Google exec Marissa Mayer "really impressed" with Apple's AirPort WiFi base stations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

So your mom has an M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford?

Trying to be cute and scathingly sarcastic at the same time but you failed.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought it was pretty good.

Marissa Meyer is a smart woman, don't see why anyone needs to be dismissive of her opinion, especially when it's a complimentary one.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

not quite. Neurosurgeon from Stanford, MD.

Okay. So her primary field of academic study does NOT deal with the topic at hand. Thanks for confirming that.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Mayer also has posted the odd Instagram pics using an iPhone 4. I guess, unlike Microsoft, it's not frowned upon at Google to *iDolize* the competition.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mayer added, "So, for Christmas, I asked for an Airport Extreme and 2 Airport Expresses"

How else could a multi-millionaire worth $300m get hold of those were it not for good ole Santa?

Still, she's easier on the eyes than Schmidt:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewhaji

Actually, there is one thing...QoS. With more and more people switching to VoIP, we need some way to keep voice traffic prioritized over everything else. And the AirPort Extreme doesn't allow for that.

I think all routers should be made with QoS, not just for VoIP but auto-prioritise all traffic. Some D-Link routers seem to have intelligent QoS, which auto-prioritises traffic based on type:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=548

That should be standard in all routers to prevent congestion.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I thought it was pretty good.

Marissa Meyer is a smart woman, don't see why anyone needs to be dismissive of her opinion, especially when it's a complimentary one.

That's true and a good point. But who cares for it to make a headline? Just because she has a title at Google, her opinion counts? Lets hear what Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong-un? My IT guy at work likes Apple, should I quote him?

I just dont know why it makes the news? Its like local TV news articles in the States, mostly pointless. I saw a article about a deer running in front of a police cruiser once. News?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Only surprised that someone of this stature in the industry had not tried the product sooner. It was like she did no research before any purchases of such devices in the past. Very upper management fixed thinking displayed.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...While NPD hasn't published recent market share figures for WiFi routers, but its last public figures from mid 2008 indicated Apple's share of the router market was 10.6 percent, larger than the Mac's share of PC sales at the time. Apple was reported to be in fourth place behind Cisco's Linksys brand, D-Link, and Netgear, which Mayer reported issues with, despite its reputed "customization" options.

I am sure Google has collected enough data with its Streetview fleet that it knows precisely what the market share statistics are for all the router brands.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    No, but she once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Great. Now we're going to have Google routers that are open to allow you to do what you want with it. They will give it to you for free, you just have to agree to let Google pilfer through every bit sent and received through it.

That is right after Google steals the design and the code from Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Like everyone else, I've tried most of the Linksys, and D-Link various models and end up with poor signals as well as disconnections issues. I just couldn't get anything reliable with one or the other.

Today, I've got the same setup described in her comment. Everything works flawlessly. No drops, great performance even with close to a dozen devices running more or less at the same time over the network.

Another perfect example of "it just works".
  • Reply 32 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

Just because she has a title at Google, her opinion counts? Lets hear what Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong-un?

In communist Korea, router shares you.

It is a common practice for journalists to talk about mundane things that recognised people do and I agree that it doesn't hold much weight. This case has slightly more strength than the usual 'Eva Longoria uses L'oreal so you should think about it' type of endorsement due to the fact that Marissa will rely on internet products for her important job but I'd put it in the same category. I wonder what shampoo she uses.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    On Amazon.com's hourly sales, the Airport Extreme continues to sell more than any Android tablet (Kindle Fire not included).
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Some people complain that you need an app to setup an Apple router; that the browser interface is good enough. It may be "good enough" but their AirPort Utility on Windows, Mac OS and iOS make is so much better, especially if you have multiple routers.

I totally agree with you, I've never understood that complaint. Surely a web browser is an app in itself? I know that especially with HTML 5 web pages seem to be increasingly like apps, but I've yet to see anything as good as a well written standalone application.

On the router front, I'm very happy with my Time Capsule, but it's the Airport Express that I'm most pleased with. I was looking for a way to get music to the aux port of my stereo, and thought that would be the simplest way, and boy was it. With the Apple setup application it was up and running in no time, and I love that all iDevices on my network see it and make it available to stream to. As with all things Apple, it's the end to end usability that makes it.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

That's true and a good point. But who cares for it to make a headline? Just because she has a title at Google, her opinion counts? Lets hear what Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong-un? My IT guy at work likes Apple, should I quote him?

I just dont know why it makes the news? Its like local TV news articles in the States, mostly pointless. I saw a article about a deer running in front of a police cruiser once. News?

Yes, because she is a high ranking and recognised personality in the world of technology, working for a major Apple competitor, her opinion, when it is of Apple's technology products is one that is worth reporting on. Not headline news of a broadsheet, but this is AppleInsider, not a broadsheet; this stuff is interesting to many and generates discussion.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Even our Mac allergic MIS guy uses Airport wifi in his facility. This guy religiously hates Macs, but loves the Airports. If only he could take that one extra step into the light.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    I just wish they'd build one with 8 LAN ports. But of course, Apple would never do such a thing. Form must always win over function.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I just wish they'd build one with 8 LAN ports. But of course, Apple would never do such a thing. Form must always win over function.

I think 8 is form over function. It needs at least 32 Ethernet ports. It's not like those ports cost more than a few cents each. (see what I did there?)
  • Reply 39 of 46
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banzai View Post

Like everyone else, I've tried most of the Linksys, and D-Link various models and end up with poor signals as well as disconnections issues. I just couldn't get anything reliable with one or the other....

Another perfect example of "it just works".

I'm also a happy Airport Extreme convert.

I definitely don't miss resetting my router every few weeks. Unplug, wait 30 seconds... plug in again
  • Reply 40 of 46
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

This complaint is ironic. It fixates on the form of the solution, wanting a single box instead of two boxes. It is cheaper, more reliable, and more expandable to use separate boxes for routing and switching. So who's fixated on form?