Amazon says 2011 was best holiday yet for Kindle family, still won't reveal sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Has any manufacture announced sale numbers? I see tons of third party speculation but no manufacture numbers.

Here's a phrase you can search for: "Apple 10-Q". Once you get there, search for "iPad sales" within the document.

Heck, it's audited too!

Why are your Android people so hesitant to provide actual data? What do you think they are hiding?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    undisclosed sales = disappointing sales
  • Reply 23 of 42
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Sales have probably been good for the kindle fire. It is the most popular kindle and they must have sold at least 4 million kindles in December so that would probably put the Fire's numbers at least at 1.5 million during the month. Definitely more successful than any other tablet launch sans the iPad.

The thing that will probably be more telling is what the return rate is. If the return rate is as high as some of the scuttlebutt out there, this will not have been a very successful launch for Amazon from a profit perspective. The next Amazon earnings report will be interesting to see.

Neal
  • Reply 24 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Two Kindle purchases here. One standard and one Fire. So far kids are very happy. Probably $100 spent between them on content, books, movies ect..... My only complaint is that the Fire is associated to my account and credit card with no way of changing that. My Daughter could order without my permission. I know she wont but the threat is still there. I hope they fix that or there is going to be some very upset parents which may result in many returns of the Fire.

So basically, Amazon hasn't even broken even with your purchase as they probably lost much more than $100 between the two devices when factoring in opportunity costs (costs of money), general overhead, sales marketing, distribution, shipping, warranty, returns, etc. etc. etc. Now factor in that the $100 you spent on top of the devices only returns a 2-3% margin and they have a long way to go. Also, basically what you are indirectly implying is that it's a good device for kids.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So does this mean one can never resell their Kindle Fire?

Good question!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

but declined to get into specifics on sales figures.

• Reply 27 of 42
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Can you read? That's 1 million "Kindles" not "Kindle Fire".

Sorry, e-readers don't count.

If the "Kindle Fire" sold so well, why not break out the sale numbers?

Simple. "Kindle Fire" sales number are underwhelming.

Maybe they are following Apples lead, Apple doesn't split their sales numbers either.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here's a phrase you can search for: "Apple 10-Q". Once you get there, search for "iPad sales" within the document.

Heck, it's audited too!

Why are your Android people so hesitant to provide actual data? What do you think they are hiding?

Does not list this Decmeber numbers, the ones this article is talking about. PS - Fire is Android based but is not an Android device. Figured you would know that.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heck, it's audited too!

Holy hell.... Apple's revenue from the iPhone in 2011 was... $47 billion

Which puts iPhone profit at roughly $28 billion for the year.

From a cell phone!!!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Maybe they are following Apples lead, Apple doesn't split their sales numbers either.

Apple doesn't split the numbers in a line of products... but at least they give the total number!

To my knowledge... Amazon has never given sales numbers.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So basically, Amazon hasn't even broken even with your purchase as they probably lost much more than $100 between the two devices when factoring in opportunity costs (costs of money), general overhead, sales marketing, distribution, shipping, warranty, returns, etc. etc. etc. Now factor in that the $100 you spent on top of the devices only returns a 2-3% margin and they have a long way to go. Also, basically what you are indirectly implying is that it's a good device for kids.

Its a great device for kids, not sure why that is funny. It is cheap, does what they want and simple to use???? I am not a big fan of little fingers on my expensive iPad. As for everything else you mention, pure speculation on your part.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

Does not list this Decmeber numbers, the ones this article is talking about. PS - Fire is Android based but is not an Android device. Figured you would know that.

You should get Apple's December numbers in January at their quarterly earnings call.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Which is why I wonder how this is a suprise with the Fire? They never post but yet seem to be doing ok.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

You should get Apple's December numbers in January at their quarterly earnings call.

Great, doesnt help with this article.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Which is why I wonder how this is a suprise with the Fire? They never post but yet seem to be doing ok.

Of course they are doing OK. I'd just love to know what kind of data Amazon has to give the SEC.

I mean... if Amazon did get in trouble with something... they'd have to report it, right?

Apple breaks down their form with all their different product lines and services... it's very specific.

Because Amazon is primarily a retailer... is their form simpler?

*searches for Amazon 10-K form*

No mention of Kindle sales or revenue numbers... the only time Kindle is mentioned is in the notes.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Great, doesnt help with this article.

Well... I don't have a f****** time machine... or else I'd help you.

I guess you're SOL
  • Reply 37 of 42
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Bu-huu, why won't Amazon tells us how many Kindles Fires they sold, so that we can troll, whaaa...

I am also curious, but I don't care about the exact number. It seems that they are doing all right. The number of reviews on amazon is steadily growing, the score has gone up a notch (3.9 average), and the 1 star reviews continue to be submitted by nitwits who didn't read the product description.

Apparently the recent software update addressed most of the previous complaints about usability.

Also, a bit off-topic, there is a VERY simple way to prevent kids from buying stuff with the Kindle Fire, just remove the stored credit card number from your Amazon account. How hard can it be to type in the number again when you want to buy something?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Apple doesn't split the numbers in a line of products... but at least they give the total number!

Which is exactly the same thing since the product range varies so greatly in price (especially the iPods)
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Well... I don't have a f****** time machine... or else I'd help you.

I guess you're SOL

I do
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Picked up a Kindle of the e-reader variety, mostly to save my eyes from staring at the screen between work, phone, play, etc. As a heavy reader, hopefully it'll give my eyes at least some rest.