Password on a file

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Is there an app which would allow me to save a file (Word or Excel or other) with a password or a password protected folder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarilynS View Post

Is there an app which would allow me to save a file (Word or Excel or other) with a password or a password protected folder?

You can password protect a PDF.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Thanks for the reply but how do I password protect a PDF and then open it on the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply but how do I password protect a PDF and then open it on the iPad.

That depends on how you are creating the PDF. Do you have a Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No - I use a PC. I normally create a PDF in word.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

No - I use a PC. I normally create a PDF in word.

Ah. I don't know how to create an encrypted (password-protected) PDF in Windows without using Adobe Acrobat (Reader can't do this, at least not on the Mac). On the Mac, the built-in Preview application allows you to save a PDF as an encrypted version. Somebody else might know about software you can use on Windows to do this without buying Acrobat.

Once created, the easiest way to store the document on your iPad is to copy it to iBooks and open it under the PDF collection tab. The iPad will ask for a password before opening it. Note that if you close and reopen the encrypted document within a few minutes it won't challenge you for a password again. I haven't tested to determine exactly how long it takes for this requirement to reset, but I'd say it's around five minutes.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks for the help. I found a free program, PDFCreator, to make an encypted PDF and then opened it in Dropbox on the iPad. I wouldn't have thought to look for this without your suggestions so thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Great!