Apple iOS 5 trounces Windows Phone browser in speed test

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Then again, it shouldn't be a show stopper. The iPhone didn't have a few 'basic' things with version 1, yet it sold well.

The original iPhone sold well 4 years ago when smart phone expectations were much different, there was little or no comparable competition and video calling apps like skype and facetime just didn't exist in the mobile phone arena like they do today.

It is now 2012 and yet a brand new top end Nokia phone is missing basic features which every competing phone now has and that people were calling Apple out for not including in the iPhone 3 years ago... have they learnt nothing?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

The original iPhone sold well 4 years ago when smart phone expectations were much different, there was little or no comparable competition and video calling apps like skype and facetime just didn't exist in the mobile phone arena like they do today.

It is now 2012 and yet a brand new top end Nokia phone is missing basic features which every competing phone now has and that people were calling Apple out for not including in the iPhone 3 years ago... have they learnt nothing?

On top of that the original iPhone was Apple's first foray into the mobile phone market. How long have Nokia and Microsoft been making phones now?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    The A4 chip in iPhone 4 is clocked at 800 MHz rather than 1 GHz (which AI stated in the article), as I understand from a bit of googling around. Correct me if that's not true.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

That seems odd. Microsoft buys Skype for $8 billion then releases their first Nokia phone that can't make video Skype calls.

Excellent point!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Microsoft has a good chance of being big player here.

They have their way of starting small and slowly gaining market share. Their vast resources allow them to keep on trying until something sticks. Then again, in typical MS fashion they can also be inconsistent to that - think Zune.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    At the end of the day it will be about which platform provides for the best Apps. Browser speed will be a second consideration. Microsoft will lose again.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Valid point. Some companies do learn; the non-replaceable battery was considered a no-no by iPhone competitors, now look how many phones adopted that.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    I ran the same tests on my 4S and pretty much duplicated their test scores last night. Actually, a few of my results were slightly better than their test numbers.

While it may not be up to the 4S speeds, it is nice to see MS has gone a completely different direction.They've went for another style of look and feel with the newest Windows mobile platform. It just goes to show that duplication isn't the only way to compete in the smartphone world.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallistDah View Post

At the end of the day it will be about which platform provides for the best Apps. Browser speed will be a second consideration. Microsoft will lose again.

At the end of the day all apps we consider have some value will exist on all platforms with equal functionality. This is not the case right now but we will come to that soon.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    i would like to know why mango isn't in the N8, really.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Nice trouncing Andysol!

testing 1,2,3