Apple's iMac accounts for 33% of all-in-one PC sales

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

While portable computers get the most attention and sales, all-in-one PCs have quietly become a booming market, and Apple's iMac accounts for nearly a third of all sales.

All-in-one desktop computer sales grew 39 percent in 2010 to reach 14.5 million units, research firm DisplaySearch revealed to Bloomberg. Among those desktop sales, Apple accounted for 32.9 percent, making it the single largest all-in-one PC maker in the world.

The iMac is Apple's all-in-one system and the company's strongest selling desktop, beating out the Mac mini and Mac Pro. In the company's previous quarter, portable Macs represented 74 percent of Mac sales, but desktop sales still hit a new record for Apple.

Apple's nearly 33 percent share of all-in-one desktops put it ahead of the No. 2 company, Lenovo. Coming in third with 21.4 percent was Hewlett-Packard, which plans to release a new pair of desktop PCs before next week's Consumer Electronics Show.

The HP Omni is an all-in-one desktop with a 27-inch screen meant for family use, and it will go on sale Jan. 8 starting at $1,200. It will be joined by a standard desktop geared at gamers, the Pavilion HPE h9 Phoenix, which starts at $1,150. Bloomberg said HP's decision to highlight new desktops as portables dominate the landscape is evidence that the Palo Alto, Calif., company hopes to "stand out from a flood of portable technology" at CES next week.

The all-in-one desktop market is expected to continue to grow. DisplaySearch believes that it could reach 23.3 million units by 2014.

While the iMac is performing stronger than ever for Apple, the company is said to be questioning the future of its more traditional "tower" desktop, the Mac Pro. AppleInsider was first to reveal in October that even though new CPU options are on the horizon, the company is considering axing the Mac Pro lineup and sparing the resources currently devoted to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    This is not suprising, at least to me. Although a tad on the expensive side in terms of their bottom end machine the 27" line offers superb value.

The design and materials used simply scream buy me!
  • Reply 2 of 91
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    While I like the look of the iMac, the all-in-one paradigm does not appeal to me. My next Mac will be a Mac Pro. I'll buy refurb or used if necessary.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no competition is this space. The iMac is it. 5 years out I no longer see Apple making a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    My Next PC :-D
  • Reply 5 of 91
    Matte screen, please !!

My dream desktop is a matte screen 27-inch iMac attached to 2 thunderbolt displays with matte screens, one on each side.

Are you listening, Sir Jony?
  • Reply 6 of 91
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    It would be a big mistake to drop the Pro line.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    No no no... This article is WRONG!

The 33% only goes to prove that all-in-ones are a failure. You see, Apple owns less than 10% of the world's market, and 33% of that is iMac, this proves that due to the LACK of Apple desktop options, Apple customers resort to an iMac.

Got it? Now go and change the article.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Matte screen, please !!

My dream desktop is a matte screen 27-inch iMac attached to 2 thunderbolt displays with matte screens, one on each side.

Are you listening, Sir Jony?

Remove the glass and there's your matte screen.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    urkelurkel Posts: 7member
    Anyone else surprised that the number is so low? I've never seen an all-in-one that WASN'T an iMac outside of a store so where the heck are the consumers who actually bought an HP AiO and how are those people taking nearly 60% market share from a form factor that Apple has been successful with for over a decade?

Anyway, these statistic articles that keep showing up on the apple gossip sites are always questionable because the researching firms are never well known or have a history for accuracy. And in this case I just don't buy the numbers.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

No no no... This article is WRONG!

The 33% only goes to prove that all-in-ones are a failure. You see, Apple owns less than 10% of the world's market and 33% of that is iMac, this proves that due to the LACK of desktop options, Apple customers end-up buying an iMac.

Got it? Now change the article.

Funny how you all let the true troll posters get under your skin (slapppy) and constantly respond to them yet the reasonable posters are thoroughly ignored. And some, like me, are deemed Apple hating trolls and ignored despite owning an iPad, working on a Mac and planning an iMac to replace my aging Windows PC. All because I don't always agree with Apple's patent assertions (moreso don't agree with the system itself) and don't feel like Schmidt was a super mole, don't feel Android is a copy of iOS (inspired =\\= copy) and don't think a thin black fronted rounded rectangle should be patentable.

Odd world here.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Odd world here.

OT - Welcome back.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    33% surprises me. I would have thought it was more like 80%. Not too long ago the iMac was basically the only credible AIO in the game.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

While I like the look of the iMac, the all-in-one paradigm does not appeal to me. My next Mac will be a Mac Pro. I'll buy refurb or used if necessary.

I'm curious why you don't like the all-in-one format. I see some shortcomings but went ahead and bought two for my kids, and they now never leave their desks.

Maybe it's me, I don't see the iMac and Mac Pro as alternatives of each other. Perhaps Mac Mini + Cinema Display v. iMac, but even that's a stretch. Apple seems to have small overlaps amongst their product lines, which is a good thing.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It would be a big mistake to drop the Pro line.

Agreed, to an extent. Calling it a big mistake may be taking it too far. Apple doesn't make too many *big* mistakes walking away from something.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

A MacBook Pro i7 plus an Apple monitor sitting waiting on your desk is a pretty sweet combo ... mobility by just yanking out the monitor connection and a work station when at your desk. As a long time Mac Pro user I find this a great compromise now I have scaled down.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

33% surprises me. I would have thought it was more like 80%. Not too long ago the iMac was basically the only credible AIO in the game.

That was my immediate reaction. What the heck is out there representing the other 66% ... iMac clones made by Dell et al I assume. More original innovation from the PC world eh?
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Agreed, to an extent. Calling it a big mistake may be taking it too far. Apple doesn't make too many *big* mistakes walking away from something.

I feel the Mac Pro line should be thought of in the same way the F1 is to production cars. Perhaps not profitable, certainly not mainstream but an R&D and prestige center.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    A headless iMac would be nice. Putting everything all together seems to be wasteful when it comes to desktops. The Mac Pro with its Xeon processor is an overkill.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    The original article is not that clear. They interchange "shipped" with "sales". Who knows WTF that means in the end.

All I can tell you is this, I'm going through a major home remodel, and I've been scouring 10's of 1000's of interior design photos on HOUZZ (web site and its awesome iPad app).

Guess which is the ONLY computer (desktop and laptop) featured in all the designer showrooms? Yep, the iMac (2007-2011).

IMHO, if you include the iLife software package, is no better value than the iMac.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

A headless iMac would be nice. Putting everything all together seems to be wasteful when it comes to desktops. The Mac Pro with its Xeon processor is an overkill.

If you really do a lot of video production and want to multi-task, use Photoshop while rendering 1080p video for example you wouldn't think it was over kill. While the MBP i7 is no slouch it grinds to a stand still if you try to do several things at once that require any horse power. Believe me I know I use both and keep expecting the MBP to be able to do what I take for granted on a Mac Pro, i.e. try to do something else as it renders only to see it turn into a toaster with its fan screaming and the render rate drop to far too long to wait. The Mac Pro doesn't even flicker under multi-tasking and when time is money that extra cost is paid for in a matter of weeks.