AT&T expands 4G LTE to 11 new markets including NYC, San Francisco, L.A.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fair probability of them becoming a state this year, so that might be part of it.

There's not a lot of regulation there. It's relatively easy to put up a cell site.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

I can't believe Seattle is still missing from the list.

There are much larger cities missing from the list....like Chicago and Philadelphia. But somehow Oklahoma City, San Diego, and Austin rate. I'm happy for them but confused at AT&T's "plan" here.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

There are much larger cities missing from the list....like Chicago and Philadelphia. But somehow Oklahoma City, San Diego, and Austin rate. I'm happy for them but confused at AT&T's "plan" here.

Likely AT&T went with the low hanging fruit, i.e., the cities and areas that were more open to allowing AT&T build their sites. The cities you mention are notoriously difficult.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Aren't you the same guy that bragged about AT&T's theoretical max speed of 14.4Mbps while feeling sorry for us poor Verizon and Sprint iPhone users as we hobbled along? Of course you had about 20,000 or more post at that time. What happened? Did they delete your account for your always polite, respectful, and informative posts?

If you want to use WiFi as an analogy to LTE, then LTE-Advanced would be like WiFI-N and and Verizon's current LTE would be like WiFi-B. Sure there will always be bottlenecks, and the most important one will always be the backhaul to the actual tower and the number of users.

AT&T's theoretical max speed is based on their current implementation of LTE. If you are referring to their '3G' speeds it's based on their current implementation of HSPA or HSPA+ which far exceeds 14.4Mbps. If you are referring to the iPhone 4S it was a theoretical max speed of 14.4Mbps but it not HSPA+. If you are referring to what US cellular network has the fastest iPhone download speed then that would be AT&T. This is not up for debate!

And in regards to my comment to jd_in_sb I was pointing out that regardless of what the towers will push with faster data rates these handheld devices will still be far behind in being able to handle the load. That does not, in any way, state that Sprint's iPhone with EV-DO Rev. A is faster in maximum real world tests than AT&T's iPhone with Category 10 HSDPA. It was your inability to understand the content that made you think that a theoretical maximum was possible in the real world. I welcome you to join the real world more often. It's not such a bad place.

BTW, my example was not an analogy.

PS: It's funny how people only want to consider downlink speeds and never uplink or latency. I even hear people claim that LTE-Advanced is 100MBps as if that is or was ever the definition.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quick! What's the largest city in California that doesn't have a Spanish name?

wait for it...

Oakland.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Quick! What's the largest city in California that doesn't have a Spanish name?

wait for it...

Oakland.

From Wikipedia...
    The original settlement in what is now the downtown was initially called "Contra Costa" ("opposite shore", the Spanish name for the lands on the east side of the Bay) and was included in Contra Costa County before Alameda County was established on March 25, 1853.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Some cities may be currently under served and need immediate expansion so it makes sense to upgrade to the latest technology at this time. Other factors may be acquisitions or partnerships with small regional cell providers requiring standardization which again would make it logical to upgrade to the latest technology since you have spend money on infrastructure anyway. I think Puerto Rico falls in this category.

The fact that they seem to be on a rapid deployment schedule means that they apparently plan to have the network fully supporting LTE as quickly as possible. The 700 mHz spectrum should really improve the signal inside buildings so I am looking forward to that. Keep in mind that LTE is data only right now, so voice call signal quality will remain unchanged. I'm not sure if AT&T voice calls are supported on HSPA+ or just HSPA. I assume they are, on hardware that allows it.

Since I just got a 4G HSPA+ capable AirCard, I can definitely feel the difference between the data speeds of the slower iPhone which is only 3G and the faster HPSA+ 4G. Seems about twice as fast.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Believe me. If the carriers could blanket the nation, even the world, with cell sites, they would. Typically city and county governments do NOT like cell sites in their right-of-way. Add the tin foil hat crowd and you have the perfect storm of resistance. It can take years before a carrier or tower company gets approval to construct a badly needed site.

Another factor in play is that the carriers view the cell site as revenue source. They typically calculate how much they are gaining in subscriber revenue per site. If the costs of putting one up and maintaining it outweigh the money coming in, they'll think very hard before putting one up. That's why you rarely see them in rural areas where there aren't a lot of users.

So what's the solution? Scream loudly to both your city and county governments and planning commissions that you want your cell site. Then scream loudly to your carrier that you want your cell site. That is all.

That could well be, but Verizon has LTE coverage in Seattle-Tacoma/Olympia/Spokane in WA state already, so it's not like the city/county gov. are the only problems.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From Wikipedia...
    The original settlement in what is now the downtown was initially called "Contra Costa" ("opposite shore", the Spanish name for the lands on the east side of the Bay) and was included in Contra Costa County before Alameda County was established on March 25, 1853.

LOL, thank God for people like you here to enlighten us imbeciles. So just out of curiosity, what will your next name be after this account gets deleted? Solipism-Y or X.2? Can you ever just let any comment go without dissecting it and arguing over every minutiae down to the molecular level? Forums are meant for discussions and debates, but you really need to try and be less like Newt Gingrich when making your points. Take it down a notch or two. All I pointed out was that AT&T and Sprint were using LTE-Advanced and Verizon isn't at the moment, but probably will in the future. Relax
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

LOL, thank God for people like you here to enlighten us imbeciles. So just out of curiosity, what will your next name be after this account gets deleted? Solipism-Y or X.2? Can you ever just let any comment go without dissecting it and arguing over every minutiae down to the molecular level? Forums are meant for discussions and debates, but you really need to try and be less like Newt Gingrich when making your points. Take it down a notch or two. All I pointed out was that AT&T and Sprint were using LTE-Advanced and Verizon isn't at the moment, but probably will in the future. Relax

Someone has sand in their vagina today.

Why would I just let SockRolid comment "go"? He made an interesting factual statement that I wanted to know more about. If you are uninterested in his trivia or not curious how a port side city in California could not have a Spanish name then maybe your self declared title as imbecile is well deserved. I was curious to know more so I did a whole 5 seconds of research to find out why which I then posted to this forum to compliment SockRolid's interesting trivia.

You keep mentioning my account getting deleted. A simple Google search would tell you it's not deleted. A little more research or a simple inquiry would present you with the full details as to why I choose to change my username, but since you consider 5 seconds of research to be "dissecting over every minutiae down to the molecular level" I can't imagine you'd consider your grey matter to work out these simple details.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Someone has sand in their vagina today.

Why would I just let SockRolid comment "go"? He made an interesting factual statement that I wanted to know more about. If you are uninterested in his trivia or not curious how a port side city in California could not have a Spanish name then maybe your self declared title as imbecile is well deserved. I was curious to know more so I did a whole 5 seconds of research to find out why which I then posted to this forum to compliment SockRolid's interesting trivia.

You keep mentioning my account getting deleted. A simple Google search would tell you it's not deleted. A little more research or a simple inquiry would present you with the full details as to why I choose to change my username, but since you consider 5 seconds of research to be "dissecting over every minutiae down to the molecular level" I can't imagine you'd consider your grey matter to work out these simple details.

I don't care whether it was deleted or not. I am sure you will get back to your 25,000 post count in no time at all. I have also observed that your posts are often replete with condescending and snide remarks and wouldn't be surprised if the moderators felt you had crossed the line one too many times. So carry on Newt and post away.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

I don't care whether it was deleted or not. I am sure you will get back to your 25,000 post count in no time at all. I have also observed that your posts are often replete with condescending and snide remarks and wouldn't be surprised if the moderators felt you had crossed the line one too many times. So carry on Newt and post away.

Says the kid posting personal attacks....

PS: You clearly do care because you keep mentioning it being deleted instead of actually inquiring as to why it is no longer in use. On top of that it shows that you prefer to come to conclusions without any factual data to back them up which makes you participation on any forum pretty much pointless.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

AT&T had already launched LTE in Chicago in mid-2011.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Sprint will be deploying LTE this year, too, so by fall the 6th gen iPhone could possibly be called iPhone LTE... or least a chunk of Sprint's user base won't be left out.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure Solipsism's posts are the main component of any inherent value in these forums. His posts are typically substantive and well thought out. Yours, on the other hand...
  • Reply 36 of 43
    I would say that Raleigh is included because of the Apple data center, but that is a 3 hour drive away. Raleigh being the state capital, having a population of ~2 million, and being part of the 'research triange', that includes the research universities of NC State University, Duke University, and UNC-Chapel Hill are all pretty sound reasons to me.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    This will be great with my LTE iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not sure if AT&T voice calls are supported on HSPA+ or just HSPA. I assume they are, on hardware that allows it.

Since I just got a 4G HSPA+ capable AirCard, I can definitely feel the difference between the data speeds of the slower iPhone which is only 3G and the faster HPSA+ 4G. Seems about twice as fast.

The 3G voice protocol is called UTMS regardless of whether the data services are being provided by HSPA or HSPA+.

All of today HSPA+ chipsets are backwards compatible and have support for 2G GSM & GPRS/EDGE data, as well as 3G UTMS & HSPA data.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fair probability of them becoming a state this year, so that might be part of it.

Why is that?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

AT&T had already launched LTE in Chicago in mid-2011.

So that leaves Philly as the only city in the top 10 in population in the U.S. that AT&T has not rolled LTE out in. Guess where I live?

(Jacksonville, at #11, is the next largest city with no LTE love.)