Moved to FC: If Canada was attacked by Al Queida

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A recent tape where Bin Laden threatens a number of U.S. allies including Canada made me wonder.

Would anyone really come to our defence? (afterall, our own excellent, but small military force is hardly any comfort)

We Canadians really don't make a whole lot of noise on the world's stage. We're seen as rather a mellower version of the Americans.

But would there be the same kind of outrage around the world if we were subjected to the kind of terrorism that occured on Sept. 11th?

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Of course, and the attack would eventually be blamed on the imperialistic, busy-body practices of the United States.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    See you in Fireside Chat!

I suspect there would have been a worldwide outrage real close to if not the same as the one for 9-11, if the same number of people were killed. Maybe moreso since you're not as big an influence in the Mideast. You'd be more an innocent bystander hit out of the blue.

Not to be all U-S-A, U-S-A, but I'm sure we'd have your backs if anything happened, if only for our own self-interest.

Jeff

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

<strong>See you in Fireside Chat!

Not to be all U-S-A, U-S-A, but I'm sure we'd have your backs if anything happened, if only for our own self-interest.

Jeff

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any country with such close proximity to an attack would naturally be interested in their own security. I have a love-hate relationship towards the U.S.

As a Canadian, I obviously am influenced by American culture. We also need the U.S. for defence and protection. But there are times when I cringe at some of the foreign policies and the way the U.S. imposes the law worldwide.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Would anyone really come to our defence? (afterall, our own excellent, but small military force is hardly any comfort)<hr></blockquote>

Based on the noises coming out of your own govt they dont seem to think that your military is quite excellent in the least.

I think Canada would get every bit as much sympathy if not more. Canada is a fairly well liked country overall whereas the US is vilified for various reason - some legit, some not - throughout many places in the world. Of course you will want to take a cue from us Americans and make sure that you catch the carnage on video so that it can be rebroadcast ad nauseum so that others can see the horror first hand over and over again. Video beats an article in a newspaper and a still photo for effect any day out of the week.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

I cringe at some of the foreign policies and the way the U.S. imposes the law worldwide.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please? What "law" do we impose "worldwide". If anything it seem Europe is the one pressing their law "worldwide". Much more so than the US.