Best place to go for a Mac Newbie for simple questions?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I finally broke down and purchased a MacPro yesterday. I will say that I am enjoying it so far, but I am really hoping I can get to some features pretty easy.

For starters, this morning when I booted it up I had like 4 or 5 programs open up in a window. My dock has 7 programs running, as the little white dot is glowing below them. Why are these programs not closing when I shut it down completely? How do I close them besides hitting the red X as I did?

If anybody knows of a good place that I can go to for this kind of stuff please point me to it. I purchased the One 2 One, but have not been able to get to it yet.

Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post

For starters, this morning when I booted it up I had like 4 or 5 programs open up in a window.

Resume.

Quote:

Why are these programs not closing when I shut it down completely?

You kidding? Of course they are. The computer isn't shut down by definition if something is still running. It's Resume.

Quote:

How do I close them besides hitting the red X as I did?

That doesn't close applications in OS X unless the application can only have one window. Never has, never will. Quitting the application, however, will quit it (Open Apple+Q).

If you leave applications open, they'll reopen on restart. Otherwise tick the check box when you shut down to stop it from happening.

Also, don't shut down. People don't do that anymore. Just put it to sleep; much faster morning startups!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, don't shut down. People don't do that anymore. Just put it to sleep; much faster morning startups!

I'm not sure about that. I've read that a computer can 'go crazy' if it's not shut down occasionally. I've experienced weird things happening if I don't reboot from time to time. However, I do put my computer to sleep most of the time.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

If anybody knows of a good place that I can go to for this kind of stuff please point me to it. I purchased the One 2 One, but have not been able to get to it yet.

Thanks Guys!

I haven't tried this, but it may help. https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ers/imac_intel

However, I find that, if I can't find an answer with Mac HELP (awful) or anywhere else, that Marvin and other Mac literati on AI can usually answer my esoteric questions and supply much better help and answers than anywhere else. Marvin and other AI members have saved my ass on more occasions than I could possibly count.

That said, you have to overlook the nasties and trolls that haunt this forum. Just ignore them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help. I was not un checking the box that asks to start up previous applications. So I guess I was shutting down and not just resuming. At least I clicked on shut down???

I have never quite understood the whole troll thing. Why would someone that dislikes a certain company or product waste there time to come onto a board and spread there hate? Have they really got nothing better to do in life but spread the hate??? Get a life or a job trolls!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I was not un checking the box that asks to start up previous applications. So I guess I was shutting down and not just resuming. At least I clicked on shut down???

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but to clarify, by default on restart, Lion will reopen any applications you had open when you shut down the last time. That feature's called Resume. When you untick the tickbox, you tell Lion not to Resume on the next restart.

Quote:

I have never quite understood the whole troll thing. Why would someone that dislikes a certain company or product waste there time to come onto a board and spread there hate? Have they really got nothing better to do in life but spread the hate??? Get a life or a job trolls!

Paid by the companies whose products they support over Apple's. Quite staunch deniers of it when pressed, I'll tell you.