I just may have to return to Cinema

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
The last year probably had me actually going to the Theater less to watch movies

than any other time before. I consider myself and avid movie fan but I just couldn't

really get up for many of the movies.

It's looking like 2012 may be a bit different. My current list of my Top 3 anticipated movies for 2012 are going to mirror many of yours as well. Here goes:

1. Prometheus- Hallelujah. When I first heard the name I was like "groan, not another Mythology film with overdone CGI. Instead I found that we're getting an "Origins" film in the Alien series that will contain no Xenomorphs! Instead we will learn more about the mysterious "Space Jockey" creature from the 1979 Alien film that was fossilized in a chair with a gun/telescope of some sort. We will learn why the Derelict spacecraft crashes on LV 426. We have a whole new story coming up that isn't encumbered with the current and tired timeline. Bravo.

2. The Hobbit- I read this book as a wee young boy and quite honestly I cannot remember near enough of it. I'm going to re-read the story before the movie and then enjoy yet another master class performance by Peter Jackson and crew. Certainly there will be changes that annoy purists but knowing that the story is going to be done well (based on the LotR series) is comforting.

3. The Dark Knight Rises -

Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors and he still manages to deliver great product even when the budget of his movies rises. He must be adept at managing the influence of the studio and keeping his vision. I expect nothing but great things coming from the final piece of this Trilogy.

If anyone knows of any other great movies coming up please speak now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Groan. Although these three blockbusters are indeed anticipated, it's the rise of the blockbuster in general that has made me less interested in movies, especially the fact that every fucking movie has to be 3D!!! I mean for fuck's sake, they're remaking Spiderman just so they can make it 3D. What's next, Gone With the Wind 3D? Vertigo or The Birds might work, and don't put it past studios to think this would be a good idea.

Last year there were some excellent movies, however. Black Swan was a January release, IIRC. 128 Hours was groanfully good. Crazy Stupid Love was the best romantic comedy in a decade.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

URL="http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknightrises/"]The Dark Knight Rises [/URL]-

Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors and he still manages to deliver great product even when the budget of his movies rises. He must be adept at managing the influence of the studio and keeping his vision. I expect nothing but great things coming from the final piece of this Trilogy.

Chris Nolan is amazing and I will watch anything he does at this point. Really looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Chris Nolan is amazing and I will watch anything he does at this point. Really looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises.

He's one of my favorite Directors. I know he's not going to deliver slop. Have you seen The Prestige with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale? Good film
  • Reply 4 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...they're remaking Spiderman just so they can make it 3D.

No. They are remaking Spiderman so that Sony can keep the movie rights, instead of having them revert to Marvel.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

He's one of my favorite Directors. I know he's not going to deliver slop. Have you seen The Prestige with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale? Good film

Yup, part of my collection.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Nice line up you have there....hope they live up to expectations
  • Reply 7 of 9

Saw Prometheus tonight. Worth the wait for Alien fans. Best since Aliens, by far. Good 3D too, although it's not really my favourite genre.

• Reply 8 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Saw Prometheus tonight. Worth the wait for Alien fans. Best since Aliens, by far. Good 3D too, although it's not really my favourite genre.

Yup, it was rather impressive, in 3D too. Of course not as great as Alien and Aliens2, but that's just me being old skool.

• Reply 9 of 9
    nancy znancy z Posts: 4member

waiting to see the Hobbit