Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

I hear quite the opposite from my cousin at Delta. The pilots are all chomping at the bit to get theirs.

A response, but not really to anything I said.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The US military is adopting Android-compatible smartphones as their official choice, and the intelligence agencies are probably close to the same decision. They won't be reliant on Google updates like Android 4.0 either, so that's of no real concern to them.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/18/2...-army-networks

http://www.androidauthority.com/u-s-...es-soon-33588/

Even tho approval for iPhones and iPads may follow at some point, "approval for these two may come nine months to a year from now. He mentioned that Apple has yet to demonstrate high level of security in its supply chain"

I think it has more to do with who's palm is being greased and the security of the OS. Android has proven time and again that it's security is suspect on any device.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

I think it has more to do with who's palm is being greased and the security of the OS. Android has proven time and again that it's security is suspect on any device.

Your misread too many AI articles. The security issues you think you know about aren't with the OS itself. Otherwise it would not be appropriate, even customized, for use by the military.

Once you step outside the two ecosystems, Android's security features are inherently less open to attack, and better at isolating processes within the operating system than Apple's iOS. Add Android's ease of customization and it just makes a better solution for organizations that need to put specific security enhancements in place or severely restrict interaction with outside sources.

For the typical consumer Apple's curation helps keep malware at bay for iOS users (effective only as long as you don't jailbreak). That's an Android weakness, tho seldom any issue so far. Step outside and Android becomes a good solution for those needing high security or specialized uses.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    And as pointed out previously, it can be "forked" to create endless derivatives such as the Kindle Fire. It hardly matters whether iOS is superior. In Android, Apple faces a hydra -- but this beast is not mythical, it is very real.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And as pointed out previously, it can be "forked" to create endless derivatives such as the Kindle Fire. It hardly matters whether iOS is superior. In Android, Apple faces a hydra -- but this beast is not mythical, it is very real.

I'm still sticking with customer support will need to be a big focus for this to happen, but I wanted ask a question. If this is to be a popular option, why would these companies be limited to forking Android? Why can't they use some Linux variant since the argument is having tablets locked down to specific industry functions?
  • Reply 86 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I'm still sticking with customer support will need to be a big focus for this to happen, but I wanted ask a question. If this is to be a popular option, why would these companies be limited to forking Android? Why can't they use some Linux variant since the argument is having tablets locked down to specific industry functions?

I don't disagree, but I have been using as examples companies with decades of customer support experience, not fly-by-nighters. I suppose they would not be limited to Android, but the OS would give them access to apps already developed and an established set of development tools. Clearly Amazon thought this was the way to go with the Fire. I can see this as being a sort of template for others.