Rumored March launch of high-res 'iPad 3' portrayed as 'completely accurate'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Rumors of a March launch for Apple's third-generation iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display have been deemed "completely accurate," though a claim that Apple will launch an "iPad 4" this October was written off as "completely made-up nonsense."

John Gruber of Daring Fireball issued a response on Friday to a new report from DigiTimes that gained attention earlier in the day. That report from the Taiwan-based publication said that Apple will ship a third-generation iPad in March with a high-definition display.

"Wait a minute. What's going on here?" Gruber responded sarcastically. "A DigiTimes report about Apple and the iPad that's completely accurate? No completely made-up nonsense? Is something wrong with me?"

He then went on to quote the portion of the article that said an "iPad 4" with "killer applications" will arrive in October. To that he responded, "OK, phew, what a relief."

Though the post was tongue-in-cheek, Gruber seemingly does use it to confirm a March launch of the next iPad, consistent with the timeframe of the the iPad 2 launch in 2011. He has also said on previous occasions that he believes the next iPad will sport a high-resolution Retina Display. Gruber is well-connected and has a reliable track record on Apple predictions.

Separately, Gruber took a few guesses at what Apple might do in 2012 for Macworld. There he suggested that Apple's Retina Display branding would only apply to new high-end models.

"I think Apple will continue selling the existing iPad 2 alongside the new ones, or introduce a new lower-end model that still sports today's 1024-by 768-pixel screen, simply because I think the retina-display iPad will be a bit expensive," he said. "I think the new iPad models will use the same screen size as today's -- no 7-inch model."

As for the next iPhone, Gruber believes it will be a completely redesigned model that will arrive in late 2012, like the iPhone 4S. He doesn't expect that the new iPhone will have a larger display, but he does see Apple including an even better camera than is in the iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    You don't need any connections or contacts at Apple to guess that the next iPad will arrive about a year after the last one or to predict that the resolution will increase. You could also extrapolate that it will have probably have better cameras, Siri, faster CPU and GPU as well. duh...

As to his last prediction, I would be shocked if the next iPhone doesn't have larger than a 3.5" screen. No, Apple won't make a 4.65" monstrosity, but certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    These analysts have completely no idea.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You don't need any connections to guess that the next iPad will arrive about a year after the last one or to see that the resolution will increase. You could also extrapolate that it will have better cameras, CPU and GPU as well. duh...

As to his last prediction, I would be shocked if the next iPhone doesn't have larger than a 3.5" screen. No, Apple won't make a 4.65" monstrosity, but certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.

As long as it will slip into my pocket and not break when I sit I am happy. My Brother's Galaxy S broke on his second time of sitting, but the damn thing is way to big and too tight in the pocket. Yes, we are a family divided. LOL
  • Reply 4 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    When even the analysts are making fun of analysts, you know something's wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

As long as it will slip into my pocket and not break when I sit I am happy. My Brother's Galaxy S broke on his second time of sitting, but the damn thing is way to big and too tight in the pocket. Yes, we are a family divided. LOL

Tell him the 80's are over and to stop wearing skin tight jeans.

Personally I would love a 4.6" iPhone and don't find them too big at all. I know I might be in the minority on this forum, but my best friend has the Galaxy SII Epic Touch with a 4.65" screen and it fits in my pocket fine. Not really that much bigger than my iPhone. But Apple is not stupid and realize that 3.5" seemed huge 5 years ago but now it might be time to make the screen a tad larger.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Wait.. Didn't Gruber said the exact same thing last year? (iPad in March and iPad Pro in Oct).

I think he just realized how silly that sounded. The truth is Apple will only release one major iPhone update and one major iPad update every year.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Quote:

Personally I would love a 4.6" iPhone and don't find them too big at all.

I ask because they don't let us actually use them in the stores, but is it even possible to use a 'phone' like that with one hand?

Quote:

But Apple is not stupid and realize that 3.5" seemed huge 5 years ago but now it might be time to make the screen a tad larger.

Which is why they had 3G on the first iPhone and added LTE the second other companies started including it.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:

I like how a mere half-inch separates reasonable from "monstrosity."
  • Reply 9 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Personally I would love a 4.6" iPhone and don't find them too big at all. I know I might be in the minority on this forum, but my best friend has the Galaxy SII Epic Touch with a 4.65" screen and it fits in my pocket fine. Not really that much bigger than my iPhone. But Apple is not stupid and realize that 3.5" seemed huge 5 years ago but now it might be time to make the screen a tad larger.

You've ignored the different aspect ratios being used. A 4.6" iPhone would be considerably wider than a 4.65" Galaxy which is already too large for the average to use in one hand using a standard thumb radius.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    There won't be an iPad 4 released this year. Apple has no need to release another major version that soon. They could release tweaks later (e.g. one with LTE support inside) but that does not qualify for a major revision number on its own.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

For a phone, it quite easily can.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Are you serious??

a 1/2 inch is extremely significant in the palm of a hand.

We're talking about a cell phone; not a building.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

These analysts have completely no idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When even the analysts are making fun of analysts, you know something's wrong.

Gruber isn't an analyst, people. He's a blogger.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:

I said that very tongue in cheek since a lot of people here have used that term. As I said, I would love a larger screen. I know Apple doesn't blindly copy or follow trends, but I think that is a natural progression. I didn't really have any problems using the SII epic touch with one hand and I have pretty average sized hands. I had an Evo before which is slightly smaller with 4.3" but I really miss the screen size. That really is the only thing I really miss now that I have the iPhone 4S.

We are a long ways off from from the next iPhone though so no need to even worry about it for the time being.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    for the statistical majority of people: if you hold the iPhone in the palm of your hand you can comfortably reach the opposite corner of the touchscreen with your thumb. this is HUGE from a useability standpoint. try clicking a button in that corner on a 4.6" screen - you'll have to reposition the phone in your hand. This FORCED change in how you have to hold the device in order to operate it is incredibly subtle to some, but to Apple designers it's a major nuisance and a design failure.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Quote:

...certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.

"Plausible" how? How will apps scale to a larger screen without needing to be re-written?

"Likely" how? Likely as in, they've refused to make a larger iPhone in 5 years, with absolutely no detrimental effect on sales? So now all of a sudden they're gonna make it bigger?
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Wait.. Didn't Gruber said the exact same thing last year? (iPad in March and iPad Pro in Oct).

I think he just realized how silly that sounded. The truth is Apple will only release one major iPhone update and one major iPad update every year.

Totally agree. Apple realizes they only have to release what they absolutely have to. They are already so far ahead of the competition as it is now. The realize they should milk each product as much as they can to create the greatest return on their investment.

Also, they need not counter the Kindle except by lowering the price of the existing iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out. And, that's about as far as they'll go in terms of trying to compete with the Kindle. Fact is they realize they don't have to own the entire market nor do they want to if it means compromising on their position in the marketplace.

As for the iPhone, it is clear how the phone could be improved (better cameras, thinner, LTE, NFC, etc). Whether they do or not depends on what they feel they can implement the way they want to (which is why LTE has not been implemented yet) and what they need to do to keep their phones selling like crazy (but not necessarily keeping their phones competitive in all features just for the sake of staying competitive).

As for a larger screen, one will only see this within the confines of the existing form-fractor of the phone. The beauty of the iPhone is that you can touch all areas of the screen with the fingers of the hand you are holding it in. Steve Jobs was adamant about this being the case and it makes so much sense. This means edge to edge and perhaps to incorporate a toch sensitive home key is the largest screen you are going to see. But, this may not even happen as it will require developers to create different versions of their software. So, you can be sure Apple will think long and hard about this before they implement it.

Apple is not stupid and nothing they do is a knee-jerk reaction.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The iPad 4 rumor in 2012 makes as much sense as Gruber's iPad 3 prediction, which was supposed to happen in the fall of 2011. Both predictions and rumors were and are equally retarded.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I still put no stock in the Retina display on iPad3. Makes no sense from a manufacturing or competitive standpoint.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

for the statistical majority of people: if you hold the iPhone in the palm of your hand you can comfortably reach the opposite corner of the touchscreen with your thumb. this is HUGE from a useability standpoint. try clicking a button in that corner on a 4.6" screen - you'll have to reposition the phone in your hand. This FORCED change in how you have to hold the device in order to operate it is incredibly subtle to some, but to Apple designers it's a major nuisance and a design failure.

Maybe so but do people hold the phone in their actual palm? I am right handed but actually find that holding the phone in my left hand is more comfortable and the phone rests more on my fingers than in my palm because it is more comfortable for me at least. I just did a test and my thumb extended about a half an inch beyond the top of the phone and on the sides. I do not have large hands either. In any case I used a 4.3" Evo and already know it was no harder to use one handed than an iPhone and know plenty of women petite in stature that also seem to manage quite well.