Apple reportedly planning New York City media event this month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly planning an event scheduled to take place in New York at the end of January, and although many anxiously await the announcement of a much anticipated iPad 3 or new Apple TV, a product launch is seen as unlikely.

Citing unnamed sources close to the event, All Things D reported on Monday that the Cupertino, Calif. tech company is reportedly planning to use the event as a platform for an advertising or publishing announcement, though specific services or deals were not mentioned.

Multiple sources made it a point to convey that the event will not see the debut of a next-generation tablet or a new Apple TV, which some think will be launched later in 2012. Apple usually reserves product launches and important announcements for its home-state like the latest iPhone 4S, which debuted on Oct. 4, 2011 at Apple's campus.

Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue is said to have a role in the end-of-January event, causing speculation that an advertising or publishing announcement will be made.

Cue is currently heading up the iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and the last event that he attended in New York was the debut of News Corp.'s e-zine "The Daily" nearly a year ago.

The sources note that Apple has been actively seeking a replacement for Andy Miller, who left as head of the company's iAd division in August of 2011 to become a partner at venture capital firm Highland Capital while Cue took over operations of the mobile advertising division in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hmm. I wouldn't be opposed to the thought of a new non-television Apple TV in that timeframe.

Allowing it to be the flagship product for the A6 chip would certainly put it in the spotlight.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    iWork and iLife '13?

Updated iCloud with Photo Stream editing, Keychain Syncing and the merger of iWork.com and iCloud?

I hope so.

Edit:// I hope even more so they mention Sir Jony, Apple.com is still Knighthood-less.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    "many anxiously await the announcement of a much anticipated iPad 3 or new Apple TV"

Waiting for an Apple product makes people anxious?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This definitely sounds like a non-HW product release.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

"many anxiously await the announcement of a much anticipated iPad 3 or new Apple TV"

Waiting for an Apple product makes people anxious?

You ever go to MacRumors in the TWO WEEKS leading up to a product launch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This definitely sounds like a non-HW product release.

Tim Cook: I'm pleased to announce the release… *changes the slide* of iWork '11!
  • Reply 6 of 51
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Seems to be a wasted media event then if no new hardware products are going to be announced. Apple should just do a press release and save everyone the bother.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    NY is a perfect spot to declare a dividend.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwnorris View Post

That sounds solid to me.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    This will define the tech story of 2012. It will not be about "ultra books", TV sets, iPhones or iPads.

It will be just THE tech moment of 2012. Something *cloudy* integrating magazines, television, movies and music, some ad-magic with Siri & iAd.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    That would be Advertisement related.

Apple will probably announce some kind of arrangement that they have reached with the Carriers.

This could be for Music, but most important for how they will get the approval Ad Wise from the TV guys.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    My guess is that it is content related for iTunes/AppleTV with integrated iAds.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    they'll be creating the possibility of free iAd partnership. Everyone can start a (limited) campaign for free. Production tools for Mac and iOS available to public in App Store.

This will hurt Google. It will fill the iAd spaces in free apps. More free apps will push iOS hardware sales. The production tools will push the Mac. It will direct more ad business to iOS and lead to followup iAd sales.

If Apple wants to launch a TV platform then they need to fill their ad spaces. The current iAd model did not work out. As no one advertises, there are also no apps offering iAd space. The new iAd will give advertisers direct link to customers. Directly buy, subscribe to something if you want to. Sellers get your name and shipping address.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Apple placing iAds in movies and you get it for free. Would attract crowd to AppleTv & iTunes, by that haloing iPad and AppleTv sales, introduce Apple TV to broader audience, in reverse make iAds more attractive and also iTunes more attractive to content owners.

More people consuming more content, more people buying Apple hardware & into iOS, more audience for iAds. Consumers, Apple and publishers do benefit, Google losing ad business and TV market share.

And all it takes is linking iAds with iTunes movies. Just software, all handled locally by the iOS equipped Apple TV box. If consumer interested in an ad, just take over on your iPad or iPhone. A kind of interaction not possible with todays TV ads. Revolutionizing the TV ad business. => THE top topic of 2012. It will kill all other IP movie rentals within weeks and hurt the cable companies.

I don't know what Apple is waiting for. Everything is just ..there. For 14 months already. Now time to put pieces together.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

OK, I have a stupid question. How do dividends work? Are they paid out to stockholders as of a particular date or does a person have to hold the stock over a certain range of time?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Oh please. Just throw in the "iPhone 5" announcement in their while you're at it
  • Reply 16 of 51
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

OK, I have a stupid question. How do dividends work? Are they paid out to stockholders as of a particular date or does a person have to hold the stock over a certain range of time?

As of a particular time. Conceivably, you could buy the stock for $1.00 on day one, and on day 3 you could receive a dividend of 5 cents, at which point your stock would be worth 95 cents.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

OK, I have a stupid question. How do dividends work? Are they paid out to stockholders as of a particular date

Yes, that is usually how it is done.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Once a year you get a percentage.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

An eastcoast event could be stock related indeed.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Once a year you get a percentage.

I never received devidends from a US stock but in canada its once per quarter.