Rumored March launch of high-res 'iPad 3' portrayed as 'completely accurate'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I still put no stock in the Retina display on iPad3. Makes no sense from a manufacturing or competitive standpoint.

"Makes no sense from a manufacturing or competitive standpoint."

Why not? It definitely became a competitive standpoint when the iPhone 4 was introduced. Adding a 2048x1536 resolution screen would definitely making reading and using Safari so much better plus the added benefit of improving graphics in games.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

"Plausible" how? How will apps scale to a larger screen without needing to be re-written?

"Likely" how? Likely as in, they've refused to make a larger iPhone in 5 years, with absolutely no detrimental effect on sales? So now all of a sudden they're gonna make it bigger?

The way I see it as plausible is 3 fold.

1) Scaling to around 4" while lessening the side border and/or thinning the device could allow for the same or even better range with your thumb when one handed.

2) Apple did not release a new iPod Touch this past Autumn. While the Autumn release for the iPod is typical Apple has never released the iPod Touch alongside the new iPhone which tells me the G5 iPod Touch will come early this year, perhaps demoed with the next iPad. This would be the perfect opportunity for Apple to grow the iPod brand by offering a larger size in the ≈4"( and, perhaps, ≈7") size.

3) Still maintaining the 960x640 resolution. With games items would simply be a bit larger and for detailed apps elements would be larger but not annoyingly so even though not ideal. While iOS would have been adjusted for the change they could release an updated version of Xcode that day and give developers about 6 months to ready their wares for an impending iPhone of the same dimensions. The difference in PPI still falls within Retina Display for someone with 20/20 vision from 12" away. Since this would be a PMP release and not a smartphone the "detrimental effect" is severely diminished.

This is not to say this is a prediction, just a scenario that would facilitate Apple being able to move the iPhone into a larger default display with minimal drawback.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Gruber

Hardware: New iPads early in 2012, including high-end models with double-resolution retina displays. I think Apple will continue selling the existing iPad 2 alongside the new ones, or introduce a new lower-end model that still sports today’s 1024- by 768-pixel screen, simply because I think the retina-display iPad will be a bit expensive. I think the new iPads models will use the same screen size as today’s—no 7-inch model.

Hmm. This makes me think I was right to believe there'd be a $200 difference between the carry-over iPad 2 and iPad 3, but wrong that the iPad 3 would still start at $499. Based on Gruber's comment, I'm now thinking that the line-up will start like this:

iPad 2 16GB/WiFi (dual-core A5, 1024x768 display)i: $399

iPad 3 32GB/WiFi (quad-core A6, 2048x1536 display): $599

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iPad 4 rumor in 2012 makes as much sense as Gruber's iPad 3 prediction, which was supposed to happen in the fall of 2011. Both predictions and rumors were and are equally retarded.

I don't recall Gruber ever backing the 2011 iPad 3 release rumor; in fact I remember him being very much opposed to it.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

I still put no stock in the Retina display on iPad3. Makes no sense from a manufacturing or competitive standpoint.

thats a certainty, by now.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:

I put plenty of stock in Retina Display on the iPad, my only concern is that the technology to support it may be not be ideal for a 2012 release. Cost, display thickness, backlight brightness, power usage, and GPU performance are my main concerns.

As tru_canuk stated the iPhone 4's display was a competitive move. Right now the iPad's display isn't pretty good others are coming out with slightly higher PPI displays on 10" tablets ? reminiscence of the iPhone 3G compared to other high-end smartphones ? and on 7" tablets and especially eReaders ? reminiscence of the iPhone 3GS compared to other high-end smartphones*?the PPI is even higher with much crisper reading which I think Apple want to focus on, especially with textbook, magazines and newspapers where HiDPI is greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I don't recall Gruber ever backing the 2011 iPad 3 release rumor; in fact I remember him being very much opposed to it.

You obviously remember wrong, because not only did he back it, but he was one of the geniuses who started the whole rumor. How can he be making fun of any iPad 4 rumor when he was basically saying the exact same thing last year?

We don't have an official announcement of the iPad 2 yet, but Daring Fireball's John Gruber is already speculating that the iPad 3 -- what he says will be a competitor to the just-announced HP TouchPad -- will be ready by fall.

"If my theory is right, they're [HP] not only going to be months behind the iPad 2, but if they slip until late summer, they might bump up against the release of the iPad 3," Gruber speculated on Wednesday.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/10/grube...ing-this-fall/
  • Reply 27 of 75
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

You obviously remember wrong, because not only did he back it, but he was one of the geniuses who started the whole rumor. How can he be making fun of any iPad 4 rumor when he was basically saying the exact same thing last year?

We don't have an official announcement of the iPad 2 yet, but Daring Fireball's John Gruber is already speculating that the iPad 3 -- what he says will be a competitor to the just-announced HP TouchPad -- will be ready by fall.

"If my theory is right, they're [HP] not only going to be months behind the iPad 2, but if they slip until late summer, they might bump up against the release of the iPad 3," Gruber speculated on Wednesday.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/10/grube...ing-this-fall/

Huh, yup I was definitely remembering wrong!
  • Reply 28 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

No biggie, we all forget things sometimes.

The reason I remember it, is because when I read that rumor back then, it was the first time that I'd ever heard of that guy and I was shocked at how many sites were quoting such a retarded and ignorant prediction, so the name stuck in my head.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:

I had thought what you thought. Likely assuming that Gruber, who is usually making rational remarks, wouldn't have stated such an outlandish and foolish comment.

I have to wonder if his "source(s)" only got part of it right as the rumour for the HiDPI iPad display indicate they started ramping up production of the displays in the Fall.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    http://favstar.fm/users/The_Smoking_...tus/3901093613

To gruber -

Definition: to make incorrect predictions with great confidence: Dude, you really grubered that one, didn't you?

• Reply 31 of 75
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Someone thinks that ...

J.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:

Hmm. This makes me think I was right to believe there'd be a $200 difference between the carry-over iPad 2 and iPad 3, but wrong that the iPad 3 would still start at $499. Based on Gruber's comment, I'm now thinking that the line-up will start like this:

iPad 2 16GB/WiFi (dual-core A5, 1024x768 display)i: $399

iPad 3 32GB/WiFi (quad-core A6, 2048x1536 display): $599

The current iPad with 32GB in base form retails for $599 so I think you underestimate just how much a high-rez screen at that size will add to the price.

I think what is possible is that Apple will keep the current pricing for the base model but with the difference that all iPads will come with 3G (or whatever) connectivity. So you'd have a $499 (US) 16GB iPad with wi-fi+3G and then you'd have the step-up version that would come in at around $229 more but for 32GB and of course the hi-rez screen. This would not constitute a significant price increase in that the current 32GB model with 3G retails in the US for $729, as would the new high-rez version. Apple has done this sort of thing before.

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of iPads are sold with 3G.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    DaringFireballInsider! reporting on all the latest Daring Fireball news...
  • Reply 34 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of iPads are sold with 3G.

Back in June of this year, Jeffries claimed 66%.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ds-apple-execs
  • Reply 35 of 75
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

As long as it will slip into my pocket and not break when I sit I am happy. My Brother's Galaxy S broke on his second time of sitting, but the damn thing is way to big and too tight in the pocket. Yes, we are a family divided. LOL

Anyone who puts a smartphone into a rear trouser pocket deserves that to happen to them. It simply wouldn't cross my mind. Maybe he's a country boy and thus doesn't have the natural suspicion that city folk have about putting valuables in rear pockets on busy city streets.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You don't need any connections or contacts at Apple to guess that the next iPad will arrive about a year after the last one or to predict that the resolution will increase. You could also extrapolate that it will have probably have better cameras, Siri, faster CPU and GPU as well. duh...

As to his last prediction, I would be shocked if the next iPhone doesn't have larger than a 3.5" screen. No, Apple won't make a 4.65" monstrosity, but certainly something in the 3.8" to 4.1" range seems not only plausible but very likely.

Why? Why would Apple increase its display by 0.3"?
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Why? Why would Apple increase its display by 0.3"?

You're talking about a diagonal resulting in a height, width and area change. While I don't think 0.3" would happen I can see 0.5" or 0.6" increase.
    3.5" 3:2 = 5.65" sq (1.94" x 2.91")

3.8" 3:2 = 6.66" sq (2.11" x 3.16")

4.0" 3:2 = 7.38" sq (2.22" x 3.33")

4.1" 3:2 = 7.76" sq (2.27" x 3.41")
  • Reply 38 of 75
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    The title is awfully amusing when it comes to the phrase "completely accurate," seeing the content of this article is far from it.

I've long complained about the bad spelling on AppleInsider, and it's clear to me that I am one of the few who is voicing it, as evidenced by the fact these foolish misspellings continue. We don't live in the 1970's anymore, when we didn't have spelling checkers, more less PCs. Even so, we did have paper dictionaries back then, and educated people used them. But with the convenience of digital spell checking today, there are no more excuses NOT to use proper spelling. Or has the American public school system failed so badly for the majority of readers here that no one even notices it or cares anymore?

"big expensive" in the article should read "bit expensive."

Shame on everyone associated with the article for allowing the bad English to continue. I long for the day that AppleInsider spelling and punctuation is "completely accurate."
  • Reply 39 of 75
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

As long as it will slip into my pocket and not break when I sit I am happy. My Brother's Galaxy S broke on his second time of sitting, but the damn thing is way to big and too tight in the pocket. Yes, we are a family divided. LOL

The family is divided and so is the Android!

• Reply 40 of 75
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

The iPad 4 rumor in 2012 makes as much sense as Gruber's iPad 3 prediction, which was supposed to happen in the fall of 2011. Both predictions and rumors were and are equally retarded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're talking about a diagonal resulting in a height, width and area change. While I don't think 0.3" would happen I can see 0.5" or 0.6" increase.
    3.5" 3:2 = 5.65" sq (1.94" x 2.91")

3.8" 3:2 = 6.66" sq (2.11" x 3.16")

4.0" 3:2 = 7.38" sq (2.22" x 3.33")

4.1" 3:2 = 7.76" sq (2.27" x 3.41")

I understand the measurement refers to the diagonal. I'm lazier than you and didn't bother working out the implied increments in length and width. But from what an old Egyptian math dude taught us, it was safe to assume that 0.3" increase in the diagonal would result in a smaller change in L and W. So 0.3" makes no sense.

As for 0.5" - i.e. 4.0" diagonal ... I still see it as a slightly better than marginal increase in screen size. But, as described here - http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20110708203600, Apple might do this without increasing the physical width of the phone (i.e. using the previously much-rumored edge-to-edge display). On the other hand, they lose the Retina Display. It seems non-Applesque to introduce an iPad with a display with a higher pixel density and yet decrease the same feature on the iPhone.

These are the dilemmas that keep Apple executives up at night, not to mention Apple rumor mongers.