Google exec Marissa Mayer "really impressed" with Apple's AirPort WiFi base stations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Marissa Mayer, Google's Vice President of Location and Local Services, offered a glowing endorsement of Apple's AirPort wireless router products on her Google+ social network page, where she also notes that she uses multiple Apple TV in addition to Google's own set top boxes.

Mayer originally posted for advice last month on buying a new wireless router for her home use, noting that "it needs to have support for 20+ connections and good range in terms of distance."

Her Google+ follower Saravana Shanmuga advised "Netgear is worth and we can customize !! where apple is good we cant customize."

Today, Mayer reported that she had initially bought a replacement Netgear N600 wireless router from Walmart, but said "I had continued problems even with the new router, with range and devices getting conflicting IP [addresses]" among her wirelessly connected devices at home, which included "a bunch of phones, tablets, Tivos, Google TVs, Apple TVs, etc."

Mayer added, "So, for Christmas, I asked for an Airport Extreme and 2 Airport Expresses (to chain together and create a mesh with better range). I set them all up last night, got all the devices connecting, and so far so good. It's not really a fair comparison, since there are 3 routers to the Netgear's 1, but iStumbler showed a lot more signal strength throughout the house, rarely less than 45%."

Mayer concluded, "I was really impressed with Apple's Airport Utility and how simple it made the set-up and chaining of routers. Hard to make the experience of setting up of a home network beautiful, but at least it was easy. I kind of wish I had gotten a Time Capsule for backups, but I was pretty focused on getting a good router system. Plus, that's what DropBox is for."

Apple quietly updated its Airport Extreme and Time Capsule products last June without fanfare, increasing their output power up to 2.8 times for improved range and reception while switching to a new Broadcom chip shared by the 2011 MacBook Pro.

While NPD hasn't published recent market share figures for WiFi routers, but its last public figures from mid 2008 indicated Apple's share of the router market was 10.6 percent, larger than the Mac's share of PC sales at the time. Apple was reported to be in fourth place behind Cisco's Linksys brand, D-Link, and Netgear, which Mayer reported issues with, despite its reputed "customization" options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Great. Now we're going to have Google routers that are open to allow you to do what you want with it. They will give it to you for free, you just have to agree to let Google pilfer through every bit sent and received through it.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    I agree with Marissa, I went through about a dozen WLAN routers over the years -- and eventually got an Airport Extreme.. I was hooked, everything just worked and I stopped having issues. I'll never buy a non-Apple WLAN router ever again!

Good for her commenting on this .. I want to tear my eyes whenever I see WLAN router recommendation threads and people recommend non-Apple gear.. they do not know what they do not know.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    I couldn't be happier with my AirPort Extreme. It works extremely well.

Actually, there is one thing...QoS. With more and more people switching to VoIP, we need some way to keep voice traffic prioritized over everything else. And the AirPort Extreme doesn't allow for that.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    I just replaced an ageing 1TB TimeCapsule with a 2TB and it took seven clicks and seven keystrokes to have the new one up and running!

Seven clicks to save and then import the TM config file (the Airport config utility even remembered the path to where it was saved) and the seven keystrokes were re-entering the password.

All of the Macs on the network found the new hard drive and Time Machine kicked in automatically.

Highly recommended.

I just wish I could install Ubuntu on it... Damned walled garden!

• Reply 5 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Some people complain that you need an app to setup an Apple router; that the browser interface is good enough. It may be "good enough" but their AirPort Utility on Windows, Mac OS and iOS make is so much better, especially if you have multiple routers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Great. Now we're going to have Google routers that are open to allow you to do what you want with it. They will give it to you for free, you just have to agree to let Google pilfer through every bit sent and received through it.

Android OS is based on the open Linux and most consumer routers run on Linux. Would a vendor using Android be of much benefit over Linux? Is there anything in Android outside of the kernel they would need, assuming we're not talking about a router with a 4" touch display?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Srice View Post

I agree with Marissa, I went through about a dozen WLAN routers over the years -- and eventually got an Airport Extreme.. I was hooked, everything just worked and I stopped having issues. I'll never buy a non-Apple WLAN router ever again!

Good for her commenting on this .. I want to tear my eyes whenever I see WLAN router recommendation threads and people recommend non-Apple gear.. they do not know what they do not know.

They are the best and easiest consumer routers. The only problem is that even Apple's routers are feeling the strain of having so many 802.11 connected devices on a single network. We even have wall thermometers and bathroom scales with WiFi.

Sure, they can handle more than enough IP addresses but the processing data for multiple devices at once in a household seems to be bottlenecking at the processor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple use their ARM SoC/PoP designs based on an iOS(Darwin) in the future to help facilitate more devices running at optimal speeds.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Marissa Meyer's opinion is about as important as my Mother's when it comes to Technology.

• Reply 7 of 46
    The way to eliminate any wireless headaches is to go Apple Airport Extreme.

The way to reduce the cost is to start with an Apple Airport Extreme.

I wasted so much time and money trying different brands, configurations, settings, daily / weekly hard resets, always wishing I had an Apple. I though it was our internet service, or me. I finally broke down and got one six months ago, set it up in 6 minutes and it's been flawless.

There's even an iPhone App to manage everything (but it's so simple there's nothing to manage)

Fully Recommended, 100 out of 100, anybody who recommends anything else has not used both.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The only problem is that even Apple's routers are feeling the strain of having so many 802.11 connected devices on a single network.

It is starting to get pretty bad indeed. I can't even get straight answers as to why it is a problem, or if anything short of the Cisco approach to separate radios and controllers can handle 30+ devices.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have owned 4 or 5 different brand routers over the years. The Apple one has definitely been the most reliable, with extremely long uptimes.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Marissa Meyer's opinion is about as important as my Mother's when it comes to Technology.

So your mom has an M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford?

• Reply 11 of 46
    Is it really that important that some Google exec cares for Apple technology? Do we care to know this persons opinion? It's a given that Apple routers are some of the best. An endorsement from this woman isnt and shouldnt be the final say as if thats what we have been waiting for all these years. Sigh
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I bought a Time Capsule last year and just a month after it they released the updated models! Anyway, I have setup Time Capsule as my base station and I use an Airport Express to extend the network.

I am pretty happy with the setup, but Time Machine was a pain on the TC. I had automated backups for 4 months before I changed my Mac's name and then Time Machine would not read any of the backups on TC. I fiddled around a little and Time Machine recognised it and then promptly deleted all my backups and started anew!

Now I only use the TC as a network drive. I haven't been bold enough to try Time Machine again!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    She's gonna be bummed when the new expresses come out this year that allow for simultaneous dual band (instead of just dual band).

Seriously- I hope they come out with new expresses with that.

On another note- why does a vp of google ask for anything for Christmas. Just buy it when ya want. Lol
  • Reply 14 of 46
    I bought one of the square N (non flying saucer) airport extremes about 6 years ago, it is still in service and working perfectly, I normally have 10 devices connected to it throughout my house and have had no problems with low signal or discos in fact the signal is great I have devices connected as far away as a hundred feet, it switches between G/N as I have an older G4 powerbook on the network. Visitors connect effortlessly and I don't recall ever having to reset it. Highly recommended like most Mac products it just keeps ticking, I want to upgrade to a dual band newer model soon though so I can have dedicated N.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Wow, Marissa! You're so on top of technology! Only 10 years after the Airport routers are released do you actually get around to trying one!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Srice View Post

I used net gears for years & they've always been very reliable but had fewer features than others. My last netgear was an N capable router. I was bummed to find out at the time that since N was draft not all chipsets played nice together. I had various weird issues with certain devices but overall it still was a very solid router. After having that for a couple years I traded it for a linksys I could mod with ddwrt (at the time linksys out of the box had goofy DNS & I use opendns). I had lots of issues with the router & finally gave up on ddwrt & reluctantly went back to base firmware. Turns out the issues were with the router itself & I continued to have issues. Just so happens around this time I happened on an older N capable dual band AIrport Extreme (not simultaneous) for next to nothing. Jumped on it, got a 2TB USB drive & attached it to the USB port, now I run backups over the wifi to the USB drive & also host some shared storage. The range is incredible (by the way positioning near an outlet or copper pipe can boost the signal to areas of the house otherwise unreached) and the thing just works flawlessly. I will definitely be replacing it with another should it ever bite the dust.

Couple of side notes:

1) Linksys is garbage, if a sales person at the store ever recommends one to you run the other way cause they don't know the first thing about what they are trying to sell you.

2) whatever router you own & ISP you use make sure your router & modem are plugged into an APC/UPS, it will greatly extend the life of your devices and prevent those constant reboots you're probably always having to do. It is a battery backup, a 350VA & can be found at any Walmart or like an office maxx. It is NOT a surge strip, they are not the same. An added bonus is that when the power goes out during a storm I still have Internet for like 45min so I can keep up with the weather.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    I have to concur with this Googlee. I've owned many Netgear, Linksys, and D-Link networking productions, and Airport Extreme is hands down the best, most dependable wireless router I've ever owned. It just works.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

So your mom has an M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford?

not quite. Neurosurgeon from Stanford, MD.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

not quite. Neurosurgeon from Stanford, MD.

So... less relevant than the Google VP then?
  • Reply 20 of 46
    If you simply plug an external hard drive into an airport extreme, you can use it for wireless backups. I've never used a time capsule, so I can't say that it is just as easy, but it is definitely easy to set up.