Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

No doubt!!!
  • Reply 42 of 107
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    And my projection for 2012 is a minor upgraded iPad2s with retina display and a lower priced iPad 2 in March. Followed by full blown upgraded iPad3 with a bazillion cores in October.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I wouldn't put any stock in that rumor. What nonsense.

I expect only an iPad 3 in 2012, and my guess would be some time in July or later.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    iPad 2s then iPad 3.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

They really just need to create an AppleInsider Jr. site and limit participation here to anyone of driving age or older.

Nah, to make a real difference, the entry age limit here would have to be higher, maybe 25 years old (the age at which most rental car agencies will let you have a car).
  • Reply 46 of 107
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Trolls and shills, but only because they're allowed to.

AI would gain considerable respectability both by ignoring Digitimes rumors, and by simply banning a) people who's only point in posting is to say, "I knew this was a DED article from the headline," b) obvious trolls like the current ... (seriously, what exactly is the point of not banning him?) and c) equally obvious shills like ..... (I mean, I know he has to make a living, but not here, with his constant stream of innuendo, misinformation and outright lies).

Eventually, every forum goes into a death spiral when these people are allowed to poison it.

Tech Web sites and their comment sections as spin machines for the industry's 'dire straight' competition; that's what it comes down to. In fact, it's no different than those large surface stores with their sale personnel pushing one brand over the other through a 'commission-based' sales strategy.

You can't trust Web sites information content no more than you can trust salespersons to tell the unadulterated facts and figures about your options as a consumer. The whole industry is spinning out of control into wishful thinking-like fiction, for lack of creative alternative to Apple streaking successes.

The truth is that the creative application of 'mobile' has developed over time into an Apple monopoly. All that is left to profit from,*lumps into a pseudo-creative Hedonistic compact, a simulation of what ought to have evolved in the first place into fair, equal-opportunity type competition. And has not ...through the upheaval brought about by a man's ...unadulterated vision...

The obnoxious noise comes with the lonesomeness of inhabiting a monopolistic territory. Slightly more bearable ...if better understated.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    At some point, I'd like to see a larger screen iPad -- say 15" or 17" with a more granular touch surface to support an optional stylus.

I just fired up my 2003 17" AluBook -- and the iPad 2 outperforms it in most ways.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That will be followed by an "iPad 4" with "killer applications" set to launch in October.

This would not even make sense. So the iPad 3 will be a major upgrade with Retina Display but supposedly an iPad 4 will be released later this year with "killer applications"? The App Store is where all the killer apps are really at.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Fine...but don't call me Summarily!

Shirley you jest.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Shirley you jest.

"Siri, you jest."

*ding-ding*

"I don't. And don't call me Siri."
  • Reply 51 of 107
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I think it is possible to release two iPad's this year, but only if the LTE version is not ready for a March or April release because the LTE chipset is delayed. However, it would not be an iPad 4 with all new specs, but just the iPad 3 with LTE added. That would at least make sense. They probably don't want to delay the iPad 3 too long and might release it before LTE is fully cooked.

But an iPad 3 and completely revamped iPad 4 just 6 months apart? lunacy
  • Reply 52 of 107
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

2. Other than processor and retina screen res, doesn't sound like a big improvement over iPad 2 (but I have iPad 1 where its a big jump).

6. Longer term it would seem to me a fall replacement calender is nice as it maximizes holiday sales and older models are ripe for back to schools sales in August/September before a new one comes in. But if you do that for all products it may put too much pressure on teams within the company and partners to have so many fall launches.

2) I fully anticipate the back camera will be improving to at least the level of the iPhone 4's 5MP (altho if they paired that 5MP w/the sensor from the 4S or just gave us the 4S camera, I wouldn't complain) and there have been some rumors stating a better front facing camera too. Those would be very nice. Now add in the possibility of more RAM and possibly more storage space and it will be well worth the cost difference between a 2 and a 3.

6) Early Spring update allows you to have some things for people to look forward to throughout the year, plus they need to keep all their quarters good. Spring also allows for some slippage space. If you aim for a late Oct/early Nov release on important items and you have to push back at all, you may well miss the big holiday season. Most people don't pay attention to Apple's product cycle and find out about new products when they show up in a store. Informed users will wait the extra couple of months if they feel it will be a big enough jump, and most people posting on AI fall into that category, but we are certainly not the majority.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

Amen to that! I just woke up, grabbed my iPhone from my night stand and read the article. What a load of crap.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    Thanks everyone!

Apple Insider has been my favourite Apple news site for a while, and half of the enjoyment is reading the comments section after every article.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I give up! I hope the Mayans are right.

Thanks for the laugh!
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Siri, you jest."

*ding-ding*

"I don't. And don't call me Siri."

Get Siri OS....
  • Reply 57 of 107
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I swear these "rumors" are just all BS. This was the same rumor as last year around this time. Just replace iPad3 with iPad2 and replace iPad4 with iPad3.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Get Siri OS....

Speaking of Siri, check this out: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/26/siri-...ying-overhead/
  • Reply 59 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've said it before, but there should be some sort of criminal penalty for starting a false rumor which turns out to be fake. Possible motives can be financial fraud, illegal stock manipulation and planting false information from competitors in order to confuse certain naive customers.

Whoever claimed that an iPad 3 was due to be released in the fall of 2011 should have charges filed against them, because we all know how that bullshit and braindead rumor turned out. And there were actually some people on this site that believed in that bullshit rumor and they even argued why it would be a good idea and why it would make sense.

Some tech sites (digitimes) are worse than tabloids like the National Enquirer.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of Siri, check this out: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/26/siri-...ying-overhead/

Ha!

It works for satellites too...

So, naturally, I asked Siri: "Wolfram registered sex offenders in the area".

Siri got all flustered and repeatedly asked if She could do a web search -- even as I kept replying "yes".