Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph Kool View Post

You guys are gonna line up like gerbils looking for a pellet everytime Apple releases a new phone or tablet and there's nothing you can do about it because Apple marketing owns you. You just have to have the latest Apple gear or you feel inadequate because you're insecure people who think cheap gadgets make you special.

Yeah, you're really gonna fit in well here.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, you're really gonna fit in well here.

deleted
  • Reply 83 of 107
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I'd expect the iPad 3 to be this year's only iPad. And I'd also expect iOS 6 to have some killer apps.

Apple should release this year's iPad with iOS 5.1 initially. Then they should release the next-gen

iOS in the fall, as always, to give developers time to update their apps to use new APIs and features

after WWDC. The combination of high-res quad-core iPad 3 plus iOS 6 should prove to be an

enormous leap ahead in terms of power, features, and "experience." That's all Apple needs to do.

All very valid and thought out.

Quote:

And think of it this way. If Apple ships an iPad 3 early in the year, then an improved iPad 4 later

in the year, it will "train" consumers to ignore the early 2013 iPad. They'll be expecting a better

iPad in late 2013, so they'll hold off on buying the "early one." This would be terrible for Apple,

especially if they don't release two iPads in 2013. Consumers would hold off on buying the

early 2013 iPad and wait for the later, better 2013 model that will never arrive.

Again, well though out.

Quote:

And / or maybe by releasing a late-2012 iPad 4, Apple

could shift their iPad release schedule to fall every year. They could keep the iPhone release

in summer, freeing up spring.

Which would mean having to either release two iPhones in one year (unlikely) or wait 16-18 months for the next one. And we saw the negative PR that came out the last time they did that.

Seems pretty likely that they are going with

WWDC in June. --Announce the new iOS

Sept/Oct -- The release the new iPods and iPhones

the next March to May -- the new iPad.

this way they spread the devices out a bit. Also, given the rise in iPad use in schools, they could even end up adding a small discount during the Back to School promotion. Introducing the new iPad right before that launch, would avoid tons of pissed off parents that bought their kids the iPad 2 and then a better one came out (rather like the negative talk of using the students to burn off inventory for iPods).

The Apple television set. If Apple does commit to building their own TV set, they will give it several

months in the marketing spotlight every year. When Apple released the first iPad, it got nearly

6 months of home page exposure on Apple.com. Before and after its initial availability.

The TV set would merit the same focus. It would have most of the year to gain mindshare before

the crucial holiday / Super Bowl season. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 84 of 107
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

You guys are gonna line up like gerbils looking for a pellet everytime Apple releases a new phone or tablet and there's nothing you can do about it because Apple marketing owns you. You just have to have the latest Apple gear or you feel inadequate because you're insecure people who think cheap gadgets make you special.

You came here. Signed up to post etc.

What does that say about you.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

PENiS... acronym left to the reader... (Looking for help, here!)

I once tried setting my password to penis, the site said it was too short.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Ok, I don't mind driving everybody crazy here with their least favorite topic, and my favorite one.

It's obvious to me that the second, later iPad with the great native apps is not LTE, but 3D.

Sooner or later, Apple has to do a 3D screen, and the handheld iPad is an ideal form for it. Recall how Steve loved the movie "Up," and used it in a presentation or two. How lame that he couldn't say, wait till you see this on our Retina iPad screen the way it was meant to be seen (by all those with two working eyes, that is -- sorry F1Ferrari and others with dodgy stereo vision.)

Of course, the supply chain contacts for poor beleagured DigiTimes could be off a bit about the timing.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ok, I don't mind driving everybody crazy here with their least favorite topic, and my favorite one.

It's obvious to me that the second, later iPad with the great native apps is not LTE, but 3D.

Sooner or later, Apple has to do a 3D screen, and the handheld iPad is an ideal form for it. Recall how Steve loved the movie "Up," and used it in a presentation or two. How lame that he couldn't say, wait till you see this on our Retina iPad screen the way it was meant to be seen (by all those with two working eyes, that is -- sorry FerrariF1 and others with dodgy stereo vision.)

I'm going with later. There is no evidence that a 10" 2048x1536 3D display would be practical in any sense.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm going with later. There is no evidence that a 10" 2038x1536 3D display would be practical in any sense.

I don't see Apple ever adopting 3D displays, no exceptions. I'd like to state, though, that the only type of 3D display that seems to fit into Apple's mindset are the autostereoscopic ones. And those aren't anywhere near production at that size or resolution.
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

With all the talk on this thread about the "new" trolls that are ruining everything for the rest of us and how the site has gone downhill etc., I'd like to point a finger at Dick here.

He's been on this site forever and insists on publishing his ridiculous reactionary political views every week or so without fail. I get that you are an arch conservative Mr. Applebaum. I get that you like Fox news and everything they say and that you think the world is coming to an end and that kids today are awful and nothing is like it used to be when you were a little kid in 1920 or whatever, but your posts are insulting and worse than the worst of the "trolls" if you ask me.

I just want to point out that here is a person who rarely if ever violates the "rules" (such as they are) of this forum but is still equally if not more annoying and insulting than the so-called "trolls." Politics (especially American politics) have no place on a forum like this IMO.

Please consider keeping your radical opinions to yourself or perhaps only bringing them out when they are at least somewhat relevant. Politics had nothing to do with this thread until you arrived.

I knew I'd catch he'll for that!

But, in my own defense:

-- I try to avoid the political, religious, racial/ethnic issues on web forums

-- I do take responsibility for what I post

-- I do try to correct wrong or offensive posts

-- I do reserve the right to express my opinion

I post using my real name rather than hide behind an alias as is the norm.

FWIW, I updated the post that another found offensive.

Finally, if you will be so good as to point out other offensive posts I wlii gladly remove them...

Quote:

He's been on this site forever and insists on publishing his ridiculous reactionary political views every week or so without fail. I get that you are an arch conservative Mr. Applebaum.

• Reply 90 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I once tried setting my password to penis, the site said it was too short.

Quote:

But, in my own defense:

I often disagree with your opinions but I don't find you annoying, trollish, fervently jacking threads, or pushing some political agenda. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention but I had no idea you were a conservative or watched FOX news (though they do have the sexiest news anchors).
  • Reply 91 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I often disagree with your opinions but I don't find you annoying, trollish, fervently jacking threads, or pushing some political agenda. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention but I had no idea you were a conservative or watched FOX news (though they do have the sexiest news anchors).

You think that Shep is sexy

Hottie Tot!
  • Reply 92 of 107
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Such as?

Pwned!
  • Reply 93 of 107
    Just no.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

With all the talk on this thread about the "new" trolls that are ruining everything for the rest of us and how the site has gone downhill etc., I'd like to point a finger at Dick here.

He's been on this site forever and insists on publishing his ridiculous reactionary political views every week or so without fail. I get that you are an arch conservative Mr. Applebaum. I get that you like Fox news and everything they say and that you think the world is coming to an end and that kids today are awful and nothing is like it used to be when you were a little kid in 1920 or whatever, but your posts are insulting and worse than the worst of the "trolls" if you ask me.

I just want to point out that here is a person who rarely if ever violates the "rules" (such as they are) of this forum but is still equally if not more annoying and insulting than the so-called "trolls." Politics (especially American politics) have no place on a forum like this IMO.

Please consider keeping your radical opinions to yourself or perhaps only bringing them out when they are at least somewhat relevant. Politics had nothing to do with this thread until you arrived.

Quote:

But, in my own defense:

FWIW, I updated the post that another found offensive.

Finally, if you will be so good as to point out other offensive posts I wlii gladly remove them...

Wow there, Dr. Peabody. To me, that reads as you are coming onto someone, quite strongly. I love this site because of the sharing, the background info people provide. I think Dick Appelbaum shares well-reasoned ideas and thoughts. Not everyone keeps everything within the bounderies of the forum rules. Yet, if Dick used politics to make a point clear, just for comparison, I think it still relevant. I know, if I'd ask you to link us to a specific post from Dick with something you disapprove of it'd be too much to ask, since searching is never fun. So I'm not asking that, I just want to say that by pointing your finger at someone you yourself are doing what you dislike from others as well. That to me, does not add up.

Of course I could've replied to the both of you in a personal message, yet I believe I should share my opinion as well. I think my opinion here is founded, reasoned. And if not, I'd really like people to tell me it is not, and give me a solid reason. That creates a discussion. To me, that is better than to point a finger at someone.

Again, even if you disagree with someones' thoughts and opinions I would have expected your post way more laid-back, way more 'personally, I think that …'. But with your "Please consider keeping your radical opinions to yourself or perhaps only bringing them out when they are at least somewhat relevant. Politics had nothing to do with this thread until you arrived" you are lowering yourself to the degree of someone that you disapprove of in the first place.

I'm Dutch, not American and possibly have likely a different way of seeing things. Very likely. I never thought you would post something like this. As a matter of fact, it doesn't suit you. Because I think you share well-reasoned opinions as well.

The only piece I want from people on this forum is there mind, not crap. Maybe that's harsh, but I want to make my point clear.

Philippe
  • Reply 95 of 107
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Quote:

deleted

Case in point, he obviously signed up just to troll, why bother deleting his post without banning him?
  • Reply 96 of 107
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    duplicate post, server issues
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Case in point, he obviously signed up just to troll, why bother deleting his post without banning him?

Wow, that's weird. Okay, apparently I had a dream last night that he kept posting beyond the three he has with the generic spam you see on this site when I'm not fast enough.

I remember (dream-)thinking to myself, "Okay, well, if he wants banned that badly…"

But that was just a dream, I guess. Weird.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

Completely agree. It's completely ridiculous of AI to even repost this.
  • Reply 99 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow there, Dr. Peabody. To me, that reads as you are coming onto someone, quite strongly. I love this site because of the sharing, the background info people provide. I think Dick Appelbaum shares well-reasoned ideas and thoughts. Not everyone keeps everything within the bounderies of the forum rules. Yet, if Dick used politics to make a point clear, just for comparison, I think it still relevant. I know, if I'd ask you to link us to a specific post from Dick with something you disapprove of it'd be too much to ask, since searching is never fun. So I'm not asking that, I just want to say that by pointing your finger at someone you yourself are doing what you dislike from others as well. That to me, does not add up.

Of course I could've replied to the both of you in a personal message, yet I believe I should share my opinion as well. I think my opinion here is founded, reasoned. And if not, I'd really like people to tell me it is not, and give me a solid reason. That creates a discussion. To me, that is better than to point a finger at someone.

Again, even if you disagree with someones' thoughts and opinions I would have expected your post way more laid-back, way more 'personally, I think that ?'. But with your "Please consider keeping your radical opinions to yourself or perhaps only bringing them out when they are at least somewhat relevant. Politics had nothing to do with this thread until you arrived" you are lowering yourself to the degree of someone that you disapprove of in the first place.

I'm Dutch, not American and possibly have likely a different way of seeing things. Very likely. I never thought you would post something like this. As a matter of fact, it doesn't suit you. Because I think you share well-reasoned opinions as well.

The only piece I want from people on this forum is there mind, not crap. Maybe that's harsh, but I want to make my point clear.

Philippe

I think what may have nettled Prof. Peabody is that, several times, I responded to a post of his referring to him as "PP". AIR, I was [mostly] agreeing with him but used "PP" (peepee) to inject a little light-hearted humor.

I apologize to Prof. Peabody if that offended him.

I too appreciate reasoned discussions -- especially those which present conflicting points of view.

I also enjoy good humor -- what makes you laugh, gets you through the day!
  • Reply 100 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    For the rare person here who's interested in 3D glasses-free displays in tablet and laptop sizes, some links:

LG's A540 laptop, 15", will be glasses free: http://lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/contents/61740

MasterImage introduces a 10.1 tablet screen: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/7/268...splay-ces-2012