Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iPad is increasingly finding use in hospitals, where some locations have begun using the touchscreen tablet as a kiosk to allow patients and visitors to check in or access information.

The iPad has helped some hospitals to streamline their operations by reducing labor costs and improving staff efficiency, according to The Point of Sale News. Hospitals have begun to use specific applications on the iPad to allow easier access to information when used as a kiosk, with the iPad held in place in a secure frame.

The report notes a few uses for the iPad from hospitals around the world, including Singapore's Changi General Hospital. There, visitors, patients and hospital staff can find their way through the facility with an iPad located in a kiosk.

At Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital, doctors access up-to-date information with an iPad before and during a visit with a patient. And New York Methodist Hospital uses kiosk-mounted iPads for EKG and other diagnostic machines.

"The new system has been embraced by nurses and technicians as a great time-saver, and has proven a convenient tool for doctors as an access point to all patient data for analysis and diagnosis," the report said.

Professionals in the healthcare industry have shown great interest in Apple's iPad since the device first launched in 2010. Its use has expanded with new applications, including one that launched last year with FDA approval for mobile diagnoses.

Functionality for the iPad among doctors, nurses and others in hospitals could grow even more this year with an anticipated third-generation iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display. More pixels packed into the iPad's 9.7-inch touchscreen could make it even better for medical imaging among healthcare professionals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Aviation and healthcare segments need a device that's dependable, polished, and provides a consistent results both in OS compatibility, and user experience.

Fandroids obviously will dispute it and play the deniability card, but the patchwork that is Android is nowhere up to that standard. Keep it in the hands of those tech-heads that want to fiddle with it. That's where android belongs.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Fandroids obviously will dispute it and play the deniability card, but the patchwork that is Android is nowhere up to that standard. Keep it in the hands of those tech-heads that want to fiddle with it. That's where android belongs.

A couple of observations:

Seemingly, there are three "tech heads" buying Android phones for every regular guy buying an iOS phone.

I was under the impression that folks here considered that Android was mostly for poor people.

P.S. Why is the formatting of my .sig suddenly so ugly? It went from bold and easy to read to crowded and difficult,but I did nothing to change it.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Check in situations are perfect for a fixed iPad, brilliant and yet obvious.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

P.S. Why is the formatting of my .sig suddenly so ugly? It went from bold and easy to read to crowded and difficult,but I did nothing to change it.

We did. Signature heights have been given a smaller cap, as well.

"Bold" and "easy to read" means "annoying" and "unnecessarily large" to the rest of us. And that red dot still doesn't have any purpose at all.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We did. Signature heights have been given a smaller cap, as well.

"Bold" and "easy to read" means "annoying" and "unnecessarily large" to the rest of us. And that red dot still doesn't have any purpose at all.

Hey - It is a matter of Taste.

The formatting of this site is horribly ugly. The interface is missing essential features. It amazes me that people here are experts on UI and UX, choosing Apple for its beauty (among other things) while putting up with the ugly, barely functional forum software used by AI.

And now, I hear that the UX has been improved by means of reducing the feature set and uglifying the users's contributions.

I don't quite "get it".
  • Reply 6 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

…the users's contributions.

Signatures as "contributions" is quite subjective.

As for the actual thread, am I supposed to be surprised? This is why the iPad exists just as much as it being a portable device. It's wonderful to see that finally come out.

Eventually places will get over their aversion to having separate networks for visitors and allow people to carry in their own iPads, which will be able to download (or access a web page for) site-specific material instead of having dedicated machines in their lobby. Because eventually everyone will have an iPad and a kiosk will just be redundant.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Hey - It is a matter of Taste...

I don't quite "get it".

Nonsense. You "get" it. Stop pretending.

Your sig was taking a lot of space on posts resulting in everyone having to scroll down a lot to skip all your repetitive, hoarding space. You very well know that.

I distinctly recall folks asking you to reduce the length of you sig. You chose to simply ignore it.

The only negative part about it is that it took the mods do long to do it. Time to grow up.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:

Signatures as "contributions" is quite subjective.

The word has a meaning. My usage falls squarely within that meaning.

And given that my current, uglified and crowded .sig does not fall within your new guidelines, I especially don't get what you guys are thinking that you are accomplishing.

The content is precisely the same. The formatting is now horrible. Congratulations on the accomplishment.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:

I especially don't get what you guys are thinking that you are accomplishing.

Preventing annoying, pointlessly tall signatures from removing readability from actual content.

When the signature is taller than the response given, something is wrong.

I cut it up to show that it's not only a giant image signature, it's also animated.

And this is one of the tamest ones. When some forums allow signatures with infinite height and which can contain unlimited images, well…

I'm trying to find one to serve as a better example, actually. As much as I abhor those signatures and the forums on which they're allowed, it's something of a morbid curiosity of mine: finding the most garish signature of all time.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

When the reasons for eliminating useful features from software are specious, something is wronger.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Quote:

When the reasons for eliminating useful features from software are specious, something is wronger.

Well, further discussion on this needs to go in the Feedback subforum.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    There's forums where sigs aren't enabled at all, for good reasons IMHO. I've found them to be the single largest source of spam links, and sometimes the only reason a poster has to write anything at all. I've dumped or modified my share of member signatures over the years for excellent reasons. Modifying one with "Fried-Crustacean" size text is a valid one.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:

Preventing annoying, pointlessly tall signatures from removing readability from actual content.

I cut it up to show that it's not only a giant image signature, it's also animated.

And this is one of the tamest ones. When some forums allow signatures with infinite height and which can contain unlimited images, well?

I'm trying to find one to serve as a better example, actually. As much as I abhor those signatures and the forums on which they're allowed, it's something of a morbid curiosity of mine: finding the most garish signature of all time.

You have unusual Taste. You seem to have some sort of "thing" about .sigs. Never have I heard of such a hobby.

Back in the bad old days of 14.4 modems, signature limits were useful. In the era of broadband, not so much.

If you really think that the new guidelines are a Good Thing, then I doubt that typography is something you have studied closely. If you think that the decision allows only the current guidelines or "signatures with infinite height and which can contain unlimited images" then I suggest your thinking is a bit too black and white.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Quote:

You have unusual Taste. You seem to have some sort of "thing" about .sigs. Never have I heard of such a hobby.

Back in the bad old days of 14.4 modems, signature limits were useful. In the era of broadband, not so much.

If you really think that the new guidelines are a Good Thing, then I doubt that typography is something you have studied closely. If you think that the decision allows only the current guidelines or "signatures with infinite height and which can contain unlimited images" then I suggest your thinking is a bit too black and white.

Don't give me that. You've obviously not seen many other forums for you not to have noticed signature images/height problems. And yeah, I've studied typography. If we were laying out a book, I'd agree with you. This, however, is just an Internet forum.

Taken to a humorous extreme, you could say, "As long as the font's not Comic Sans, Papyrus, or Bank Gothic, we should be okay."

Again, bring it up in Feedback. This is completely off-topic. Also, could you remove the image from my quote? There's not really any reason to be quoting it.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:

How 'bout eliminating specious posts?
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:

Don't give me that. You've obviously not seen many other forums for you not to have noticed signature images/height problems. And yeah, I've studied typography. If we were laying out a book, I'd agree with you. This, however, is just an Internet forum.

Again: There is plenty of reasonable middle ground. The problems of other forums are not the same as the problems caused by the new restrictions. Creating new problems in order to forestall nonexistent problems makes little sense to me.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How 'bout eliminating specious posts?

Dick - Your sig violates the new guidelines. Such things are not allowed around here.

• Reply 18 of 86
    For whatever it's worth, I'd be perfectly happy if signatures were completely disabled. They add nothing to the discussion, and are slightly distracting.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    ^^^
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Deleted