Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Signatures as "contributions" is quite subjective.

As for the actual thread, am I supposed to be surprised? This is why the iPad exists just as much as it being a portable device. It's wonderful to see that finally come out.

Eventually places will get over their aversion to having separate networks for visitors and allow people to carry in their own iPads, which will be able to download (or access a web page for) site-specific material instead of having dedicated machines in their lobby. Because eventually everyone will have an iPad and a kiosk will just be redundant.

Yes! In places like shopping malls, access to an "in-house" WiFi network would benefit shoppers and sellers, alike -- shoppers finding products -- and sellers finding buyers and learning their shopping habits/trends.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! In places like shopping malls, access to an "in-house" WiFi network would benefit shoppers and sellers, alike -- shoppers finding products -- and sellers finding buyers and learning their shopping habits/trends.

Oh, man, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Walk into a grocery store. Your iPhone beeps, pulling up your grocery list Reminder.

"Siri, find the items on my list."

"First item: [Brand Name] Pasta: Aisle 3."

So you get your pasta.

"Next item, Siri."

"Second item: Skim Milk: Aisle 12. Your fourth item is in Aisle 6, between here and there."

"Thanks, Siri."

And so on.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    I am an IT admin in a library and I just installed an ipad in the same lilipad enclosure shown on the picture. We use it for our Card catalog.

The only drawback is that it has to stay on pretty much 24 hours a day. THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

Its a cool cheap way to have a touch screen kiosk.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

So set it to never automatically sleep the display.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Aviation and healthcare segments need a device that's dependable, polished, and provides a consistent results both in OS compatibility, and user experience.

Fandroids obviously will dispute it and play the deniability card, but the patchwork that is Android is nowhere up to that standard. Keep it in the hands of those tech-heads that want to fiddle with it. That's where android belongs.

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform. On many of these narrow fronts I'd keep an eye out for Android vendors discovering that an essentially dedicated tablet devoted to one occupational use might be very appealing to that market segment. Apple could get outflanked here if they are not very careful. I'm not sure they can fully guard against it.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:

I am an IT admin in a library and I just installed an ipad in the same lilipad enclosure shown on the picture. We use it for our Card catalog.

The only drawback is that it has to stay on pretty much 24 hours a day. THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

Its a cool cheap way to have a touch screen kiosk.

Home-grown app or app store app... Which one?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation.

That makes a lot of sense. You never know when apple will yank software or restrict existing features.

There's no way that any commercial airline will get rid of their paper maps or fail to update every copy that they have a subscription for.

Apple has made very clear that they have no big interest in the enterprise, and piloting hundreds of souls while relying on a consumer-quality device using consumer-quality data is dangerous.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Home-grown app or app store app... Which one?

Kiosk Pro

Also; tallest skill; I have that set to never sleep but kiosk pro has a setting to blank the screen at night but only blanks the screen for 30 seconds and comes back on again.

Right now I have it setup so the home page is just different photos sliding into the screen so I have some sort of screen saver.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Kiosk Pro

Also; tallest skill; I have that set to never sleep but kiosk pro has a setting to blank the screen at night but only blanks the screen for 30 seconds and comes back on again.

Right now I have it setup so the home page is just different photos sliding into the screen so I have some sort of screen saver.

It is good that you are not relying on that to navigate an airplane full of people.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform. On many of these narrow fronts I'd keep an eye out for Android vendors discovering that an essentially dedicated tablet devoted to one occupational use might be very appealing to that market segment. Apple could get outflanked here if they are not very careful. I'm not sure they can fully guard against it.

Until android oems realize that the sale doesnt end once money exchanges hands and begin a regular software updating path, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

Interesting. You've tried all the standard troubleshooting procedures, right? Have you tried contacting the developer and seeing what he says about it?
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Quote:

Interesting. You've tried all the standard troubleshooting procedures, right? Have you tried contacting the developer and seeing what he says about it?

Yes I have and they are working on reproducing the problem.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

Oh, man, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Walk into a grocery store. Your iPhone beeps, pulling up your grocery list Reminder.

"Siri, find the items on my list."

"First item: [Brand Name] Pasta: Aisle 3."

So you get your pasta.

"Next item, Siri."

"Second item: Skim Milk: Aisle 12. Your fourth item is in Aisle 6, between here and there."

"Thanks, Siri."

And so on.

Multiply that by 100 shoppers and that is a lot of noise pollution!
  • Reply 34 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Purell stocks are skyrocketing on this news.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Until android oems realize that the sale doesnt end once money exchanges hands and begin a regular software updating path, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe, but I'd say this is less of an issue than you suggest if only because Android OEMs are multiple and various. Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off. A clever Android OEM will eventually figure out that they can preload an industry specific app onto inexpensive hardware and market it directly to that industry. They could score big if they work it right, and it would come at the expense of Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:

Maybe, but I'd say this is less of an issue than you suggest if only because Android OEMs are multiple and various. Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off. A clever Android OEM will eventually figure out that they can preload an industry specific app onto inexpensive hardware and market it directly to that industry. They could score big if they work it right, and it would come at the expense of Apple.

With no regular, guaranteed updates then you have to worry about bug fixes and security. Until one of the manufacturers steps up in customer service, i don't see them making headway into this type of market anytime soon. Commodified or not.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform....

I think this is probably true in many of the enterprise zones where Apple products have begun to appear and multiply. In fact you could probably replace "aviation" in the last two sentences with almost any other business --

"The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in X. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer X apps have appeared first on the iOS platform."

-- and the statement would be equally true. Justly or not, Apple has a longstanding rep for making things for your kids to play with. Once an idea like this gets entrenched, it's hard to dislodge. By all accounts, for example, RIM's management took it as an article of faith (and corporate strategy) that their own tablet would be embraced as a serious working tool by professionals. "Amateur hour is over", right? And one sees this attitude right now in comments about the (vaporish) Windows tablets that are going to finally let people get real work done.

Maybe there's an opening for Android here, but who is going to exploit it? As Dr Millmoss points out, apps for iOS already exist. Developers have no incentive to port or create apps when the Android tablet user base is all but nonexistent. Android OEMS are hardware makers. Google has other priorities. Recent experience has shown that when you give Apple this kind of lead, it's awfully hard to catch up.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Quote:

...Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off.

Where do you see evidence of this? Any evidence at all?
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

With no regular, guaranteed updates then you have to worry about bug fixes and security. Until one of the manufacturers steps up in customer service, i don't see them making headway into this type of market anytime soon. Commodified or not.

If the tablet comes with the software preinstalled, then updates are probably not an issue. Keep in mind, I'm talking single purpose, such as the kiosk function discussed in this article. An Android OEM could probably manufacture a tablet that does this one thing well enough and sell it for a price far lower than Apple does, or even can. It becomes disposable tech, good for a year or two, like most mobile phones are already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

I think this is probably true in many of the enterprise zones where Apple products have begun to appear and multiply. In fact you could probably replace "aviation" in the last two sentences with almost any other business --

"The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in X. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer X apps have appeared first on the iOS platform."

-- and the statement would be equally true. Justly or not, Apple has a longstanding rep for making things for your kids to play with. Once an idea like this gets entrenched, it's hard to dislodge. By all accounts, for example, RIM's management took it as an article of faith (and corporate strategy) that their own tablet would be embraced as a serious working tool by professionals. "Amateur hour is over", right? And one sees this attitude right now in comments about the (vaporish) Windows tablets that are going to finally let people get real work done.

Maybe there's an opening for Android here, but who is going to exploit it? As Dr Millmoss points out, apps for iOS already exist. Developers have no incentive to port or create apps when the Android tablet user base is all but nonexistent. Android OEMS are hardware makers. Google has other priorities. Recent experience has shown that when you give Apple this kind of lead, it's awfully hard to catch up.

Yes, aviation is just one example that I happen to know about personally. Pilots are thrilled by the iPad and the navigation software (ForeFlight being the most popular). The rapid penetration of this tech into the (normally hidebound) aviation community is amazing. Yet, I hear pilots say quite often that they don't use the iPad for much if anything else, and they'd prefer an Android tablet if it could do the same thing, for a variety of reasons. This one particular application seems ripe for an incursion by Android -- and some others too, I'd imagine.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

Where do you see evidence of this? Any evidence at all?

Kindle Fire, $199. A sign of things to come.