphones too. We may never know for sure, but my guess is that the latter sell very, very well.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    "Android enjoyed an overwhelming lead in the smartphone OS space, taking nearly half of all smartphone subscribers with 46.9%. The 3.1 point change from August more than doubled the 1.4% growth Apple's iOS managed over the same period."

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012. I do feel bad for Apple. They pushed the technology forward as with the Mac, only to lose again just like the Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

"Android enjoyed an overwhelming lead in the smartphone OS space, taking nearly half of all smartphone subscribers with 46.9%. The 3.1 point change from August more than doubled the 1.4% growth Apple's iOS managed over the same period."

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012. I do feel bad for Apple. They pushed the technology forward as with the Mac, only to lose again just like the Mac.

Not at all. Remember most of the android phones are simple dumb phones, that only make calls or send texts. If you look at any individual handset and compare it to even Apples 2 year old 3GS, they can't even come close. But of course I could be wrong. We all know that you Slapppy know everything.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why hasn't Slappy been banned for posting BS comments designed to incite arguments?
  • Reply 8 of 100
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why hasn't Slappy been banned for posting BS comments designed to incite arguments?

Why, he's fun to read. It's not often someone will go so far out on a limb to show their ignorance.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    zmaczmac Posts: 15member
    it's great news, AAPL has 1/3 of market share and but it has 2/3 of profit share! Mac vs PC all over again? look who's the most profitable Pc maker now?

Apple's market share will rise steadily because once you enter the garden, you don't leave. Android users? not so much, they can be fooled once or even twice, but third time, they will pick iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Not at all. Remember most of the android phones are simple dumb phones, that only make calls or send texts.

Actually, none of the Android phones are simple dumb phones. Not "most". Not even "some".

HTH.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    Quote:

How is Apple losing? How is Android going to get to 98%? Apple isn't losing share, it's growing. Android is just growing somewhat faster, but that's because RIM and other platforms are evaporating quickly.

How can Apple expect the same pace of growth when the iPhone has only been available on AT&T until this year? Apple only has a couple models and at higher price points. Android is available on every carrier, price point, and form factor.

The iPhone 4S mid-October and launches at Sprint and VZ aren't clear from the data because ComScore uses a 3 month average, so we will really have to wait until February or so, until recent sales become clear. But I expect Apple to be #1 in Q4 US Smartphones sales with about 50% of the market
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Quote:

Android grew 3% in one quarter, and you expect them to go from nearly 50% to 98% within the year? How many quarters do you expect 2012 to have?

And I'm not sure where all your business acumen comes from, but 'high profits' are what keeps a business in business. Companies that have had low profits and high marketshare have not fared so well historically, e.g. K-Mart, Sears, Woolworths, Circuit City, KB Toys, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Why, he's fun to read. It's not often someone will go so far out on a limb to show their ignorance.

But if they do it repeatedly, it's as bad as many people doing it.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

What about Google?

3.4% is a frightening slowdown after several years of skyrocketing growth.

Looks like they'll have to increase their mobile advertising revenue per user to make up for it, sponsored, unchangeable wallpapers perhaps.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    Quote:

put down the pipe...
  • Reply 16 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What about Google?

3.4% is a frightening slowdown after several years of skyrocketing growth.

Looks like they'll have to increase their mobile advertising revenue per user to make up for it, sponsored, unchangeable wallpapers perhaps.

This is why Google got into mobile. There are few areas they haven't touched yet, until they move into non-digital media.... Hmm. What would that be, anyway? Supergraphics on buildings?
  • Reply 17 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

LOL
  • Reply 19 of 100
    The much more interesting stat would be for switchers. I suspect that Android is mostly picking up new users, not switchers from other smartphones. Once BB goes to zero, 90%+ of the market will be either Apple or one of the myriad variations of Android.

Then finally, given Apple user's loyalty and lack thereof by Android users, we will clearly see a steadily eroding Android share:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...f_android.html

It's the math, stupid (credit James Carville).
  • Reply 20 of 100
    Maybe we should add the numbers for Samsung too, as their phones are designed by apple , manufactured by Samsung?