Bob Dylan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Saw him again tonight at Madison Square Garden.

What a show.... every year is as good or better than the last. great setlist featuring covers of Brown Sugar, Old Man, and Something (Harrison tribute)

His band is just fantastic. Larry Campbell steals the show as usual then again, I'm bias

but, wow, if you have a chance, don't pass it up... the only downside is the price... this year I didn't get the tickets comped and they were 80 bucks each, plus 25 for a t-shirt and 39 for parking...... errrrr

like to think it was worth it but boy, it hurts paying that much\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    $39 for parking?

Holy dogshit!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    He's playing a lot of Zevon, and for that he rocks.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>$39 for parking?

Holy dogshit!</strong><hr></blockquote>

ah.. sort of our fault.... we picked a lot right next to MSG without really realizing it.... "special event" parking of $39.... could have saved a couple bucks a few blocks away but still would have been paying 30 bucks+
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Dylan has always been one of my favorites.His recent stuff is among his best too.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I saw Bob in Ames, and you're right. It was fantastic. How amazing is Summer Days right now? I also saw him play End of the Innocence. It seemed like a weird choice, but Bob did it right. If you haven't already, you should check it out (<a href="http://bobdylan.com/performances/index.html"; target="_blank">http://bobdylan.com/performances/index.html</a>;).

Applenut: How do you know Larry? And you're right, Larry is the man. His steel guitar is to die for. Also, do you know anything about Charlie leaving the band? I've heard a lot of rumors pointing to this, but nothing about when or what he's going to do next.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    I went on monday. Hands down the best concert I've ever been to. He's old, he was tired at the end, but he's still got it!

My friends and I took Metro North into Grand Central and took a Taxi from there to MSG. Total cost was about $25 each, since our tickets were free. Not bad, eh?

Also, I spotted Conan O'Brien in the VIP area next to the stage. He didn't dance musch, but I saw him drumming on his legs occasionally.

Did anyone else go?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    HAHA, you saw Conan! I was going to ask... anyways did you see Al Gore? He was on the opposite side of the stage, 'dancing', Conan made it a point to make fun of him... in fact i only stumbled in here to mention CONAN, CONAN CONAN stage conan conan bob dylan conan CONAN conan conan... it's been a late night, and I wrote a paper with the help of caffeine and conan...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I saw Bob nearly a year ago in Manchester. Actually, it will be exactly a year in a week. :eek:

He's not coming up here this time around, but when he does come back, I'll go again.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Simple Ranger:

<strong>

Applenut: How do you know Larry? And you're right, Larry is the man. His steel guitar is to die for. Also, do you know anything about Charlie leaving the band? I've heard a lot of rumors pointing to this, but nothing about when or what he's going to do next.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Larry and Tony Garnier are good friends of my parents since they both grew up in the bronx and my dad has a lot of musician friends and everything. So whenever they come around, Larry usually gets us tickets if we want.

I haven't heard anything of him leaving :o ... I hope not.... I'll try to find out but I'm sure if people "in the know" aren't sure then I won't find out either.... oh man, hope not. Not only because I know him but also because, well, he really made the show IMO...

Summer Days is just awesome.... awesome.

[quote]HAHA, you saw Conan! I was going to ask... anyways did you see Al Gore? He was on the opposite side of the stage, 'dancing', Conan made it a point to make fun of him... in fact i only stumbled in here to mention CONAN, CONAN CONAN stage conan conan bob dylan conan CONAN conan conan... it's been a late night, and I wrote a paper with the help of caffeine and conan...<hr></blockquote>

IT GETS FUNNIER!!! During the wednesday Bob Dylan show, Bob actually mentioned the incident... he said something like al gore was here the other night and some talk show host, I can't remember his name was trying to say hello to me, and Al Gore came and grabbed him away,

I couldn't believe... was laughing my ass off

"I seen you on zee tv"

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Applenut, the rumor is that Charlie Sexton is leaving, not Larry.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    OMFG Applenut...You saw Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread in person!? You are lucky indeed. They posted the Real stream over at <a href="http://bobdylan.com"; target="_blank">http://bobdylan.com</a>; if anyone is interested.

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Simple Ranger ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I cna't beleive he's still going, I saw him with his original band, (the Band) in 1965.